For Sale Duane Weibe Rifle In 460 Weatherby $15,000 OBO

“During my years of study on high velocity and killing power, I have come to one definite indisputable conclusion. Velocity plays the most important part in killing power.”—Roy Weatherby, “Killing Power,” The Gun Digest, 1951
Well, I think ol' Roy is wrong, at least regarding DG calibers. Velocity is helpful when looking at external ballistics (bullet drop, wind effects, etc. - which are almost never a factor at the ranges that DG are commonly shot), but can become detrimental when the bullet meets animal. If my 400 grain 404J bullet fired at 2250 fps can fully penetrate a buffalo at 100 yards and kill it within seconds, what do I gain with 2700 fps? The bullet will open faster and this will impede penetration. Greater recoil makes it more difficult to shoot accurately.

Roy is puffing his proprietary cartridges to make sales. OK with me, but I don't find it convincing in this case.

Well, I think ol' Roy is wrong, at least regarding DG calibers. Velocity is helpful when looking at external ballistics (bullet drop, wind effects, etc. - which are almost never a factor at the ranges that DG are commonly shot), but can become detrimental when the bullet meets animal. If my 400 grain 404J bullet fired at 2250 fps can fully penetrate a buffalo at 100 yards and kill it within seconds, what do I gain with 2700 fps? The bullet will open faster and this will impede penetration. Greater recoil makes it more difficult to shoot accurately.

Roy is puffing his proprietary cartridges to make sales. OK with me, but I don't find it convincing in this case.

I've written about this on many threads on this forum and indeed, Roy's ideas are as much religion as they are science. What we do know are three truths, but when adapted to other calibers the truths don't always transfer over.

1.) Truth 1. Heavy for caliber, long bullets, at moderate velocities, create a long "hang time" in the animal and can have devastating effect. The very best example of this would be 6.5x55 Swede (and 6.5 Mannlicher) or the 7x57mm / 275 Rigby. They were braining elephant with these rounds and the Euros were killing moose with heart shots with the these rounds. These soft-recoil rounds prove this truth.

2.) Truth 2. ANY gun of 40 caliber or greater that can send 400gr bullets at a muzzle velocity of 2150fps and an impact velocity of 1900fps will kill the largest animals on the planet. This is why the 404 Jeff and the 450-400NE are so beloved. They are super mild recoiling versions of this truth. A 470NE, 500NE, or a 500 Jeff are just extra "insurance" that allows this truth to be realized with a 500gr to 570gr bullet.

3.) Truth 3. Speed kills. If you take a tiny enough caliber to make it pleasant to shoot and you move it at tremendous velocity with a bullet that can maintain its structural integrity, the gas bubble around that bullet will cause enough sheer and hydrostatic shock to kill remarkable things. Roy Weatherby figured this out and its why the 257 Weatherby was a favorite for 600lb tigers and the 270 Weatherby is treasured by many elk hunters. It is manageable recoil pushing a tremendous hydrostatic gas bubble that causes an instant stroke in animals as the gas bubble reverses the arterial flow and causes a stroke or aneurism immediately.

The problem with ol' Roy is his entire business rested on truth #3 which he inferred was a constant truth that could just increase with heavier and heavier bullets. I do not believe his inference was correct because buffalo, elephant, hippo, and rhino are so large that you are not getting the same ratio of hydrostatic shock on the gigantic stuff (velocity x bullet weight x mass of the animal) that he was when using that logic on tigers, pronghorns, or elk. The other thing at issue was once Roy created this mindset and made gigantic calibers, the recoil was so fierce he had to bastardize stock designs that had been proven for nearly 150 years to a reverse drop comb or parallel comb in order to protect your face from the recoil effects.

My comments above do not mean I hate every gun Roy invented nor that I hate 460 Weatherby, only an opinion of what the real "truth" was and that it may have been misapplied from one subject to the next.

The cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum came onto the market at a very bad time. Hunting in Africa went downhill and the production of big bore weapons and ammunition was gradually discontinued. At the beginning of the sixties, there was almost exclusively the cartridge 458 Win Mag onto the market , and this situation more or less persisted until the early nineties. In the midst of this disaster, the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum was barely able to establish itself.

Nowadays hardly anyone would get worried such a cartridge because many old big bores with strong recoil are being produced again and there are also much worse big bore cartridges from newer production on the market without anything negative being written about it.

I hear you guys and agree with a lot. Every manufacturer has good & what some people call bad.
There is a lot of nostalgia in DG hunting (and I’m all for it!)
Roy’s philosophy changed the hunting/ shooting world with several calibers:
30-378
maybe more?
Pretty good resume that can’t be ignored
And yes some have big boy recoil…. but they perform with the right loads

Just seeing this thread. Not on here a lot, but still don’t know how I missed it. GREAT purchase! Would love to see a current picture . . . or 10. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
professor

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)