Form

1958 Project Archangel

Lockheed “Skunk works” designs the SR-71
It could fly 4400 fps

IMG_4149.jpeg

The fuselage had to be built loose for expansion due air friction. The fuselage is the fuel tank. Shell oil developed a new Avgas called JP7 so when the fuel leaked out it didn’t catch fire. You can put a cigarette out in it.

It was supposed to be called RS-71 for reconnaissance, but when unveiling it President Johnson misspoke and called it the SR-71 and it stuck.

My late cousin worked on the SR-71 avionics when he was in the Air Force. He told me once they leak fuel from everywhere when on the tarmac. I guess they're supposed too though.

My late cousin worked on the SR-71 avionics when he was in the Air Force. He told me once they leak fuel from everywhere when on the tarmac. I guess they're supposed too though.
I worked with a fellow, that in a past life was ground crew for SR-71's. The fuel tank seals were designed to completely seal the fuel tanks at Mach 2+ speeds, as the heat caused expansion of the seals (gaskets), no leakage, and range achieved.

At ambient ground temperature, the seals were not completely sealing. Ambient effective seals would melt at above Mach 2 speeds.

Hence, when launching an SR-71, fuel poured out on takeoff. Ground crew topped off the fuel tanks at the last minute, the aircraft rolled down the runway, spewing fuel, and when the aircraft hit speed above Mach 1, the seals would expand from the heat/friction, then the aircraft could achieve the range and mission.

Always a mess to clean up the runway of fuel. That's how they rolled.

The P-38 Lightning. Kelly Johnson's "Skunk Works" first genius design, a great fighter plane in WWII, in both Europe and Pacific. Incredible seeing this old warbird fly.

View attachment 602876
Richard "Dick" Bong shot down 40 Japanese aircraft in WW2 in his P38 and became our top ace during the war. Awesome feat and aircraft!

View attachment 600862View attachment 600863
Something about the lines and design of the F-14 Tomcat, whether seen in the adjustable swept wing configuration or open, always spoke to me. Badass and must have struck fear into the hearts of a few Libyan pilots in the 1980s, among others.
Got to guard at my squadron the first to come out of PAX and fly round the fleet, also got to make parts for the last in service before it went to dry storage!

I absolutely agree on the E-Type.

I will also second the motion on the wonder of Jaguar engines. My experience is with the V-12, not the 6, but I do enjoy it.

I am also surprised by the reliability of my Rover. It has really been wonderful.

That said, the thing to keep in mind with both Jaguars and Land Rovers is the problems that were brought by poor financially driven engineering decisions made by British Leyland. But that's a different rant entirely.

I will disagree regarding the form of the 911. Don't get me wrong, I love classic 911s. I've owned/driven several. But their form was remarkable in that it was completely driven by function. The hood line was as low as possible to reduce windage, but the headlights needed to be that high. That "bathtub" rear end was exactly right to cover the rear engine. Completely function driven. Even the "Tea-Tray" whale tail used on the 930 was required by the height of the intercooler.

As far as airplanes go, yes, the Tomcat does look wonderful. And the story of why Iran bought the Tomcat and not the Eagle is also interesting... and has a lot to do with the difference between Air Force pilots and Naval Aviators. But when it comes to airplanes (and speaking of form following function), well:

View attachment 601178
I also love the Corsair!

Richard "Dick" Bong shot down 40 Japanese aircraft in WW2 in his P38 and became our top ace during the war. Awesome feat and aircraft!
Yes!

A flight of eight P-38's, from Guadalcanal, intercepted and shot down and killed Admiral Isokoru Yamamoto, over Bougainville, Papua, New Guinea in 1943.

Yamamoto was the architect of the Pearl Harbor attack. They got him.

The flight of eight P-38's flew over 600 miles, one way, radio silence, dead reckoning navigation, and arrived 3 minutes early. Signals intelligence from the US Navy informed the Army Air Corps of the flight path and schedule.

The P-38s circled until the Betty bombers (Mitsubishi twin engine bombers), one carrying Admiral Yamamoto, arrived to land on Bougainville.

The flight of P-38's got him. They toasted several Zero's and Betty planes, with Yamamoto's Betty bomber destroyed, confirmed crashed in the jungle of Papua New Guinea.

The P-38's headed back to Henderson Field, Guadalcanal, with 3 of the 8 planes lost on the way back.

Greatest Generation again stepped up.

Airplanes:
It's hard to pick just one. I've been fascinated with aircraft since I was a kid I've no idea how many Tester's airplane models I put together when I was growing up.

WWII Era: The form of the Corsair and Spitfire makes them the prettiest. The design that was ahead of its time in the P-38 mentioned above by the Cajun Chef is hard to argue with. But my preference overall is for the P-51 Mustang.

Modern Jet Military Era: Again so hard to say. They all have their places and serve specific roles so well. However, I'm biased. My first job out of college was at General Dynamics in Ft Worth, TX. I worked on the F-16 aircraft and it remains my favorite.

If you ever find yourself in Palm Springs, CA (anathema for many here on AH to find themselves in) and you have interest in aircraft I cannot stress how enjoyable the experience was for a day at the Palm Springs Air Museum. That is a treat with many WWII operational aircraft. You can even book a ride in a few they have there, including a P-51. It is pricy however.

Cars: If it's fast and looks good, I'm a fan. I do have a leaning towards the old. Perhaps the car of days gone by that turns my head the most is the Ford Shelby Cobra.

I’ve always been fascinated with aircraft. One of my favorites is the Lockheed Electra. The first all-metal aircraft. Those huge radials on a mid-sized AC make a statement. I’d love to have one as my personal aircraft. I wouldn’t mind the relative slowness compared to a private jet. When flying one of these, I would be in no hurry! Yes, Amélia Earhart met her end in a modified version.

IMG_0743.jpeg

1958 Project Archangel

Lockheed “Skunk works” designs the SR-71
It could fly 4400 fps

View attachment 602860

There is one on display at the Museum of Aviation at Robins AFB, Warner Robins GA. BTW, it still leaking fluids. LOL!!!! If you are in these neck of the woods, swing by, the entrance is free.

1714669765965.png

You want to talk sexy, well it doesn't get any better than this. :love:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwardSnea

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.