Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI DSC DU Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, USA, Argentina
Approximately 1950 made pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in 270 Winchester, Beautiful Custom stock with excellent color and contrasting dark lines. I have sighted the rifle in but did no load development so I don't know how it shoots. The maker is unknown but the fit and finish outstanding, very high quality, butt plate and grip cap are installed perfectly, action is very smooth, trigger is perfect in my estimation. I removed the action and inspected the stock and action for maker's marking, could not find anything. The action is pillar bedded but does not have any other glass, fits tight as a glove and all the screws included the grip cap and butt plate are perfectly indexed. Whoever put this gun together did a great job. Like a lot of custom guns I have it priced at a fraction of what it would cost to build. Please pm me for a phone # if you would like to discuss further, if you need a nice rifle in this great caliber you won't be disappointed. Very nice workmanship.

$1500 plus shipping to your FFL
DSC03183.JPG
DSC03184.JPG
DSC03185.JPG
DSC03186.JPG
DSC03187.JPG
DSC03188.JPG

Thank you for the compliment's, it really is a nice gun, hoping to get it to someone who will use it and appreciate it, thus the lower price

Gale Johnson

No doubt you will. I'd have already jumped on it myself if I had the cash.

Reactions: WAB
The butt portion of the stock is similar to the factory target model as it appears to have less drop than the standard model. I don't see any photos of the underside, is the barrel screw in place or was it omitted with the new stock?

Still for sale

Nice rifle and very good price. Looks like it came off Jack O'Conn0r's gun rack (he loved the model 70 - particularly in .270 - and all wore custom stocks). Regrettably, I already own around four .270's - but someone needs to jump on this one.

Gale are you the same person I just recently bought a Zeiss scope from?

Bob

Yes sir, the 270 is just as nice as the scope, just in case you need one.

thank you
Gale Johnson

Yes sir, the 270 is just as nice as the scope, just in case you need one.

thank you
Gale Johnson
Well it's not like I need one;) But maybe I'll try to swing by to look if you still have it next time I'm heading that way...

Well it's not like I need one;) But maybe I'll try to swing by to look if you still have it next time I'm heading that way...

Eh come on Bob.... Everyone NEEDS a custom Model 70, or another one....

I have a couple more that are nicer than this one, 338 win mag and 416 Rem, no one should just have one pre 64!! LOL

Need is about perspective ;) I see that you need this rifle as it would fit nicely in your collection. Of course I’m a bit bias as the Model 70 is my favorite American made bolt gun and 270 is my favorite caliber.
I have a Model 70 super grade in 308 that I absolutely love. It is a late 70’s early 80’s model I think. It is an absolute tack driver. I used to hunt with it a lot but despite my best efforts the stock started to get dinged and it really bothered me so I quit using it. I’ve killed a hellava lot of deer and somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3k hogs with it.

@neckdeep if I could possibly get the cash I’d buy it in an instant but alas I’m broke at the moment. I’ve always wanted a pre 64 tho.

I have a couple more that are nicer than this one, 338 win mag and 416 Rem, no one should just have one pre 64!! LOL
I'll try to stop by ;)

Damn, everyone has a nice Buffalo in there avatar

Maybe we should call this the Africa Buffalo forum (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg