First safari almost here what should I be doing?

huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
As the title says I am 70 days from leaving for my first safari! Needless to say the excitement is overwhelming. But a question to the guys that gave already been? What should I be doing? What should I dismiss because I am over thinking? Lol thanks for any help.

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
As the title says I am 70 days from leaving for my first safari! Needless to say the excitement is overwhelming. But a question to the guys that gave already been? What should I be doing? What should I dismiss because I am over thinking? Lol thanks for any help.
Stop over thinking it all. LOL You will be fine and having fun at Pieters place soon. Right know it is just the waiting part to be over. Just make sure you have paperwork passport and your list of stuff you want to take figured out.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Just relax and practice shooting.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Go to the range. Check your packing list, the what and the how, passport and plane tickets. Go to the range.

huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Stop over thinking it all. LOL You will be fine and having fun at Pieters place soon. Right know it is just the waiting part to be over. Just make sure you have paperwork passport and your list of stuff you want to take figured out.
Got our passports what paperwork would we might need?

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
Have you done your rifle permits? (SAPS 520)
If you Are you traveling through Dubai have you done your Emerites firearm transfer paperwork?
Do you have a minor child going with that will need unacommanied SA minor paperwork?
Have you been practicing shooting off sticks?
Tell Pieter HI!!

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Make copies or originals of all papers you sent to Henry (if using his rifle import service). Original of the Customs 4457 form, one in the gun case and the SAPS form and itinerary. . All of these document should be in your carry on bag or pack.

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
your using Pieter guns so no gun paperwork. So airline tickets and passport

huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Have you done your rifle permits? (SAPS 520)
If you Are you traveling through Dubai have you done your Emerites firearm transfer paperwork?
Do you have a minor child going with that will need unacommanied SA minor paperwork?
Have you been practicing shooting off sticks?
Tell Pieter HI!!
Not taking rifles I am using pieters. No minor just me and my wife. I have been shooting off of bipod.

huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I am really hoping oh kimmy just chills out until atleast after my Africa trip. Would rather not get deployed there bujt I would be happier if It was after I got back and didn't stop the trip all together lol.

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
Not taking rifles I am using pieters. No minor just me and my wife. I have been shooting off of bipod.
Awesome!

I made copies of all my documents, insurance card, credit cards and ID’s just in case...And packed it all in a manilla envelope in my carry on just in case I lost something.

Have Fun! And don’t overthink the small stuff. Take it as it comes.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I am really hoping oh kimmy just chills out until atleast after my Africa trip. Would rather not get deployed there bujt I would be happier if It was after I got back and didn't stop the trip all together lol.
Hoping you have a great trip. Just dream of Africa right now and keep you mind on what’s in front of you at work. The time is going to pass faster than you might think.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Count down the days on the calendar!!! Practice shooting off sticks, kneeling, and off the bench!

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
You need a passport, airline ticket, credit card a few bucks in cash, one set of cloths and a camera.
After that, it is all things you might want.

Pack and unpack fifty times just for exercise. ;)

Glad you are excited.

huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hoping you have a great trip. Just dream of Africa right now and keep you mind on what’s in front of you at work. The time is going to pass faster than you might think.
I'm not worried about it. I mean I love deploying I just don't want the trip to be postponed lol.

Last edited:

huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
You need a passport, airline ticket, credit card a few bucks in cash, one set of cloths and a camera.
After that, it is all things you might want.

Pack and unpack fifty times just for exercise. ;)

Glad you are excited.
Packing is a breeze. The wife has been learning her camera more and more. She started looking at different action cameras comparing them to gopros.

JimP

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
On the packing, make a list of what you put in your bags both checked and carry on. Then if you pull something out mark it as being out of the bag.

Pack one change of hunting clothes in your carry on along with your camera and optics and wear a pair of boots/shoes that you can hunt in on the plane. That way if your checked luggage gets lost you can still go hunting.

The big thing is not to over pack like all first timers do. I know that I did.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Huntinlabs, you might compare your checklist to those that have been posted previously. Medicine if you take any must be in their original containers. Permethrin (sp) for ticks. Will your smart phone work in Africa? I bought a 30 package from Verizon that precluded surprise costs. Completed Form 4457 for cameras, binoculars, range finders etc.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?