Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA
Hunted
USA, RSA
Greetings - I'm looking for a rifle for my son's 7th birthday. Two questions, is this too young? He has very good judgment for a kid his age, and we constantly preach gun safety in our home. Of course, the weapon would be stored in our safe unless he's out with me. Second question, I've decided on a .22LR for obvious reasons - anyone have a recommendation for a make/model? Thanks!

If the .22 is the choice, make sure it's one that fits him. CZ 457 Scout has a short length of pull.

I got my daughter a Savage Rascal for her 5th birthday. Well built, but nose heavy. It’s a single shot, bolt gun with a peep sight and synthetic stock.

If you can find an old Ithaca Single Shot Lever Action (not sure the actual model name), that’s what worked for me. Well balanced and easy to use.

A number of years ago I picked my nephew up from his home and took him to a gun store. When we walked in his eyes lit up and we headed over to the 22 Lr section and I asked them to see a number of them. They didn't have any single shot ones that I cared for so we looked at the bolt action ones.

I'd check one out and then hand it to my nephew for him to shoulder it and to check the fit on him. We settled on a Marlin bolt action who's stock was a little bit too big for him but he could hold it up on his shoulder with pretty good form.

As he packed that rifle out of the store you would of thought that he was passing in review with the President watching. He was the proudest 8 year old in the state that day. In all the process took us around 4 hours with a lot of back and forth on how to purchase a rifle.

He's full grown now and spacers and butt pads have been added as he grew and it still fits him by doing so.

My point being get him involved in the process, if he wants a purple stock see if you can find one. I'll guarantee that he'll never forget the day.

For a 7 year old I would suggest a single shot.

Cricket Youth single shot bolt action is another option, made for kids.

I have a Ruger 10/22 Takedown for sale in the classifieds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything short like the rascal or kricket. When my daughter was seven she hated anything that wasn't comfortable. Gotta be a pretty short length of pull to get a kid to shoulder it properly. And like Newboomer said, it gets a kid used to a bolt gun early on. Definitely handy in a couple years. Good luck and let us know how you make out!!

I like the CZ 457 Scout. Comes with a single shot adapter, 60° bolt, trigger is adjustable, sights are pretty simple and the barrel is even threaded.

So I have experience watching a young person shoot this type of rifle, the exact rifle was the discontinued 455 scout, but literally close enough. The course was the Appleseed Project and over two days I watched him go from a 10/22 to this rifle and he controlled it a lot better. There is a lot to be said for weight of the rifle in shooting under field conditions with a sling vs. bench or stick shooting. The youth stock fit him better and his scores went up an average of thirty points per target with the rifle change. There were still fliers from fatigue and focus loss, but that semi automatic wasn't there to help him repeat bad shots from a bad position quite so rapidly. The interesting point was that despite leaving shots unfired due to his learning the bolt action literally on the clock his hits were so much better that his score still climbed.

My son's first rifle will likely be a CZ, but if I could find an anschutz that was anywhere near shootable for him I'd do it in a heartbeat, but most things look too heavy for a young kid.

The cz Scout seems like a good option.

My kids started with a Lanco single shot I've seen the same branded Stutz

My Twin Nieces started on a Cricket, although they are 19 now, they shot my 375 at 16 and tried everything else we have as they progressed.

CZ all the way. Single shot adapters have been available for a long time. The tangent backsight is excellent for kids.

Ruger 10-22. I started my son when he was 7 or 8 with a single shot lever action .22 so he could focus on marksmanship. But he wanted something more, he wanted to have fun and press the trigger as fast as he could. After spending some time, having fun, he settled down and became a good shot and safe.

Be safe but still let them have fun or they may not want to continue IMHO. The Ruger 10-22 covers both.

Cricket Youth single shot bolt action is another option, made for kids.
Second this. I bought one for my grandson when he was born. He’s now 5 and still a little small but all he talks about is going deer hunting and a trip to Africa to shoot zebra with grampa! Gotta love the grandkids!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,