For Sale 470 NE Rhino Express Only 3 Months Old

I have read all the others posts. I also say do not sell it just yet. I just purchased a 500 Nitro. It was brutal compared to the 458 lott I have the first couple shots. DO NOT shoot sitting down at bench I found out the hard way. Shoot it standing upright at normal shooting height.
I place 2 old milk crates on top of shooting bench. Then use a Caldwell shooting bag to hold rifle it gives me enough room to reach around it and hold forearm. Makes for a stable stand up rest. I also use a Magnum Past shoulder pad when doing range work. It makes the 500 more pleasant to shoot and I enjoy it now. I shot 25 rounds in about 1 hour this weekend practicing for up coming trip. Try these things before you sell it.

I will second what One day say about weight.. I think that those manufacturers who make these light double rifles....well it is a testimony of them not knowing what they do..

Fit and proper weight is the key here. I find that I can shoot both my .470 Krieghoff and prewar .475 from a sitting bench, both weigh in at 10,5 - 10,6 lbs. I use a shoulder pad called Limbsaver..

The alternative is of course to shoot from a standing bench as the british do..

If you ever encounter a zim impala you just may be under gunned with a 470! I will only hunt impala(black faced death) with a 500 minimum now! Glad i am still here to tell the story!
@DaveL @John Sharp @tarbe

nice looking rifle though, good luck on the sale!

Ah yes the 'Kevlar-ball-sacked-Chuck-Norris' Impala. That was quite something @Bullthrower338 !

I just cannot handle the power of my brand new 470 NE Rhino Express. I have found a 450-400 that will reduce my recoil by 40% I am buying. On a rest gun shoots incredible from 50 yards for which it is regulated. The Barns bullets shoot awesome through it with great accuracy from both barrels with both landing within an inch from each other at 50 yards. Includes new Rhino Express case with regulation paper. The following is what I paid: 6 boxes 20 CT of Barnes TSX 500 grain bullets cost Midway $900.00. Set of RCBS dies $200, Gun $11,200 (see Rizzini Page to confirm). Total cost $12,300.00. I am selling for $10,300 firm plus you pay shipping. I am including RIzzini pictures also showing their gun detail with current price for your review. Yes it is from their site but gun no different given only 3 months old. My gun is the coin version shown.

View attachment 393265
I appreciate everyone's feedback and advice so very much!!! I especially loved everyone saying Don't sell yet!!! However, I shot it one more time this morning taking everyone's advice and although it had beautiful groupings at 70 yards, it still is just too much recoil for me. So, I broke down and placed it on GB given I had over 200 views here with no takers and already have 5 watchers in just 2 hours over there. It will sell within 5 days there at the price I have set for it. I have sold so many guns quickly there. I just bought the attached 450-400 brand new Chapuis with beautiful engraving and scroll pattern. Wish me luck!

Chapuis450400y629.jpg

I appreciate everyone's feedback and advice so very much!!! I especially loved everyone saying Don't sell yet!!! However, I shot it one more time this morning taking everyone's advice and although it had beautiful groupings at 70 yards, it still is just too much recoil for me. So, I broke down and placed it on GB given I had over 200 views here with no takers and already have 5 watchers in just 2 hours over there. It will sell within 5 days there at the price I have set for it. I have sold so many guns quickly there. I just bought the attached 450-400 brand new Chapuis with beautiful engraving and scroll pattern. Wish me luck!
Also critically important!!! I have taken everyone's advice and the gun comes with cutting the stock to my exact LOP within the price. I went on UTUBE and saw Boyt's way to measure your LOP and will be using that. Thanks everyone!!!

... Thanks everyone!!!

I could say that shooting the .470 again without making the suggested substantial change to the rifle (16 oz. tungsten kickstop) was unlikely to produce a different outcome - we all know the definition of insanity, right? - but I will say instead congratulations on the purchase, and congratulations on buying from Champlin Arms (I recognize the pics setting). First and foremost one must love and trust one's rifle, and if the magic was gone with the Rizzini, moving to the Chapuis is the right move, if only for this reason alone.

Beside, I will also add that in my modest opinion and 40 years experience with European double rifles, the Chapuis stands head and shoulders above the Rizzini from a manufacturer's experience perspective... As a number of shotgun makers who jump on the newly revived double rifles bandwagon soon realize, there is quite a difference between a 12 gauge and a .470 NE.............. I paid my dues with a Zoli, way back when, and it was only in the mild 9.3x74R.............. It may not show from the outside, but there are quite a few differences between a double rifle that will last for a few hundred shots and one that will last for a hundred years...

As you probably already know, you got yourself one of the very best modern production double rifles, and George Caswell (& JJ Perodeau) will guaranty it for life:
1615917105459.png

You will undoubtedly feel a ~30% recoil reduction, but keep in mind Newton's Third Law of Motion, the law of equal and opposite reaction: the reduction in power at your shoulder also affects the other end: you lost ~30% of power at the muzzle. Going down from the .470 5,100 ft/lbs. blow to the .450/400 3,700 ft/lbs. blow ups the ante considerably when it comes to absolutely perfect placement on elephant brain shot. Based on considerable books and videos documentation, you lost the few seconds grace period allowing you an easy second shot after a near miss to the brain. As they say, "there ain't no free lunch"...

Last edited:
I could say that shooting the .470 again without making the suggested substantial change to the rifle (16 oz. tungsten kickstop) was unlikely to produce a different outcome - we all know the definition of insanity, right? - but I will say instead congratulations on the purchase, and congratulations on buying from Champlin Arms (I recognize the pics setting). First and foremost one must love and trust one's rifle, and if the magic was gone with the Rizzini, moving to the Chapuis is the right move, if only for this reason alone.

Beside, I will also add that in my modest opinion and 40 years experience with European double rifles, the Chapuis stands head and shoulders above the Rizzini from a manufacturer's experience perspective... As a number of shotgun makers who jump on the newly revived double rifles bandwagon soon realize, there is quite a difference between a 12 gauge and a .470 NE.............. I paid my dues with a Zoli, way back when, and it was only in the mild 9.3x74R.............. It may not show from the outside, but there are quite a few differences between a double rifle that will last for a few hundred shots and one that will last for a hundred years...

As you probably already know, you got yourself one of the very best modern production double rifles, and George Caswell (& JJ Perodeau) will guaranty it for life:
View attachment 393427

You will undoubtedly feel a ~30% recoil reduction, but keep in mind Newton's Third Law of Motion, the law of equal and opposite reaction: the reduction in power at your shoulder also affects the other end: you lost ~30% of power at the muzzle. Going down from the .470 5,100 ft/lbs. blow to the .450/400 3,700 ft/lbs. blow ups the ante considerably when it comes to absolutely perfect placement on elephant brain shot. Based on considerable books and videos documentation, you lost the few seconds grace period allowing you an easy second shot after a near miss to the brain. As they say, "there ain't no free lunch"...
Thanks so much for your thoughts one day! Greatly respect your experience. I believe I will be very happy with the Chapuis and it will be cut for my exact LOP

Thanks so much for your thoughts one day! Greatly respect your experience. I believe I will be very happy with the Chapuis and it will be cut for my exact LOP
Congratulations! I believe I handled your gun last month at George's - I was admiring the LOP as it fit me quite well. Many years of fine shooting for you and your gun! Good luck with the sale of your .470 - wish I was in the market.

Thats a beautiful rifle Rare Breed and 450 - 400 should perform well for your upcoming buffalo hunt.

It's better to have a rifle that you are comfortable with than something where you might flinch when it matters.

Enjoy practising and your safari will be here much sooner than you think.

Regards

Thats a beautiful rifle Rare Breed and 450 - 400 should perform well for your upcoming buffalo hunt.

It's better to have a rifle that you are comfortable with than something where you might flinch when it matters.

Enjoy practising and your safari will be here much sooner than you think.

Regards
So excited to be hunting for my first Cape Buffalo with Tsala Safari in July!!! Did my research and they are a true class team!!!

Didn't read the whole thead so ignore if it's been said.
Keep the .470 and load to the 75% rule for mild recoil and accuracy. Then, use full power loads for hunting.

As one who went through 4 Buffalo rifles before settling on "the one" I certainly get it.

If you don't think it will work for you, move on while you still have time to make game with the new rifle.

Best of luck to you and that 450-400 is very nice!

View attachment 393415
Have you taken delivery of your rifle yet? How do you like it? I plan on making an order from George at Chaplin firearms on Monday so I would like to know what you're buying an experience has been like.

I have not yet. They are cutting the stock to my LOP which is 15 inclusive of the recoil pad. George is great and so knowledgeable. Should have the gun end of next week. Safari in July so looking forward to practicing. Good luck with your purchase!

I totally understand your POV. My .470 is about all I can handle with my neck trouble. I have also thought of getting a .450-400. When I was shopping for a double I had been advised by some to go this route as they felt this caliber would have better penetration. The main advice I received was not to buy a .500 and I am glad I took that advice!
I got some reduced recoil loads that are fun to shoot but they don’t regulate well.
You will do great on your buffalo hunt with your new double.
Philip

View attachment 393415
Well done on the Chapuis Rare Breed, it looks beautiful. I concur with your decision, if it isnt right, sell it and move on. I am dying to hear how you feel about the recoil on the 450/400, on paper it should be much better, but I have a hunch that LOP fitted to you will make all the difference.

As one who went through 4 Buffalo rifles before settling on "the one" I certainly get it.

If you don't think it will work for you, move on while you still have time to make game with the new rifle.

Best of luck to you and that 450-400 is very nice!
Thanks Tarpe!

Well done on the Chapuis Rare Breed, it looks beautiful. I concur with your decision, if it isnt right, sell it and move on. I am dying to hear how you feel about the recoil on the 450/400, on paper it should be much better, but I have a hunch that LOP fitted to you will make all the difference.
Agree Kevin. I get it next week

I totally understand your POV. My .470 is about all I can handle with my neck trouble. I have also thought of getting a .450-400. When I was shopping for a double I had been advised by some to go this route as they felt this caliber would have better penetration. The main advice I received was not to buy a .500 and I am glad I took that advice!
I got some reduced recoil loads that are fun to shoot but they don’t regulate well.
You will do great on your buffalo hunt with your new double.
Philip
Thanks Phil!

Please when you get the chance share with us how the 450-400 shoots, how you like the Chapuis, and recoil difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross