Finally upgrading my 375 h&h

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I'm finally getting around to upgrading my cz 550 375 h&h. I just got a new necg white bead front sight fitted and installed and am going to be ordering a leupold vx-3 1.5-5x20 within the next couple days. I think im going to go with the duplex reticle and mounted with warne qd rings. I'm excited to finally be getting the rifle hunting ready. At some point i think i will send it out to AHR and have them do their number 2 upgrade package on it. Although it will be some time before i take it to Africa, i hope to do some preliminary testing with it on black bears and wild boars. I will be sure to post pictures when its ready to go. Feel free to chime in with any other advice or experiences with the optics and reticles or anything else i may be forgetting.

Thanks,
Voodooracer

I think you are building the dream rifle. I would have went with a little more power on the scope if I was in an open area hunting, but 5 power can get it done to 250 yards with a solid rest.

Thank you! I'm going to give the 5x a try since most hunting in my area isn't done past even 200 yards, i think it will be okay. When i'm finally able to go to Africa i may upgrade to a 2-7 or 8x and put the 1.5-5 on my other cz 550 in 458 lott. I am really enjoying getting into big bores and am beyond excited to actually take them out hunting. I'm definitely an addict now hahah

Hi 'Voodooracer',

Just my two cents, but it seems like a good choice to me. I've had a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20 mounted on my .375 H&H for more than 20 years now. I've used that rig to take a wide variety of game in North America and Africa and it has served me very well. For the type of hunting I've done with that particular set-up I've never found that I needed any more magnification than the 5x provides or more light than the 20mm objective lens allows. I therefore don't see how you can go wrong with that combination.

For extreme long range and or low light hunting you'd obviously want to pick another rifle/scope combination that was better suited for that type of hunt . . . . besides, that's what gives us such a great excuse to continue wishing, hoping and buying additional rifles and scopes.

Good hunting to you

Thanks, I agree, although i haven't had much hunting experience in different areas or countries, in the area i usually hunt there have been times where a 3-9 was not necessary. Exactly, it does give plenty of excuses to buy other rifles and scopes haha!

im looking to do pretty much the exact same thing with my 550 in 375. only im thinking a red fiber front sight and a scope with a bit more magnification. the 1.5-5x20 while perfect for Africa is a bit lacking for elk hunting in the north west.

-matt

Matt85 that's very neat, did you see the link to the website I posted on your topic about the fiber optic front sight from necg? I think I'm going to keep the 375 for shorter to medium range work and am probably going to get a ruger no.1 or m77 of some magnum caliber for mostly plains game an put a higher magnification scope on that rifle.

yep, that was exactly what I was looking for. ill order one as soon as my CZ gets back from the factory (went in for cycle issues).

-matt

Excellent, glad to hear. My 550 in 458 lott was a little stubborn feeding solids but the more i shot it, the more smoothly it fed. the 375 fed smooth as silk. I'm sorry to hear yours was having issues. Just an fyi, you may have to do some hand fitting on the front sight. I had to spend a couple hours sanding the white bead sight i got to get it to fit. The base is just slightly larger than my factory one.

my feed issues didn't have anything to do with the bullet. the issue occurred when then bolt was about 1.5" from being closed, the cartridge would bind a little and it would shave some brass off. my guess is the barrel to action fit wasn't quite perfect so it will require some work on the chamber mouth.

-matt

Oh wow, i see. I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully things get straightened out in short order

I'm finally getting around to upgrading my cz 550 375 h&h. I just got a new necg white bead front sight fitted and installed and am going to be ordering a leupold vx-3 1.5-5x20 within the next couple days. I think im going to go with the duplex reticle and mounted with warne qd rings. I'm excited to finally be getting the rifle hunting ready. At some point i think i will send it out to AHR and have them do their number 2 upgrade package on it. Although it will be some time before i take it to Africa, i hope to do some preliminary testing with it on black bears and wild boars. I will be sure to post pictures when its ready to go. Feel free to chime in with any other advice or experiences with the optics and reticles or anything else i may be forgetting.

Thanks,
Voodooracer

Voodooracer,

When you come to africa, if your going to be hunting dangerous game and plains, I would consider a leupold vx3 2.5-8x36 or a 3-9x40 bearing in mind that not all game is shot at dangerous game distances!

But when you do come, your going to love it! I wouldn't trade Africa for any other part of the world!

I may upgrade to a larger scope depending on how well this one suits my needs. I've shot out to 300 yards with a 5x scope before and am fairly comfortable making those shots but the higher magnification does give more flexibility. Im going to probably be investing in an 8mm rem mag or 338 win mag for plains game in the near future and will top that with probably a 3-9x.

CZ550 Upgraded Stock

Hi All,

I ordered a stock out of the States to upgrade my CZ550 - I love the laminate.

Pic attached - I believe CZ may have stopped production...

Ado

Attachments

• CZ550 375H&H.JPG
    CZ550 375H&H.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 150
CZ stopped production, as in closing its doors or just dropping of some models? There has been talk here of the 550 going away.

Just the additional stock options - there were 6, now I think there are only 3 standard options: standard grade, custom grade & Kevlar. The three laminated stocks are gone...

OK, got it. Like I said, there have been rumors for a while about dropping the 550 and updating to another model.

I finally got around to taking a picture of the scope after messing around getting it mounted properly. im really happy with it so far, i'm hoping to get out soon to sight it in. View attachment 25649

securedownload (6).jpg

My apologies, my computer is being a pain in the rear. I finally got it to post the image instead of a link haha.

A Pic of My 375 American with Alaska Arms QD and a Vortex 2.5x10x50,,,slightly different mount than the Warne Mounts

Attachments

• P1000944.jpg
    P1000944.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 138
  • P1000947.jpg
    P1000947.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 142

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katlyn74D

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,