Fitting Merkel front sight - advice needed

Longwalker

AH elite
Joined
Apr 2, 2015
Messages
1,758
Reaction score
6,210
Location
Canada
Media
142
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
5
USA/Canada
4
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique
I need some advice on fitting a new front sight to my Merkel double rifle. These fit in a longitudinal slot and are inserted from front and tapped in towards the rear. The replacement is larger, and will not fit the dovetail slot without reducing the width at the base of the blade. What method do experienced members here use to file the sight to fit the slot in the ramp on the barrel? I read somewhere that the base of the sight blade can be rubbed on a piece sandpaper to reduce height and therefore also reduce width as the bottom (widest) part is slowly removed. It does seem simpler than trying to file the sides while matching the angles. Your suggestions?
 
Contact Morkel and Crouse Gunsmiths in Johannesburg, South Africa. They fitted the front site on my Merkel 500NE. Sure they would be able to assist or even make one up for you and mail it.
 
Thanks Marius that's a good suggestion. I'm already in possession of a replacement sight, so just looking for a few tips on the best way to trim the bottom or sides to slide it into place. I will keep Morkel and Crouse Gunsmiths in mind if I am unsuccessful with my do it yourself project.
 
To trim the sides a three cornered file is the same angle as a standard dove tail in most cases sanding filing the bottom will not help it’s the sides that need to be filled.
Hold the file at a slight angle so it only contacts the first 1/8” or less give it a couple strokes on both sides and see if it will start to engage the female slot if so hold file closer to parallel and repeat go slow check often in the end it should need to be tapped to final seat.
Shawn
 
On mine I knocked out the bead and just turned pice of ivory to make a bigger bead and inserted in the original sight.

Maybe try that.
 
If the sight is only marginally too large then removing metal from the bottom as you suggest is by far the easiest method – go carefully as it doesn’t need much removal to make a difference (add a thin metal shim under the sight if you go too far!).

Regards
Russ
 
Thanks Russ, that's what I did, worked perfectly. It now shoots to exactly the correct elevation.
 
What size did you go to and better yet when did you obtain it please
 
I ordered a replacement from New England Custom Gun in the USA, but you could also order direct from the manufacturer Recknagel in Germany. The sight is listed in NECG website as follows:
European Patridge Sight - Press Fit (Product ID#R-11120) Overall Height .256" - R-11120-2565 | Size: $28.00
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,315
Messages
1,572,642
Members
169,597
Latest member
Stevenpoeni
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top