For the tractor lovers

I'm thinking (dangerous) again, but I have thought that throughout the vast farming acreage in this country and elsewhere throughout the world, tractors that could run on 100% corn ethanol from local sources would have been manufactured? I would think over time it would be much cheaper than having to bring in and/or rely on the market prices for diesel or gasoline? For many decades here, tractors ran on gasoline before diesel, so why not ethanol now?

I'm thinking (dangerous) again, but I have thought that throughout the vast farming acreage in this country and elsewhere throughout the world, tractors that could run on 100% corn ethanol from local sources would have been manufactured? I would think over time it would be much cheaper than having to bring in and/or rely on the market prices for diesel or gasoline? For many decades here, tractors ran on gasoline before diesel, so why not ethanol now?
So many reasons! I have books from the early 1900’s that state alcohol will be the fuel of the future. It never happened for many reasons. Alcohol is hydroscopic,it readily absorbs water. Not good for any fuel system. Alcohol is lower in BTU’s than other fuels, so it takes more fuel for equal power. The cost of producing fuel grade alcohol is high. Price alcohol racing fuel. Spark ignition is the only way to burn it. It has been a while since there has been a farm tractor sold here in the US with spark ignition.
Alcohol looks really good until you factor in all the down sides.

I really need to keep this short. Coming from a 2-dairy farm fam and too many friends to mention in the business, I've driven and fixed just about everything there was (including 1900s Fordsons-mainly fixing in that vein!!!) ('learned how to drive on tractors when i was 5-wth was my dad thinking?? lol) I'm just glad i saw nothing Orange and fully hydraulically-controlled posted above. those are not tractors, but toys. One thing that comes to mind...within certain reasonable limits, the Older a (mechanical) tractor, the more reliable it is. It was built by people (including those running the corporations!) that put their all into the product. To this day, our 1958 Massey Ferguson starts up every time and performs flawlessly. The '68 and '73 Fords-same exact thing! '65 and '75 JDs-No problemos, EVER! (no hydraulic shift/clutch nonsense-they Will go bad and cost you!) '04 JD not many problems (stupid things like belt tensioners and external brake lever seals that didn't exist prior,) and LMAO- MF 2020-Hmmmmmm.....everything has an electronic solenoid switch and relay, such that a Bud Light-drinking gender-bender can't cause him-herself any lawsuit-inducing issues w/ the manufacturer! LOL Also emission-controls...You're plowing, etc. and the damn thing powers down and you must sit still at full throttle so that it essentially cleans out the muffler. :p I must say that I'm not liking things made post 2015'ish. Too much money, and too little quality. Countless videos on Youtube TV about what you should expect.....It saddens me that the majority of tractors sold today are little toys for gentlemen. HUGE dealerships have downscaled for the new economy and having to sell tractors from China, Italy, India, etc. SMH. The Ford w/ my Dad driving-he had just been cured of Leukemia (from being exposed to too many chemicals both in the service and on the farm!!!,) but had a heart condition from the smokes given him in the service with his paychecks...and that was it for him (shortly after we worked 3 weeks tirelessly after work to restore his first real tractor. He kept yelling at my Mom "WTF is my little Ford???!!! Why did he take it???!!! What did he do to it???!!! LOL" My poor Mom. He forgave us on this day when we delivered it back in showroom condition!
lol left out a few (the one i started out on at 5 and then a couple newer acquisitions!) too many memories-so few photos-it's a lotta good, therapeutic work with good views!)

2012-05-17_20-42-39_619.jpg
2012-05-25_21-15-32_258.jpg
85258712_10157105423915208_825707978052075520_n.jpg
181012002_10158128588500208_5782658232847836045_n.jpg
181320681_10158125956410208_4082492026763166104_n.jpg
IMG_20200905_111547023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
they make it near me (for the 10% inclusion to gas.) I believe it doesn't possess the lubricative properties of heavier petro fuels and you'd burn so much more of it. (why chainsaws die prematurely if using ethanol fuels.) Now, if we used a higher % of typ american fast food grease mixed into fuels-that'd work! lol I've read about some guys getting filters clogged by pieces of french fries, etc. LOL 10% ethanol, 10% McDs waste, 80% American-made gas of diesel-I'm IN! The e-tractors crap out after a few hours. lol

I still love the Super Stocks the best.... Blue printered and balanced souped up screening diesels fed whatever magical concoction they spray into them. Coal black smoke. Let's go Brandon!!!
Farm stock is my favorite class. I like to see them as they come out of the field.
Four wheel drives are whole different kind of fun. We had a New Holland TJ 450 for while, that thing was a beast. Dad had a 900 Versatile with a 903 Cummins when I was a little kid, then a Massey 4880 with the 903 again.
I missed the last week of the sixth grade because I was field cultivating with the 835 Versatile.

This is why farmers have to be their own mechanics too. LOL
i learned SO much having to fix Everything for my dad, starting at a young age. Why I wound up in my career, originally creating large machines to clean up toxic waste spills.

lol left out a few (the one i started out on at 5 and then a couple newer acquisitions!) too many memories-so few photos-it's a lotta good, therapeutic work with good views!)
IH had factories in Canada and one closer in Batavia NY so most neighbors had 'em. My Dad had farmalls and IH, but they were sold off when i was a kid. Neighbors all still have 'em. The dealerships are all gone-IH/MF/JD/Ford. It's a sad day. But what was originally said above...there is nothing finer than the whine/hissing of a big turbo diesel tractor doing its work!!! ;) I think the same of my truck! No odor, no black smoke whatsoever with the modern ones...just high torque.

I enjoy ready everyone of the threads here. My most fond memories of using tractors:
I'm still all with all my body parts intact.

Glad I no longer have the want to use a foreign tractor to clean milk parlor paddock and bush hog using tractors with no brakes.

Of the 3 dairy farms, all owned by the same person, one was leased out, of the six same foreign made tractors only one hard an operational single wheel brake the other wheel brake didn't work.

After several months of using one particular tractor of the two on one farm I later realized it was the scrape blade that had been stopping the tractor and not the brakes, it wasn't until then I was told neither tractor had working brakes. This was after I had jumped on the tractor and managed to stop it before it went into a very deep ditch after I loaded the hay shredder with a round bale.

The second incident happened when two of us from the second farm were sent to help out on the leased farm.

There while scraping the milk parlor paddock I got to close to the edge where the manure went down the chute to the lagoon. Lifted the blade and the tractor started to slide down the manure chute to the lagoon. Afterwards I was told neither of the tractors on this farm had working brakes.

Prior to the owner selling out the owner invited all the workers to the main farm. On our way there as I was about to ask, in unison the fellows I worked with said, nope the tractors here don't have working brakes either.

Years later I took my stud horse to my folks place to breed a mare. He had a bought small well used Massey it had working brakes, but it always seemed it had to be worked on every morning when we had work to do. If we just wanted to move here or there, load up a hay wagon for a hayride it was always working fine. So we claimed; Guess we have a lazy Massey or Ferguson, one in every crowd.:LOL::LOL:

Now my stepdad has 2 tractors to play with, but no farm land to play on. Both tractors are old fairly reliable Ford's.

Last edited:
So many reasons! I have books from the early 1900’s that state alcohol will be the fuel of the future. It never happened for many reasons. Alcohol is hydroscopic,it readily absorbs water. Not good for any fuel system. Alcohol is lower in BTU’s than other fuels, so it takes more fuel for equal power. The cost of producing fuel grade alcohol is high. Price alcohol racing fuel. Spark ignition is the only way to burn it. It has been a while since there has been a farm tractor sold here in the US with spark ignition.
Alcohol looks really good until you factor in all the down sides.
Great points! I'm thinking hydrogen fuel now that works in a modified gas engine? I'll get back with you on the details of that. LOL

I grew up on a farm running a tractor since I was 6 years old. (no laws against it then...now either, just more responsible parents).

Here is my favorite use for a tractor these days. my son picked up Oliver 770 and put a JD loader on it.

Andrew and his deer.JPEG
skinning elk.JPG

Attachments

• elk.pdf
    621.6 KB · Views: 33
I hate being a mechanic, but if you want it done, sometimes, (a lot of the time for me!) you have to do it yourself. Now if you want real fun, and frequent, repair jobs you work on a combine.
I'll just watch a video of you working on a combine? LOL

'Sadly, i recently sold a pile of tractors (and the old '58 Massey is also for sale w/ a land mgmt/foodplotting pkg-mower/plow/seeder/roller,) simply to free up space and make my life (maintenance/batteries/lugging 5 gal pails of oil/lube/hyd fluid all over the place!) LOL We took care of 'em and they are still taking care of us! I only wish I had kept my uncle's tractors from the 70s-80s (he offered me the biggest dairy farm, but I had to say no as I had just become an engineer-i wanted to make $ sans all the expense. What I lost out on was the amazing workplace and lack of BS in corporate culture. I got away from that when I started my own business. Be the Employer, NOT the Employee! ;) I'm known in my family for 2 things: Getting up very early (only WHEN a weapon is placed in my hands) and 2 loving nothing other than sitting on a tractor all day long...:p true. Many of you may know that due to the costs of modern technology, the value of old mechanical tractors has skyrocketed. Because we took care of 'em, they were sold for 3x the original price min (Realizing that the present value of the orig cost is even higher.) It's a seller's market now, thanks to big tractor co mentalities today...."You really don't own the tractor...you just pay for the privilege"...with constant software updates, no ability to repair without all the fancy equipment, etc. I believe JD had to back down on that recently and allow others to license tools to fix... I have had NO better reliability than tractors made ~1960-1980. 'Not much to go wrong if you change the fluids/filters and keep up w/ the charging system/tires. A clutch or brakes Might go in the span of 2-5 decades depending upon what you're using it for ($500.) Do not buy a fully hydraulically driven tractor (most small ones today) and you will have no issues...Per my constitution, not $1 of the sale proceeds has been spent...rather, it's to buy a newer cab 4wd tractor (w/ heat/ac/stereo) with no further out-of-pocket expense. The rest will go to safaris and eventual grandkids... :)

Great points! I'm thinking hydrogen fuel now that works in a modified gas engine? I'll get back with you on the details of that. LOL
i Do think the hyd fuel is a Great idea for all vehicles! unless people begin exploding like Spinal tap drummers!

I enjoy ready everyone of the threads here. My most fond memories of using tractors:
I'm still all with all my body parts intact.

Glad I no longer have the want to use a foreign tractor to clean milk parlor paddock and bush hog using tractors with no brakes.

Of the 3 dairy farms, all owned by the same person, one was leased out, of the six same foreign made tractors only one hard an operational single wheel brake the other wheel brake didn't work.

After several months of using one particular tractor of the two on one farm I later realized it was the scrape blade that had been stopping the tractor and not the brakes, it wasn't until then I was told neither tractor had working brakes. This was after I had jumped on the tractor and managed to stop it before it went into a very deep ditch after I loaded the hay shredder with a round bale.

The second incident happened when two of us from the second farm were sent to help out on the leased farm.

There while scraping the milk parlor paddock I got to close to the edge where the manure went down the chute to the lagoon. Lifted the blade and the tractor started to slide down the manure chute to the lagoon. Afterwards I was told neither of the tractors on this farm had working brakes.

Prior to the owner selling out the owner invited all the workers to the main farm. On our way there as I was about to ask, in unison the fellows I worked with said, nope the tractors here don't have working brakes either.

Years later I took my stud horse to my folks place to breed a mare. He had a bought small well used Massey it had working brakes, but it always seemed it had to be worked on every morning when we had work to do. If we just wanted to move here or there, load up a hay wagon for a hayride it was always working fine. So we claimed; Guess we have a lazy Massey or Ferguson, one in every crowd.:LOL::LOL:

Now my stepdad has 2 tractors to play with, but no farm land to play on. Both tractors are old fairly reliable Ford's.
i watched many friends/fam dose their siblings w/ manure out the back of the spreaders (when their bros were riding too close on dirt bikes.) LOL

What percentage of ALL these "older" tractors mentioned here were diesel versus gas? The reason I ask, is I have read where MANY/MOST of the tractors from the '30s-'50s were gas because the American oil companies back then knew how to produce one thing, "gasoline and lots of it"- unknown author. Look at our War Machine in WW2. ALL gasoline powered tanks, trucks, etc. Not a drop of diesel anywhere. Just curious.

they really do come in handy at times!!! 'Have recovered countless game animals for kids! ok, and more recently, for self! lol

24130281_10155194089095208_631915798364897641_o.jpg
25074782_10155219304005208_5896793891123731800_o.jpg
IMG_20221210_140815.jpg

i watched many friends/fam dose their siblings w/ manure out the back of the spreaders (when their bros were riding too close on dirt bikes.) LOL
i myself never did that. I was an observer. however, my older brother was once giving me grief (so i woke up early and hung all his clothes from a distant tree.) that was fun for the entire fam to watch! LOL he took greater care after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luann42X34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.