Form 4457

The real question is if you have a 4457 that doesn't have a date on the form itself do you have to go get a new one? Mine is dated by hand 6/14/13.

Wait, on the back in small print it says *US GPO:2001 645 005/50046. Is that the date that SAPS is fussing about?

Yes, you have to get a new one for SAPS. A 2013 dated 4457 is long outdated for SAPS use.

And No, the "new, dated" 4457s came out last year IIRC. SAPS would not accept any prior versions, even though identical for all intents and purposes. For whatever reason SAPS and maybe other entities around the world started using the US 4457 as some sort of gun registration. Which obviously it is NOT, was never intended to be and will never be. The 4457 is simply a US Customs document intended to show possession thus ownership for purposes of "duty" and or "customs" upon re-entering the US. No matter, when in a foreign country you are subject to their rules.

An archives search of this and other forums from last year will show all manner of discussion of the new SAPS requirement for the "new" 4457.

Easy process so far... waiting on them to finish my paperwork!

Got my 4457 yesterday. Easy as could be. If you are south of Houston. Sugarland Airport on Hwy 6 has an office. One man office at that. Called them and they said come on and to call when i got there and he would unlock gate. Spent more time talking hunting than did to get 4457

You were able to talk to them on the phone? The northern office has an automatic menu with 11 items -- none of which have to do with the Form 4457 and when you select "other" it just goes back to the beginning of the menu. I selected another menu option to try to get to a human and it, too, just went back to the menu.

You were able to talk to them on the phone? The northern office has an automatic menu with 11 items -- none of which have to do with the Form 4457 and when you select "other" it just goes back to the beginning of the menu. I selected another menu option to try to get to a human and it, too, just went back to the menu.
Just go to the office mon thru Friday 8-4 and tell them what you want to do. I can’t stand these phone menu systems.

I am not going to bother. I am going to Namibia, not RSA, and I haven't heard anything about Namibia not honoring old 4457s.

I am not going to bother. I am going to Namibia, not RSA, and I haven't heard anything about Namibia not honoring old 4457s.

If you are traveling through RSA your guns will be checked there first and you’ll have to abide by their rules.

If you are traveling through RSA your guns will be checked there first and you’ll have to abide by their rules.

If your guns are checked through to namibia you will not need to check guns at all in SA. Will all depend on your flights.

Going straight to Namibia on the way over and guns will be checked all the way through on the way back.

Going straight to Namibia on the way over and guns will be checked all the way through on the way back.

Then you are good to go. I did it last year no problems at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.