For Sale Color Cased Custom 1903 Springfield 270 Win

Stuart Satterlee

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
She's a meat taker and a heart breaker. This 1903 Springfield custom by Ron Tonti of Pennsylvania is for sale.
Handmade English walnut stock features Ebony tip, dual steel head cross bolts, 20 lines per inch full radius wrap forend design two panel grip design checkering. length of pull is 13-3/8 inches over a 1.0 inch red Pachmeyer recoil pad and the rear sling swivel is an inletted 2 screw Winchester super grade sling swivel.
This rifle also features a color case hardened receiver by Doug Turnbull with matching color case hardened scope mount bases set up with Warne Quick Detachable levers and Leupold 3.5 x 10 VX3 with the ballistic turret for reaching out for that longer shot placement when needed. The jeweled bolt on this rifle runs slick and smooth as one would expect from a rifle of this nature. Feeding and ejection of the 270 Winchester cartridges is perfect, not surprising though, as Springfield actions run the '06 family beautifully and are known for such.
A 24" Douglas barrel with New England Custom Guns Masterpiece banded Hooded front sight and Masterpiece fully adjustable rear sight along with barrel banded sling swivel round out this one of a kind rifle. Very fairly priced at $2,995.00 shipped to your FFL. Make this your new hunting companion for that upcoming African plains game or North American hunting adventure. like new 99% condition. All major credit cards, personal checks, postal money orders, bank drafts, accepted. Rifle ships immediately hard cased and insured at full value upon clearance of funds. Thanks for looking.

IMG_20190918_1745518_rewind.jpg
IMG_20190918_1745308_rewind.jpg
IMG_20190918_1750388_rewind.jpg
IMG_20190918_1750490_rewind.jpg
IMG_20190918_1747277_rewind.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice rifle good luck with the sale of this great gun and caliber.

Yep. Pretty critical on these actions. Serial # would tell the tale. Maybe list it with the last two or three digits as "X's"?

With all of the "heavy hitters" that worked on this rifle, I doubt it is a "softee," having the serial number would be good insurance though.

The problem with some of the '03s wasn't that they were soft, but are hard to the point of brittle in addition to the molecular structure being compromised due to overheating.

The Eddystone Enfield also had some "peanut brittle" receivers as well.

You are right guys, my goof. I remembered that the early Springfield(s) had a problem that was corrected about serial number 800,000. However I'm still of the opinion that the smiths that worked on this particular rifle would not have done so if the receiver was suspect.

And 285,507 for Rock Island. Appears to be a 6 digit SN, but could still be over 800,000 for SA. Beautiful rifle, too bad its a .270 Win.

This is the most comprehensive paper I found doing a quick search on the early '03 rifle's problems. http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

It is well worth the reading time, especially for those of us using and or contemplating the purchase of one of these old war horses.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I've been hunting the last few days. I can now chime in.
More specifically it's a Rock Island serial # 377,9xx .
The link shootist43 put up is a real interesting read.
So far I have 20 rounds thru the rifle.

Last edited:
Now asking $2,495.00 shipped to your ffl.
Again the Receiver is a Rock Island #377,9xx
Well above that cut off point of 285,507.

Very beautiful rifle!!!!!!!

my custom o3 high number rifle in 3006 is not in the same class as your rifle and has been hunted for many years, with good results.

DSCN0838 (2).JPG
DSCN0839 (2).JPG
DSCN0840 (2).JPG

my custom o3 high number rifle in 3006 is not in the same class as your rifle and has been hunted for many years, with good results.

Gotta love it. They just feel so good in the hands and on the shoulder, infectious in fact. Just makes a guy want to go hunting.

your so right, my rifle likes 165 gr nosler bt,s at 2700 fps loaded with imr 4350.

Weekend deal for $2,295.00 shipped to your FFL.
Offer expires Monday morning 11-4-19. 9:00 AM mountain time.

Sincerely, Stuart Satterlee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg