Flying Qatar Airlines

Not to knock them but this must be a business class perk.

Not once did they verify that my firearm was onboard the plane at the gate, the single time was at the ticketing desk in Joberg when the person handling the firearms complained to me about all the rifle cases that he needed to load (hint, hint, can you give me some money for my time).

Even their app for tracking my bags was next to worthless at least for me. On each flight I didn't get a notification until after the plane had left the airport and I checked when we landed at the next one.

I was in cattle class. I just think that others need to know what to expect if they are not in business class.
No it is for all guns. I have not had them "check that I was on the plane for sure" as some mention but they do it electronically. Years ago I remember some airlines coming in the cabin with a clipboard and greeting me just making sure I was there.
You are correct that their app is crap compared to Delta. Delta has been the leader from my experience with the app and what you can do with it. I don't know why Qatar does not upgrade their app and website. It needs it.

I aways put Apple Air Tags in my gun case and my luggage. I can track to see if it makes the plane and when I arrive I can track where my luggage and rifle case is. It actually tracts where my bags are .
that is an awesome idea. Thank you for sharing

I'm flying Qatar in May, do I need to get permission from Qatar before checkin or they grant permission at checkin?

I also have a 14 hour layover in Doha on way home, will they keep luggage or will I have to claim it?

I'm flying Qatar in May, do I need to get permission from Qatar before checkin or they grant permission at checkin?

permission for flying with a firearm?

if that is the question... yes...

there is a form you have to fill out and submit to them a minimum of 30 days prior to flying..

be advised they are terrible about emailing you back, confirming they have got the form, that you are approved, etc.. but having flown with firearms with them twice, I can advise its never actually been a problem.. I just brought copies of the email with me just in case they didn't have record on file showing that I had sent the required document 30 days in advance, and I was good to go..

regarding your layover.. you don't have to claim your luggage.. they will check everything all the way through from Joberg to your port of entry in the US..

if you're looking at a 14 hour layover, I STRONGLY advise to get lounge passes in advance (they have 2 lounges that you can buy a day pass for.. I think one is about $50? I cant remember the cost of the other one).. the lounges are always packed and if you don't have a ticket in advance it can be a several hour wait to get into one of them.. or.. depending on the time of day of your layover, consider going into Doha for a few hours and checking things out.. they have a couple of markets/souks there worth visiting and there is some interesting history in the city.. its not particularly big.. you can catch a cab to just about anywhere you'd want to visit in less than 30 minutes..

Prices for summer flights are pretty steep right now.. about 20% higher than what I paid this time last year.. Im waiting a few weeks to see if they might come down a bit.. after that I suppose I'll just bite the bullet and pay whatever the cost is.. Hopefully Im not wrong.. but I cant imagine they are going to increase much more between now and then.. but I think there is at least some measure of a chance they might come down a little..

there is a form you have to fill out and submit to them a minimum of 30 days prior to flying..

be advised they are terrible about emailing you back, confirming they have got the form, that you are approved, etc.. but having flown with firearms with them twice, I can advise its never actually been a problem.. I just brought copies of the email with me just in case they didn't have record on file showing that I had sent the required document 30 days in advance, and I was good to go..

regarding your layover.. you don't have to claim your luggage.. they will check everything all the way through from Joberg to your port of entry in the US..

if you're looking at a 14 hour layover, I STRONGLY advise to get lounge passes in advance (they have 2 lounges that you can buy a day pass for.. I think one is about $50? I cant remember the cost of the other one).. the lounges are always packed and if you don't have a ticket in advance it can be a several hour wait to get into one of them.. or.. depending on the time of day of your layover, consider going into Doha for a few hours and checking things out.. they have a couple of markets/souks there worth visiting and there is some interesting history in the city.. its not particularly big.. you can catch a cab to just about anywhere you'd want to visit in less than 30 minutes..

Prices for summer flights are pretty steep right now.. about 20% higher than what I paid this time last year.. Im waiting a few weeks to see if they might come down a bit.. after that I suppose I'll just bite the bullet and pay whatever the cost is.. Hopefully Im not wrong.. but I cant imagine they are going to increase much more between now and then.. but I think there is at least some measure of a chance they might come down a little..
Qatar is rarely selling passes to the Al Mourjan business class lounge to economy ticket holders anymore. There are other lounges however. If I had a 14 hour layover I'd get a room at the Oryx hotel. They have a gym and indoor pool!

I booked Tucson > Kilimajaro with TWG - FC American from Tucson to Dallas, then Qatar to Doha in Q Class. TWG handled all the paperwork, checked rifles in Tucson through to Kilimanjaro with zero problems. All my pieces had Apple Air Tags and I could confirm that they were loaded at each change of planes. Total RT airfare was $6700. Qatar treated me very well and I would fly them again.

Reactions: jpg
Qatar is rarely selling passes to the Al Mourjan business class lounge to economy ticket holders anymore. There are other lounges however. If I had a 14 hour layover I'd get a room at the Oryx hotel. They have a gym and indoor pool!
I will be getting a room at the hotel so I can take a quick shower, have a decent meal and catch up on sleep before running to Zambia then onto ZIm. I want to save the money but 9 hours is a lot of time to eat up in a lounge.

Revturbo...Just some food for thought when you get to Doha. The hotel rooms there are extremely expensive. There are quiet rooms in the business class lounge where you can recline and take a nap. Also there are very nice shower rooms there also. When you get there put your name on. the list.

Revturbo...Just some food for thought when you get to Doha. The hotel rooms there are extremely expensive. There are quiet rooms in the business class lounge where you can recline and take a nap. Also there are very nice shower rooms there also. When you get there put your name on. the list.
Yes they aren't cheep, around $285 for the time spent there. personally ill be able to decompress more in the room then the lounge. I can book the room now and cancel at any time if I dont want to use it, which is a big plus.

Yes they aren't cheep, around $285 for the time spent there. personally ill be able to decompress more in the room then the lounge. I can book the room now and cancel at any time if I dont want to use it, which is a big plus.
That's a bargain for a room when a business class ticket on Qatar to RSA was/is north of $8K?

I just booked Qatar for June13-July1 Business Class Q suites $5547.00 Round Trip

Oops... with Jenn with Travel Express. It is the first time I used her and hoping she is everything wonderful and fantastic everyone has said about her.

I flew Qatar in November of 2021 to South Africa. They canceled our return tickets with about six hour notice due to the Omnicron variant and we ended up having to book a oneway home on Ethiopian, which cost more than the RT did! Still waiting for a refund from Qatar. . . . Last I heard from our booking agent, they were starting to process refund requests from April of 2021.

Other than that, I liked our experience on Qatar (no hassle, no extra fees, staff was competent and helpful, etc), with the one exception that their carry on baggage allowance SUCKED. I think they had a weight limit requirement of 15 lbs for both your personal item and your carry on?

If I ever get my refund from them, I intend to use it, but I'm not sure if I'll fly them again after that. A lot will depend on how they make good on this.

My wife and I travelled to Africa 5 times in the last 6 years and booked Q for last two trips to JNB with connection to Port Elizabeth. All Q firearm forms and procedures were available on line, east to print and fill out. We had issues with another airline relating to weight of ammo with the airline weighing the locked metal ammo box and telling us it exceeded the 5 KG limit. Have since prepared a statement declaring the actual number and weight of the ammo and signed the declaration “as a true and accurate count and weight of the ammo” in front of a Notary. Brought several copies of each document to the airport and had no issues throughout all flights. Booking again for a trip this fall and after a lot of research, will use Q again.

I sent a letter asking permission To my bring my rifle aboard Qatar back in January, I received email they received mine but no form yet.
The form that you mention is it on there website or do they send it to me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you