First little play with CEB Safari Raptors...

BenKK

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
These CEB 475 grain Safari Raptors were at the Post Office yesterday, so today I loaded a few with 95 grains of 2208. The gent who supplied them recommended using 2206H from his Quickload calculator, but another gent recommended 2208 - which is what I had in the cupboard. I’ll try 2206H at some point.

I took three to chronograph, but first wanted to chronograph my 570 grain Hydros that use the same load.

Well, I was a bit unintelligent in that I placed the chronograph on a rickety old wooden chair atop an ant pit, so upon letting the first Hydro go the whole thing crashed to the ground, bending one of the chronograph rods and giving a reading of 49 fps. I found a spanner somebody dropped and straightened the rod as best I could. Then I simply sat the chronograph back on the chair - this time on the ground, which meant I had to kneel.

The next Hydro read 2126 fps. The Woodleigh manual listed 2150 fps for that load.

So then I fired-off three Safari Raptors, and got 2203 fps (fair enough), 2178 fps (okay) and then 2109 fps (what!?!). I am very careful and particular with loading, so I knew all three were identical. I also crimp, and don’t fancy departing from that habit anytime soon for big bore hunting.

So, there’s a mystery. I will have to check my chronograph sometime with loads I know - didn’t have the usual 600 grain PPSNs with me.

I loaded just a handful more of the little Safari Raptors when I returned home, and around mid-afternoon I went strolling.

I forgot to mention that these Safari Raptors feed perfectly in my Sako .500 Jeffery.

The first creek I stalked turned-up nothing.

The second creek turned-up a herd with a very wary cow that sensed something was amiss and forced me to try and wait her out. There was a bull I was interested in. Eventually the bull fed closer around a little spur coming down to the swampy creek, and the distance and angle between him and the cow (and now herd) was such that I chose to attempt a blatant stalk on him despite being quite visible to her. As he arrived at the swamp grass I was able to rapidly close the distance in full view of another approaching bull who chose to focus on his opposition instead of me. My chosen bull was thrashing trees and shaping-up for a fight. He was facing away from me at 35m but then presented broadside and wore the little 475 grain CEB Safari Raptor through the heart. He jogged 30m closer towards me in about five seconds, appearing unhurt, then stopped to face me with unseeing eyes through the long grass and collapsed in some mud, never to stir again. So, he was down in about five seconds, maybe ten at the most. He was about 800kg of animal.

I then went digging for the shank and found it in the meat of the offside shoulder, weighing 369 grains.

I’m just playing with a few different projectiles and compiling anecdotal notes for my own interest, for each buffalo I shoot with this .500 Jeffery. My hypothesis is that they will all kill them pretty quick if put in the right place, and that it will be hard to beat the Woodleigh 600 grain PPSN or 570 grain RNSN for value. We shall see, happy to prove myself wrong but so far have seen some impressive results with PPSNs, Hydros and now CEB Safari Raptors. I do acknowledge that I probably don’t have the CEBs at the ideal speed yet (more on that below).

Now, I do have these CEBs and the Hydros feeding fine, but for some reason I feel I need to be on the alert a bit more than with the traditional bullets in terms of feeding. Call it trust issues! I need to prove the good feeding more to myself.

I feel cautious about how far to go pushing these, as I’m not sure about my chronograph after the accident and I think I might be seeing the primers just a whisker on the flattish side - feedback appreciated on that.

Pictures to follow.

Cheers!

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2257.JPG

So the CEB bullet lost all the petals?
Did it still penetrate straight?
What was the internal damage?
What was the distance?
Does CEB have a recommended impact velocity range?
Very interesting to see their performance.
Thanks!

Crimping with CEBs is difficult due to the body of projectile being sub cal

Glad to hear the CEBs fed well through your action.

I'd push them as fast as you can till accuracy fails

So the CEB bullet lost all the petals?
Did it still penetrate straight?
What was the internal damage?
What was the distance?
Does CEB have a recommended impact velocity range?
Very interesting to see their performance.
Thanks!

G’day Ridgewalker,

Penetration was dead-straight and it lost all petals. My autopsy was incomplete, with the biggest reason being that the bull fell in a slight ditch, so I couldn’t roll him. Time was another factor. I do wish I could’ve seen what the petals achieved - they’ll probably give the boar I’m targeting a toothache! I shot him at 35m. I understand that CEB likes speed, and I haven’t got there yet.

G’day Ridgewalker,

Penetration was dead-straight and it lost all petals. My autopsy was incomplete, with the biggest reason being that the bull fell in a slight ditch, so I couldn’t roll him. Time was another factor. I do wish I could’ve seen what the petals achieved - they’ll probably give the boar I’m targeting a toothache! I shot him at 35m. I understand that CEB likes speed, and I haven’t got there yet.

You still got some good info! Thanks!

I too use the Lee factory crimp dies, they are awesome, but I struggled with using them on the CEBs due the body of the proj being sub cal, so unless the seating depth is adjusted to allow the obturation bands to be level with the case mouth, it will crimp down the the body

Ben those primers look great, but in saying that, primer condition is not really an indicator of pressure, hard or soft cup primers with give Diff visual indicators. But in the end I doubt very much you will ever " Over Pressure " the Big Jeff
Just too much for the shooter to endure

These CEB 475 grain Safari Raptors were at the Post Office yesterday, so today I loaded a few with 95 grains of 2208. The gent who supplied them recommended using 2206H from his Quickload calculator, but another gent recommended 2208 - which is what I had in the cupboard. I’ll try 2206H at some point.

I took three to chronograph, but first wanted to chronograph my 570 grain Hydros that use the same load.

Well, I was a bit unintelligent in that I placed the chronograph on a rickety old wooden chair atop an ant pit, so upon letting the first Hydro go the whole thing crashed to the ground, bending one of the chronograph rods and giving a reading of 49 fps. I found a spanner somebody dropped and straightened the rod as best I could. Then I simply sat the chronograph back on the chair - this time on the ground, which meant I had to kneel.

The next Hydro read 2126 fps. The Woodleigh manual listed 2150 fps for that load.

So then I fired-off three Safari Raptors, and got 2203 fps (fair enough), 2178 fps (okay) and then 2109 fps (what!?!). I am very careful and particular with loading, so I knew all three were identical. I also crimp, and don’t fancy departing from that habit anytime soon for big bore hunting.

So, there’s a mystery. I will have to check my chronograph sometime with loads I know - didn’t have the usual 600 grain PPSNs with me.

I loaded just a handful more of the little Safari Raptors when I returned home, and around mid-afternoon I went strolling.

I forgot to mention that these Safari Raptors feed perfectly in my Sako .500 Jeffery.

The first creek I stalked turned-up nothing.

The second creek turned-up a herd with a very wary cow that sensed something was amiss and forced me to try and wait her out. There was a bull I was interested in. Eventually the bull fed closer around a little spur coming down to the swampy creek, and the distance and angle between him and the cow (and now herd) was such that I chose to attempt a blatant stalk on him despite being quite visible to her. As he arrived at the swamp grass I was able to rapidly close the distance in full view of another approaching bull who chose to focus on his opposition instead of me. My chosen bull was thrashing trees and shaping-up for a fight. He was facing away from me at 35m but then presented broadside and wore the little 475 grain CEB Safari Raptor through the heart. He jogged 30m closer towards me in about five seconds, appearing unhurt, then stopped to face me with unseeing eyes through the long grass and collapsed in some mud, never to stir again. So, he was down in about five seconds, maybe ten at the most. He was about 800kg of animal.

I then went digging for the shank and found it in the meat of the offside shoulder, weighing 369 grains.

I’m just playing with a few different projectiles and compiling anecdotal notes for my own interest, for each buffalo I shoot with this .500 Jeffery. My hypothesis is that they will all kill them pretty quick if put in the right place, and that it will be hard to beat the Woodleigh 600 grain PPSN or 570 grain RNSN for value. We shall see, happy to prove myself wrong but so far have seen some impressive results with PPSNs, Hydros and now CEB Safari Raptors. I do acknowledge that I probably don’t have the CEBs at the ideal speed yet (more on that below).

Now, I do have these CEBs and the Hydros feeding fine, but for some reason I feel I need to be on the alert a bit more than with the traditional bullets in terms of feeding. Call it trust issues! I need to prove the good feeding more to myself.

I feel cautious about how far to go pushing these, as I’m not sure about my chronograph after the accident and I think I might be seeing the primers just a whisker on the flattish side - feedback appreciated on that.

Pictures to follow.

Cheers!
G'day Ben , i too have the sako 500 jeffery and have run 105grns of 2208 and 100grns of 2206H , all with a woodleigh 600 grn pp and fed 215 primers. I'm pretty sure i've gone higher , but without my little black book i'm not going to suggest it. All cases fell out and primers were fine. If your only running 95grns of 08 you have no worries.

Hey Ben, good for you for testing the CEB's for yourself.

Think that I was loading the 475gn Raptors in my .500 NE at 2400fps.
The big Jeff case you are using should do that with margin to spare.

Remember that with these projectiles the greater the velocity the greater the impact, penetration and effect.

Don't be scared to drive them as hard as the cartridge you are loading can handle them.

I’ve enjoyed reading about you guys experiences with CEB’s. I’ve been shooting solids and raptors in my .416 Rigby and .458 Win Mag with very good results (on paper). All shoot well out of both guns, but my Rigby absolutely loves the 370gr Raptors, consistently producing 1/2 MOA or better accuracy at 2450 fps with RL-22.
BA01078E-FE36-42C9-995A-1ABDBC5C0618.jpeg

I’m heading to Zim next week and hoping to see how the solids perform on Elephant and the raptors on Eland, Kudu, etc :D

Great group IdaRam.

A 370gn .416 cal Raptor at 2450fps is one heck of a hammer for any soft skinned game and buffalo as well.

Best of luck to you on your up-coming hunt.

I have had great results with CEB Raptors and Solids out of my 400H&H, 458 Lott and 450 NE on all of the hunts they have accompanied me.
1 Tuskless Ele
2 Cape Buff
1 Eland
1 Wildebeest
Numerous Asiatic Buff Down Under on a cull hunt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg