ruffcountry

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA , DRSS
Hunted
USA
not sure where to ask this so here goes .
i will be flying to south africa soon ( atlanta to joburg ) and plan on taking 2 rifles, my question is whether i should put them in one double case or each in a single gun case . the rifles i will take are a kimber 280 ai and sabatti 9.3x74r , the 9.3 came in a hard platic case wth double combination locks . do you think the sabatti case is suitable for air travel from usa to rsa . any pros and cons of one case vs two cases or any other advice would be greatly appreciated

I would if it was me put both of them in a Pelican case less hassle trying to handle your carry on suitcase and 2 rifle cases, sue a Pelican #1750 if I remember right they also make a wider case that would give you a little more room, good luck. Jim

One case. Pelican makes good ones and make sure it has wheels.

1750 as mentioned above. If the sabatti has no scope, it’s a super easy fit.

I took two scoped rifles in a 1750 but had to take one scope off

Finally layout, before everything went in a sock
Image1663800640.773295.jpg

ok , looks like i will be putting them in the same case . thanks for the input

my question is whether i should put them in one double case or each in a single gun case
On some airlines you are limited on number of luggage to take. So, put guns in one case.
Ammunition, small box, put in checked in luggage with clothes, as 2nd bag.

In case you can have 3 bags option, take bag no 3. With a lot of empty space inside.
When going home, empty space fill up full with souvenirs.

not sure where to ask this so here goes .
i will be flying to south africa soon ( atlanta to joburg ) and plan on taking 2 rifles, my question is whether i should put them in one double case or each in a single gun case . the rifles i will take are a kimber 280 ai and sabatti 9.3x74r , the 9.3 came in a hard platic case wth double combination locks . do you think the sabatti case is suitable for air travel from usa to rsa . any pros and cons of one case vs two cases or any other advice would be greatly appreciated
I used one case with wheels. I lashed a carry-on to that. Pulled my checked bag, which also had wheels, and put a camera bag around my neck. Kind of bulky but I could.manage everything. With two long gun cases, I don't think I could have.
Pack your socks, underwear and any.other small soft items between the rifles and around the edges of the case. I did this and my guns got to Zimbabwe and back home without damage.

In case you can have 3 bags option, take bag no 3. With a lot of empty space inside.
When going home, empty space fill up full with souvenirs.
Or get one of these and put it in the second case. Make sure you have a lock for it. It compresses pretty small empty. On my last trip my girlfriend put clothes etc. in the duffel on the way back and her purchases in the hard case.

However, you might have to pay extra for the third bag.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 7.04.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 7.04.53 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
On a related note, I will be taking my 1914 vintage WR 470 double to Africa in 2023. I have an Americase for it; however, I am not sure it will meet current TSA standards, as it has a center combo lock, plus two key locks. I have looked at the Pelican V700 Vault takedown case. My only concern there is that it is solid foam; not fitted like the Americase. Also, looking a the Negrini takedown.

On a related note, I will be taking my 1914 vintage WR 470 double to Africa in 2023. I have an Americase for it; however, I am not sure it will meet current TSA standards, as it has a center combo lock, plus two key locks. ...

Gun cases do not have to have TSA locks.

On a related note, I will be taking my 1914 vintage WR 470 double to Africa in 2023. I have an Americase for it; however, I am not sure it will meet current TSA standards, as it has a center combo lock, plus two key locks. I have looked at the Pelican V700 Vault takedown case. My only concern there is that it is solid foam; not fitted like the Americase. Also, looking a the Negrini takedown.
I would definatly go with the Pelican 1750 for that fine double. It's very easy to cut the center piece of foam to fit. And after seeing all the battle scares on mine after our recent trip you want a TUFF case !!

Not sure how far you are from Vancouver (WA) , but Bauer Case down here will custom cut foam for your case/rifle.

I was going to go that route but waited too long so it eded up being DYI with foam board and a hot knife for my last trip.

There are online companies that will cut foam to generic rifle shapes as well.

I bought a V730 two weeks ago, for a single takedown or bolt action removed from the stock, that is my new favorite.

I'm just over here on the coast in Westport.
I would definatly go with the Pelican 1750 for that fine double. It's very easy to cut the center piece of foam to fit. And after seeing all the battle scares on mine after our recent trip you want a TUFF case !!
It appears the V700 is in the same category of durability as the 1750, other than the takedown size. I prefer to travel with double broken down.

Vault 730 vs 1750, I wanted the wheels of the 730 over the smaller 700..

Image1664405474.958129.jpg

Latches appear much better on the vault as well.

just getting ready to cut the foam on my 1750 with 2 scoped rifles a CZ550 1-4 power Leupold and a Rem 700 with a Leupold 6.5-20 and will fit nicely along with the suppersor

If you’re taking Delta, from reading on this site and Delta regulations:

1 gun case not to exceed 50lbs., 1 ammo case not to exceed 11 lbs. with case, 1 carry-on with clothing, 1 personal item (backpack, etc.) with electronics/scopes/optics.

It starts at $350 for the extra bag…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!