Flying Qatar Airlines

My issue is I am flying to JKO (Kilimanjaro) airport in Tanzania and besides QA, choices are limited. Last time, we flew KLM through Amsterdam, which requires an extra gun permit, and also the hassle of flying through NY, NJ or Dulles. We might be stuck with QA going through DFW.

I flew Turkish Business Class to Tanzania and had no issues at all. I remember a 7-8 hour layover on the way back in Istanbul and the airport had plenty of shops and restaurants to occupy my time.

HH

I flew Turkish Business Class to Tanzania and had no issues at all. I remember a 7-8 hour layover on the way back in Istanbul and the airport had plenty of shops and restaurants to occupy my time.

HH
Okay thanks! Did you fly to Arusha or Dar?

I'm thinking +1 on a direct flight. Plus, there won't be the extra $200 transfer fee for the guns from Qatar to American coming back to DIA from DFW. That fee is BS!
I've not been charged a fee by AA for rifles. Are you sure that is what it was?

My issue is I am flying to JKO (Kilimanjaro) airport in Tanzania and besides QA, choices are limited. Last time, we flew KLM through Amsterdam, which requires an extra gun permit, and also the hassle of flying through NY, NJ or Dulles. We might be stuck with QA going through DFW.
I flew Qatar to Kilimanjaro last year. I think it is the best way to go. It does have a technical stop in Dar however. The little lounge at JRO is very nice with great views!

I've not been charged a fee by AA for rifles. Are you sure that is what it was?
Philip,
I wanted to clarify this fee charge so I just called TWG. Coming back into the US, Qatar charges a firearm transfer fee to AA on top of the standard $100 oversize baggage fee for the rifle case. The extra transfer fee was supposed to be $200, but I was charged $140. So, $100 going and $240 coming back.
Mark

I flew Qatar to Kilimanjaro last year. I think it is the best way to go. It does have a technical stop in Dar however. The little lounge at JRO is very nice with great views!
My wife and I are going with another couple. I wonder if the airline would care if we booked two business Q Suite tickets and two coach tickets and then do some seat trading at times to each get some sleep? Those lay-flat seats are much better for sleeping. Anyone ever try this?

My wife and I are going with another couple. I wonder if the airline would care if we booked two business Q Suite tickets and two coach tickets and then do some seat trading at times to each get some sleep? Those lay-flat seats are much better for sleeping. Anyone ever try this?
I am not sure but it sounds like a plan if allowed. When trying to get Qsuite these days you have to be vigilant and patient to watch for the better fare classes to be released. It has been 6 months or less to departure when it seems they roll out.

Philip,
I wanted to clarify this fee charge so I just called TWG. Coming back into the US, Qatar charges a firearm transfer fee to AA on top of the standard $100 oversize baggage fee for the rifle case. The extra transfer fee was supposed to be $200, but I was charged $140. So, $100 going and $240 coming back.
Mark
Thanks Mark. I guess we missed that fee flying business. Good to know.

Mine was listed as a second bag fee. $100 each way.
I knew that especially on return coach passengers were hit with pretty high baggage fees. I just didn't know about any firearms fee.
It was a great trip with you guys!
Philip

Yesterday I just finished booking Qatar Air with Travel Express to Namibia. I have flown United & Emeriates before but I wanted to experience Qatar Q Suites. I like the idea not having to fly into Joberg and have to do a SAPS 520 or an overnight.

I'm going to SA in May and was wondering if anyone has flown Qatar Airlines lately and how are they about traveling with rifles?
Sir I flew them with other AH members back in August of 2022. To be short and to the point…..fill out their paperwork and they are amazing. I actually made a comment to the gate agent in Dallas to please make sure my rifles got in the plane….. “sir did you check in with Mr Faud upstairs?” Yes I did.
“Then sir this plane will not leave Dallas until the rifles are on the plane as we have taken possession of them and therefore they must be on the plane.”
you have to file pre authorization paperwork with them but once you do that it’s a breeze,

I flew via Qatar in 2021. Every time I boarded a gate agent stopped me to verify that I was getting on he plane. I ask what this are for. They replied that my firearms are on the plane and the plane isn't leaving without their owner. I suppose that if I had not boarded, Qatar would have pull my firearms off the plane.

Yesterday I just finished booking Qatar Air with Travel Express to Namibia. I have flown United & Emeriates before but I wanted to experience Qatar Q Suites. I like the idea not having to fly into Joberg and have to do a SAPS 520 or an overnight.
It will be a neat trip in the best seat in the air!

I flew via Qatar in 2021. Every time I boarded a gate agent stopped me to verify that I was getting on he plane. I ask what this are for. They replied that my firearms are on the plane and the plane isn't leaving without their owner. I suppose that if I had not boarded, Qatar would have pull my firearms off the plane.
Yes they take it very seriously. Good airline

Yes they take it very seriously. Good airline

Not to knock them but this must be a business class perk.

Not once did they verify that my firearm was onboard the plane at the gate, the single time was at the ticketing desk in Joberg when the person handling the firearms complained to me about all the rifle cases that he needed to load (hint, hint, can you give me some money for my time).

Even their app for tracking my bags was next to worthless at least for me. On each flight I didn't get a notification until after the plane had left the airport and I checked when we landed at the next one.

I was in cattle class. I just think that others need to know what to expect if they are not in business class.

Not to knock them but this must be a business class perk.
Don't I wish I could afford business class!
This happened there and back with me flying economy.

I aways put Apple Air Tags in my gun case and my luggage. I can track to see if it makes the plane and when I arrive I can track where my luggage and rifle case is. It actually tracts where my bags are .

I aways put Apple Air Tags in my gun case and my luggage. I can track to see if it makes the plane and when I arrive I can track where my luggage and rifle case is. It actually tracts where my bags are .
I have tons of apple tags I can access through work, great idea. I just purchased my Qatar tickets to Zim through @TRAVEL EXPRESS . Jennifer is really great to deal with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.