For Sale Custom 416 Taylor On Remington 700 - Houston

I once read that if you sand the finish off of one of these Bowling Ball 700s, this is what you end up with.
Screenshot_20220818-215433_Chrome.jpg

This was a fun thread to read…

Stealing the FS ad from when I purchased this rifle during the past summer.

I have been a bad boy and my boss has slapped me around and asked me (lol) to move a gun or two to make up for all the stuff I have purchased recently (actually, I think she knows how much the BVC taxidermy bill is going to be!).

Ray Montgomery in Grand Junction, Colorado built this rifle in 2006.

Specifications are as follows:

Rem 700 Action, Trued by Ray, with custom shroud.
Shilen #5 Chrome Moly Barrel, cut to 22" with protected crown
Remington Trigger w/trigger job (trigger is crisp)
McMillan Sporter pattern stock - Dark Green/White, 13 11/16" LOP w/ 1" Decelerator
Williams Steel 1-Pc Bottom Metal
Action, barrel, and bottom metal matte blue finish by Ray
Caliber marking is very nicely engraved by Ray
Rifle weight with bases is 7.85 lbs. 9.15 lbs with 1-6x Trijicon mounted

I'll include a set of Hornady FL dies

I have only function fired this rifle (about 30 rounds...PO reportedly put about 100 through it). It is very comfortable and manageable. The Taylor is a very efficient cartridge with relatively low powder charges for the power level achieved.

$1,375 plus actual shipping and insurance, with dies and two piece scope bases. I also have 350 various Barnes, Nosler, North Fork and Speer bullets that are available to the buyer at a good price.

Rifle currently wears a Trijicon 1-6X Accupoint which could be included for an additional $800.

I ship from individual to FFL.

View attachment 310156 View attachment 310157 View attachment 310158 View attachment 310159

All in all, a pretty compact, powerful and sexy rifle.

Let me know if I left anything out. I have not accuracy tested the rifle, but the PO reports sub MOA with his favorite load. I only shot it at 50 yards and it stacks them at that range, as you might expect from a Shilen- barreled and trued M700.
Did you ever sell the 416 Taylor?

Wow how’d I ever miss this one?!?!

Large medium bore for sale. Model 71s. Single shot in .30 Army? A potentially homicidal spouse? This has all the makings for an AH Deals made for TV movie!

Wow how’d I ever miss this one?!?!

Large medium bore for sale. Model 71s. Single shot in .30 Army? A potentially homicidal spouse? This has all the makings for an AH Deals made for TV movie!
Yep, come to think of it ole @tarbe is a lot like JR Ewing!

Ya got here to late, it has been a fun journey with the bowling ball 416
Thinking the 416 Taylor would be pretty handy for Brown Bear on a Win 70 action, #5, 22" Lilja barrel with a McMillan stock. Maybe run some North Fork SS 370 gr through it.

I'll probably end up hunting for a Win 70 long magnum action in 300 Wby or 7 STW & going 416 Rem Mag since I've got a lot of brass.

I knew Ray. Good smith. Bet my friend Truman Wilson stocked it.

I’m thinking of building one on a Tikka. Already gathered a factory LH wood stock which was the biggest search item.

Hey @tarbe are you sure this is sold??? Even if it is, can you tell us more about this beautiful piece of art? Thread resurrected!!!! Hahahah!
Well, it started life as a 1911.

Took some creative ‘smithing to turn it into a Remington M700.

All part of the charm!

Hello brother, hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

I knew Ray. Good smith. Bet my friend Truman Wilson stocked it.

I’m thinking of building one on a Tikka. Already gathered a factory LH wood stock which was the biggest search item.
I believe it was stocked by the good people at Fun Time, Putt Putt Golf and Bowling Alley. But I believe the Covid caused them to have to shut the doors. This has, in turn, caused the value of this fine piece to skyrocket.

Last edited:
Well, it started life as a 1911.

Took some creative ‘smithing to turn it into a Remington M700.

All part of the charm!
I sent an enquiry to the good folks at Wilson Combat, and they said the cost to reproduce this work in today's economic climate would be quite cost prohibitive. Unless, of course, they started with a Hi Point 9mm. But even then, it would have to be purchased from the trunk of an 89 Oldsmobile.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeviEbswor

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.