First safari almost here what should I be doing?

huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
As the title says I am 70 days from leaving for my first safari! Needless to say the excitement is overwhelming. But a question to the guys that gave already been? What should I be doing? What should I dismiss because I am over thinking? Lol thanks for any help.

As the title says I am 70 days from leaving for my first safari! Needless to say the excitement is overwhelming. But a question to the guys that gave already been? What should I be doing? What should I dismiss because I am over thinking? Lol thanks for any help.

Stop over thinking it all. LOL You will be fine and having fun at Pieters place soon. Right know it is just the waiting part to be over. Just make sure you have paperwork passport and your list of stuff you want to take figured out.

Just relax and practice shooting.

Go to the range. Check your packing list, the what and the how, passport and plane tickets. Go to the range.

Stop over thinking it all. LOL You will be fine and having fun at Pieters place soon. Right know it is just the waiting part to be over. Just make sure you have paperwork passport and your list of stuff you want to take figured out.

Got our passports what paperwork would we might need?

Have you done your rifle permits? (SAPS 520)
If you Are you traveling through Dubai have you done your Emerites firearm transfer paperwork?
Do you have a minor child going with that will need unacommanied SA minor paperwork?
Have you been practicing shooting off sticks?
Tell Pieter HI!!

Make copies or originals of all papers you sent to Henry (if using his rifle import service). Original of the Customs 4457 form, one in the gun case and the SAPS form and itinerary. . All of these document should be in your carry on bag or pack.

your using Pieter guns so no gun paperwork. So airline tickets and passport

Have you done your rifle permits? (SAPS 520)
If you Are you traveling through Dubai have you done your Emerites firearm transfer paperwork?
Do you have a minor child going with that will need unacommanied SA minor paperwork?
Have you been practicing shooting off sticks?
Tell Pieter HI!!

Not taking rifles I am using pieters. No minor just me and my wife. I have been shooting off of bipod.

I am really hoping oh kimmy just chills out until atleast after my Africa trip. Would rather not get deployed there bujt I would be happier if It was after I got back and didn't stop the trip all together lol.

Not taking rifles I am using pieters. No minor just me and my wife. I have been shooting off of bipod.

Awesome!

I made copies of all my documents, insurance card, credit cards and ID’s just in case...And packed it all in a manilla envelope in my carry on just in case I lost something.

Have Fun! And don’t overthink the small stuff. Take it as it comes.

I am really hoping oh kimmy just chills out until atleast after my Africa trip. Would rather not get deployed there bujt I would be happier if It was after I got back and didn't stop the trip all together lol.
Hoping you have a great trip. Just dream of Africa right now and keep you mind on what’s in front of you at work. The time is going to pass faster than you might think.

Count down the days on the calendar!!! Practice shooting off sticks, kneeling, and off the bench!

You need a passport, airline ticket, credit card a few bucks in cash, one set of cloths and a camera.
After that, it is all things you might want.

Pack and unpack fifty times just for exercise. ;)

Glad you are excited.

Hoping you have a great trip. Just dream of Africa right now and keep you mind on what’s in front of you at work. The time is going to pass faster than you might think.

I'm not worried about it. I mean I love deploying I just don't want the trip to be postponed lol.

Last edited:
You need a passport, airline ticket, credit card a few bucks in cash, one set of cloths and a camera.
After that, it is all things you might want.

Pack and unpack fifty times just for exercise. ;)

Glad you are excited.

Packing is a breeze. The wife has been learning her camera more and more. She started looking at different action cameras comparing them to gopros.

On the packing, make a list of what you put in your bags both checked and carry on. Then if you pull something out mark it as being out of the bag.

Pack one change of hunting clothes in your carry on along with your camera and optics and wear a pair of boots/shoes that you can hunt in on the plane. That way if your checked luggage gets lost you can still go hunting.

The big thing is not to over pack like all first timers do. I know that I did.

Huntinlabs, you might compare your checklist to those that have been posted previously. Medicine if you take any must be in their original containers. Permethrin (sp) for ticks. Will your smart phone work in Africa? I bought a 30 package from Verizon that precluded surprise costs. Completed Form 4457 for cameras, binoculars, range finders etc.

Save up additional money for more animals!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg