Firearm Paperwork

Dakota Hunter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Do I still have time to complete all paper work to carry my own rifle to S Africa for a 8-23-21 departure date ?

Absolutely. I used riflepermits.com , they are great. I think they
need all info at least 30 days prior to get a pre approved application. You have plenty of time. You can also show up with all the paperwork and get a permit then , just takes longer.

Are you planning on doing the clearing at the SAP's office yourself or having a service do it like Rifle Permits.com?

The paper work only takes a few minutes to fill out but if you are using a service you need to contact them to see. In my opinion if using a service you still have time but you need to contact them. If doing it yourself you just need the paperwork for when you land.

Agreed. Lots of time. Just go get your 4457 stamped by CBP at your airport and then contact @riflepermits.com. they do a great job.

And don't forget there is an advance approval needed to get it on the plane, if flying Qatar.

The 10 hours to CBP for the 4457 is the biggest hurdle for me. Get on it soon......FWB

I guess I will earn my education next week.

Meaning what?
You need pre-approval for your firearm before boarding a Qatar Airways flight. You can't do that at the ticket counter.

You need pre-approval for your firearm before boarding a Qatar Airways flight. You can't do that at the ticket counter.
Is that a letter I have to write? Or is it me submitting all the forms? I guess that's where my confusion lies.

I am just happy I have seen this because I did not know it was a thing.

Is that a letter I have to write? Or is it me submitting all the forms? I guess that's where my confusion lies.

I am just happy I have seen this because I did not know it was a thing.

Are you flying Qatar Airlines?

The above thread has a little more discussion on the firearms approval. In my case my travel agent notifies Qatar thru the reservation system. She also provided me the form QA Declaration of Surrender of Firearms which needs a [edit] Certificate number and date of
issue- provided by Qatar.

I don't leave until mid July so I'm hardly an expert. I gave Lori the ammo weight and number of firearms just last week. I have not received the approval confirmation back as yet.

Last edited:
I never fly out of the country with a firearm without using an experienced (as experience with accompanying firearms) travel agent. The thread above does cover what you need. Good luck.

The above thread has a little more discussion on the firearms approval. In my case my travel agent notifies Qatar thru the reservation system. She also provided me the form QA Declaration of Surrender of Firearms which needs a [edit] Certificate number and date of
issue- provided by Qatar.

I don't leave until mid July so I'm hardly an expert. I gave Lori the ammo weight and number of firearms just last week. I have not received the approval confirmation back as yet.

She is who I'm booked with too.

It's been an interesting experience thus far, took over 10 months to get a passport. Had to push the date back once. One opportunity at a time.

Thanks for everyone's advice I do appreciate it.

So...I received my lesson today. I was lucky in the fact only one office was on duty. He said he had to trust the ser# I had written down were correct. Most of the time he confirms what is written down by verification of what is on the gun. I had not bought the guns with me, I did take pictures of the ser #s with my phone. I had not seen it posted anywhere and I am not sure what would have happened. I just thought I would give my experience, had he wanted to see them I was only 30 min drive away. Not a deal breaker for me. Reading what some of you have to drive that would be rather difficult and disappointing.

Again this was my first time, maybe this is not the norm. If I had to drive any further than what I did I would call the office and confirm if they need to see the gun in person.

You got lucky! Figure unless they tell you different, they want to see the gun to confirm the SN.

I-6...........you are now the most current source of info around. I am totally surprised that you got by without bringing your guns to CPB. I was told that that was the purpose of the visit....to prove that you actually possessed them. Anyway...that worked out well. I have not taken a firearm since 2016, and looking thru my applic, I was required to provide a copy of my 1040 tax filing..............is that still a req? Best of luck with all the red tape....hang in there...........FFWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vanzierho

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.