For the tractor lovers

Screenshot_20230417-221339_Gallery.jpg

Those John Deere 2 cylinders were tough. My dad farmed with them for years before he traded his 630 for a 4020 in the fall of 1963. It was a '64 model, one of the first ones sold in Minnesota.

I still have two of his B's and a 60 that we farmed with. The main action they see now is parades and a threshing show once a year.

Very interesting and informative thread to ME. I really don't know much about tractors. My father in law has an older Ford tractor he bought in the '90s when building his home and I enjoy watching the "tractor pull" event at our county fair every year. Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen International Harvester mentioned? Also, are any "working" tractors made/used with a turbine engine like I've seen used in the tractor pull events? Thanks!

There have been some mentions of International, which is short for IH, Farmall turned into IH, and several mentions of IH model numbers which you wouldn't get if you don't know much about tractors. There are several turboed tractors, I have owned 2 in the 200 hp range, most small ones are naturally aspirated, I'm not sure where the turbos come into play.

There have been some mentions of International, which is short for IH, Farmall turned into IH, and several mentions of IH model numbers which you wouldn't get if you don't know much about tractors. There are several turboed tractors, I have owned 2 in the 200 hp range, most small ones are naturally aspirated, I'm not sure where the turbos come into play.
Thanks for enlightening me regarding the IH designation. Guess I missed it. But the turbine engines I've seen on some of the modified tractors in tractor pull contests are "jet" engines. Similar to the ones in an Abrams tank. They are super loud and the weighted sleds they pull in the contests are no match for them. I guess they're just made for the contests and not for farming?

Very interesting and informative thread to ME. I really don't know much about tractors. My father in law has an older Ford tractor he bought in the '90s when building his home and I enjoy watching the "tractor pull" event at our county fair every year. Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen International Harvester mentioned? Also, are any "working" tractors made/used with a turbine engine like I've seen used in the tractor pull events? Thanks!
@CoElkHunter
Mate I did a lot of ploughed fields with an all dual wheel IH Case when I lived in Wagga. I think it was a 300hp turbo model, I forget the number.
Bob

This evening I was disking with the old 9600 ford. This was on a good hard pull, up a hill. Listening to the governor working and the whine of the turbo in cool air is magic to a farm boy.
View attachment 528445
@Wyatt Smith
If you want to have fun with a city boy ask him to fill the radiator on a Duetz tractor. That's funny watching them look for it on an air cooled tractor. It's quite funny when you ask them how they got on and they say fine the jobs done. I've had a few good laughs with that one.
Bob

To this day I still do some of my best thinking on the tractor seat. My hearing is terrible though from those pre-cab days in the 1960’s probably just as much as from shooting without hearing protection.

Not my video but my tractor. Akin to @Bob Nelson 35Whelen having someone fill the Duetz radiator, I keep a tire pressure gauge in the toolbox.
Confuses people when I toss it down and ask them to check tire pressure.
Video is 14 years old for the record. 1884 cubic inches in two cylinders. There is not a ball or roller bearing on it anywhere. All Babbitt bearings.
Lots less work than steam, makes me appreciate turn key diesel with a cab.

Not my video but my tractor. Akin to @Bob Nelson 35Whelen having someone fill the Duetz radiator, I keep a tire pressure gauge in the toolbox.
Confuses people when I toss it down and ask them to check tire pressure.
Video is 14 years old for the record. 1884 cubic inches in two cylinders. There is not a ball or roller bearing on it anywhere. All Babbitt bearings.
Lots less work than steam, makes me appreciate turn key diesel with a cab.
What year was that tractor made?

Thanks for enlightening me regarding the IH designation. Guess I missed it. But the turbine engines I've seen on some of the modified tractors in tractor pull contests are "jet" engines. Similar to the ones in an Abrams tank. They are super loud and the weighted sleds they pull in the contests are no match for them. I guess they're just made for the contests and not for farming?
I think your reference to a tubine engine is being confused by some with a turbo charged engine;)

No, I've never seen a turbine engine in an actual farming tractor. But damn! What fun at a tractor pull! A couple decades ago there was one in our region.... the owner would take a bucket of fuel and dump in the exhaust. The light it and phoof! Flames would shoot way up and you'd hear, whirring and she'd pickup speed and woof, WOOF. WOOF! And it woukd be running, he'd just screem down the track....

I still love the Super Stocks the best.... Blue printered and balanced souped up screening diesels fed whatever magical concoction they spray into them. Coal black smoke. Let's go Brandon!!!

Last edited:
To this day I still do some of my best thinking on the tractor seat. My hearing is terrible though from those pre-cab days in the 1960’s probably just as much as from shooting without hearing protection.
+1 on thinking and hearing loss;)

Heck I did most of my budgeting in my head with notes in the dust on the cab windows for my first freestall barn almost 30 years ago:)

Here's one my IH tractors I bought for piling and packing silage.... we have several, red, blue and green;)
20210715_111056.jpg
20210715_111140.jpg

@Wyatt Smith
If you want to have fun with a city boy ask him to fill the radiator on a Duetz tractor. That's funny watching them look for it on an air cooled tractor. It's quite funny when you ask them how they got on and they say fine the jobs done. I've had a few good laughs with that one.
Bob
my uncle and grand unc had 3 of em-they were super-reliable and cheaper than the JDs that had worn out!

I really need to keep this short. Coming from a 2-dairy farm fam and too many friends to mention in the business, I've driven and fixed just about everything there was (including 1900s Fordsons-mainly fixing in that vein!!!) ('learned how to drive on tractors when i was 5-wth was my dad thinking?? lol) I'm just glad i saw nothing Orange and fully hydraulically-controlled posted above. those are not tractors, but toys. One thing that comes to mind...within certain reasonable limits, the Older a (mechanical) tractor, the more reliable it is. It was built by people (including those running the corporations!) that put their all into the product. To this day, our 1958 Massey Ferguson starts up every time and performs flawlessly. The '68 and '73 Fords-same exact thing! '65 and '75 JDs-No problemos, EVER! (no hydraulic shift/clutch nonsense-they Will go bad and cost you!) '04 JD not many problems (stupid things like belt tensioners and external brake lever seals that didn't exist prior,) and LMAO- MF 2020-Hmmmmmm.....everything has an electronic solenoid switch and relay, such that a Bud Light-drinking gender-bender can't cause him-herself any lawsuit-inducing issues w/ the manufacturer! LOL Also emission-controls...You're plowing, etc. and the damn thing powers down and you must sit still at full throttle so that it essentially cleans out the muffler. :p I must say that I'm not liking things made post 2015'ish. Too much money, and too little quality. Countless videos on Youtube TV about what you should expect.....It saddens me that the majority of tractors sold today are little toys for gentlemen. HUGE dealerships have downscaled for the new economy and having to sell tractors from China, Italy, India, etc. SMH. The Ford w/ my Dad driving-he had just been cured of Leukemia (from being exposed to too many chemicals both in the service and on the farm!!!,) but had a heart condition from the smokes given him in the service with his paychecks...and that was it for him (shortly after we worked 3 weeks tirelessly after work to restore his first real tractor. He kept yelling at my Mom "WTF is my little Ford???!!! Why did he take it???!!! What did he do to it???!!! LOL" My poor Mom. He forgave us on this day when we delivered it back in showroom condition!

IMG_20180421_153506093_HDR.jpg
469857_10151033696975208_278647506_o.jpg
IMG_20210725_150330~2.jpg
51032.jpeg
IMG_20191006_140555935~2.jpg
IMG_20200905_111626731.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelinaVa

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you