First time bear hunt?

308 Winchester with the right bullet will take any bears. I've never hunted any bears other than black bear, but I wouldn't be afraid to use a 308 on any bear in North America.

308 Winchester with the right bullet will take any bears. I've never hunted any bears other than black bear, but I wouldn't be afraid to use a 308 on any bear in North America.
I have no quibble with respect to black bear, though my 9.3 seems pretty effective. However, I'll be hunting a Kamchatka brown bear in a couple of months (essentially the same as his North American cousin), and I am taking a .375. I don't feel at all over gunned. I am imagine the list of Alaskan outfitters seconding your choice for coastal browns or interior grizzly would be rather short.

If you go spot and stalk or bait hunting
308 is perfect for black bear. For hunting with hounds a 3030 or 44 mag lever action would be great.
Really should look into a dog hunt. If you go right area where really big bear live and give it plenty of time. You will get a chance at a big one. Most people in a hurry. And shooting a bayed bear at 10 ft away is awesome

Jawsnclaws,
One of my friends runs bears with dogs in SE Oklahoma. He does this for fun and dog training. He never shoots the bears , but just calls off the dogs and goes looking for a different bear.

I hunt hogs with him and his dogs and we do shoot the hogs. Good sport!

This was a Spring hunt with dogs in New Mexico. I was happy with the color.

oVmdrcOl.jpg

Attachments

• oVmdrcOl.jpg
    oVmdrcOl.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 87
Crs,
Yeah nothing comes close to the up close and personal experience hunting with the hounds adds to the hunt. I also got a pack of hog dogs. We usually just use knives for the hogs.

just wondering if anyone can set me straight on bear hunting.
Maybe I will save and try for a Bear hunt in the future. It doesn’t have to be the biggest But something that can be a nice floor rug. I believe the Black Bear are the more common bear and cheapest option. I also read they might come in colour variations. Honestly I’d prefer a brownish variation. A short hunt a nice skin and some sightseeing within the area a makes It appealing to the wife
If I travel from Australia I’d want a high probability of success.
I’d maybe take my own rifle but some sightseeing might restrict that.
My wife would come along so maybe an observer option. From a boat/live Aboard? Accommodated package
Can you clarify the term bucket hunt?
I’d like a .338wm All weather Bear rifle in the safe but probably won’t buy one. I know Americans a ought six fans but is a 7mm-8 enough? .308? .300wm? Other suggestions . My .375 is Blued Timber CZ550 American Safari.
Where is a good place to consider going? considering that I would be.an international hunter with little knowledge of America, Canada and Alaska geography . I can look into it once I narrow it down.
What time of year? month. Remembering we have Christmas in summer here.
Anywhere else in the world that I could hunt a bear for less money?
CBH
Chris I have only done a lot of reading about bear hunting and 2 favoured calibers for black bear seem to be the 35 Remington and 358 Winchester. That damn 35 cal keeps popping up.
Cheers mate Bob

it is a great game animal to pursue. I would strongly suggest a spring spot and stalk hunt in late May in British Columbia. Do not go anywhere where they want you to sit over a stinking bait pile for days.
What he said, I'll never hunt them again unless it's spot and stalk.

MarkB i think you could export a dingo. People shoot roos and Wallabys in their many varistions but they are all protected and i dont think you could export unless its tagged and i dont think a hunter can do that. Taxidermist wont touch Natives without paperwork.
Dingoes also classed loosely as Wild dogs as there are few genetically pure populations. Still plenty of places thst are Dingoes. , look like dingoes but in populated areas there are many hybrids.
Are Dingoes native? They say they came 40, ooo years ago with Aborigines. I learned that in school but now they say aboriginals have been here 50, 000 years im getting old.
CBH
Chris a lot of tourist shops sell roo skins to tourists of all nationalities so I assume they can be taken out of country. I know a mate for mine took half a dozen to Holland with him as gifts.
Cheers mate Bob

CBH
Chris I have only done a lot of reading about bear hunting and 2 favoured calibers for black bear seem to be the 35 Remington and 358 Winchester. That damn 35 cal keeps popping up.
Cheers mate Bob
Bob, you seem to have missed one. Now what was that cartridge that bloke was was raving about?
Funnily I had an idea that a .338wm might be well suited to bear. Just a step up from a .300 and an excuse to buy something all weather and label it my Bear rifle

Bob, you seem to have missed one. Now what was that cartridge that bloke was was raving about?
Funnily I had an idea that a .338wm might be well suited to bear. Just a step up from a .300 and an excuse to buy something all weather and label it my Bear rifle
CBH
Chris a nice 300 win mag stainless all weather, zies scope and go and shoot shit.
Cheers mate Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindiac

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg