Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
I need some advice on fitting a new front sight to my Merkel double rifle. These fit in a longitudinal slot and are inserted from front and tapped in towards the rear. The replacement is larger, and will not fit the dovetail slot without reducing the width at the base of the blade. What method do experienced members here use to file the sight to fit the slot in the ramp on the barrel? I read somewhere that the base of the sight blade can be rubbed on a piece sandpaper to reduce height and therefore also reduce width as the bottom (widest) part is slowly removed. It does seem simpler than trying to file the sides while matching the angles. Your suggestions?

Contact Morkel and Crouse Gunsmiths in Johannesburg, South Africa. They fitted the front site on my Merkel 500NE. Sure they would be able to assist or even make one up for you and mail it.

Thanks Marius that's a good suggestion. I'm already in possession of a replacement sight, so just looking for a few tips on the best way to trim the bottom or sides to slide it into place. I will keep Morkel and Crouse Gunsmiths in mind if I am unsuccessful with my do it yourself project.

To trim the sides a three cornered file is the same angle as a standard dove tail in most cases sanding filing the bottom will not help it’s the sides that need to be filled.
Hold the file at a slight angle so it only contacts the first 1/8” or less give it a couple strokes on both sides and see if it will start to engage the female slot if so hold file closer to parallel and repeat go slow check often in the end it should need to be tapped to final seat.
Shawn

On mine I knocked out the bead and just turned pice of ivory to make a bigger bead and inserted in the original sight.

Maybe try that.

If the sight is only marginally too large then removing metal from the bottom as you suggest is by far the easiest method – go carefully as it doesn’t need much removal to make a difference (add a thin metal shim under the sight if you go too far!).

Regards
Russ

Thanks Russ, that's what I did, worked perfectly. It now shoots to exactly the correct elevation.

What size did you go to and better yet when did you obtain it please

I ordered a replacement from New England Custom Gun in the USA, but you could also order direct from the manufacturer Recknagel in Germany. The sight is listed in NECG website as follows:
European Patridge Sight - Press Fit (Product ID#R-11120) Overall Height .256" - R-11120-2565 | Size: $28.00

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross