Free range Waterbuck in South Texas

I've got some coastal free range scotch at my place in Anahuac buck wild of us want to swing by and talk about it!
Cody

BS @Bullthrower338 !!!!

That scotch ain't free range at all!!!!!
  • First fenced by the barrel
  • Then fenced by the bottle
  • Then fenced by the glass
  • Then fenced by mouth and stomach
  • And finally fenced in your toilet, unless your aim is bad I guess.... :eek:
How in the heck is that free range???? :whistle:

Alright I'm actually offering a "canned" drinking session after all! Lol
But I planned on walking around my property several times before drinking it to give a more free range feel!
Cody

wait, theres warthog in texas? Now that's a rare hunt to be on. I guess at least until they spread like wild hog.

And finally fenced in your toilet, unless your aim is bad I guess.
I'm guessing this is where it goes wild and totally free range :p:rolleyes:o_O

There is a pocket of free range African animals on a large ,coastal ranch about 1.5 hrs from my house. They have waterbuck, oryx, lechwe etc with established breeding herds. Here was a recent waterbuck 27" with 9 1/2" bases.
PS This was not my kill- I just lifted the pic :)

View attachment 148889

Looks like the hunter is pretty happy with the result.
It is a nice trophy.

Whatever @JGRaider... My post actually preceded your post about West Texas, which your message concurred with. The difference in discussion would be definition of "free range".... (i.e. no fences) vs. Low Fence vs. High Fence. Later post were just joking.

BTW.... Suffice to say I am a little familiar with TX. Lived here & hunted here my entire life.
Pronghorns in Marfa area
Elk in the Glass Mtns
Muleys in Marathon area
Lease next to King Ranch
Leases in Hill Country
Own "low fence" farm

There's no Elk in Texas. :whistle:

Whatever @JGRaider... My post actually preceded your post about West Texas, which your message concurred with. The difference in discussion would be definition of "free range".... (i.e. no fences) vs. Low Fence vs. High Fence. Later post were just joking.

Just setting the record straight, and answering your question.

BTW.... Suffice to say I am a little familiar with TX. Lived here & hunted here my entire life.
Pronghorns in Marfa area
Elk in the Glass Mtns
Muleys in Marathon area
Lease next to King Ranch
Leases in Hill Country
Own "low fence" farm

You've hunted and seen some great parts of the state then for sure. I've been chasing big game in TX since 1971 myself, and I love deer hunting in the Trans-Pecos, as well as having had the chance to cull over 100 aoudad on various places there and in the caprock area SW of Lubbock. Love hunting the Panhandle too, but my favorite thing to do is chase big muleys in the W TX sandhills.

Reactions: BWH
My brother (doesn't hunt), has a friend (doesn't hunt).... I know bizarre.. Anyways, owns a big parcel of land out west of Midland in the sandhills. Apparently, there are some MONSTER muleys there. He said they are not plentiful, but absolute monster genetics supposedly.

Why is there an argument on free range ? As I understand the area the waterbuck was hunted is hi fenced just like any ranch in Africa not free range .
free range does not say a lot about how the animal was hunted waiting on a waterhole on a "free range " area or hunting on foot tracking day in and day out for your trophy on a ranch witch is more rewarding at the end of the day?
The hunter took a good mature animal and has a great trophy for his trophy room and another story for his hunting book

Congrats on a great trophy

My brother (doesn't hunt), has a friend (doesn't hunt).... I know bizarre.. Anyways, owns a big parcel of land out west of Midland in the sandhills. Apparently, there are some MONSTER muleys there. He said they are not plentiful, but absolute monster genetics supposedly.

Yessir. Our survey's show a deer density of 1 deer per 300 acres, but the rewards can be tremendous.

Why is there an argument on free range ? As I understand the area the waterbuck was hunted is hi fenced just like any ranch in Africa not free range .
free range does not say a lot about how the animal was hunted waiting on a waterhole on a "free range " area or hunting on foot tracking day in and day out for your trophy on a ranch witch is more rewarding at the end of the day?
The hunter took a good mature animal and has a great trophy for his trophy room and another story for his hunting book

Congrats on a great trophy

That waterbuck was not shot in a high fenced ranch, that was the point. Free range = no high fences to me, but it matters not to me what you call it.

Reactions: BWH
No argument..... I believe post started out as free range.... either way fine by me. Just unusual to see a waterbuck roaming free in TX.... that's all. No debating that. All good.

This whole thread really makes me wanna go try Nilgai down there some day. I understand its a good time and a great eating animal to boot.

Very close to beef! Excellent table fare.

I'm gonna try that nilgai as well some day. Hopefully sooner than later. Never tasted it before either, but many have agreed with BWH on the subject.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg