Finally posting pictures of the new double

Chill645

AH member
Reaction score
This is what is now sitting at home. The left is a baikal MR 223 in 45-70 with modifications and the new baby the verney Carron 375 flanged o/u.
IMG_20230212_080126722.jpg

Finding the flanged ammunition has been interesting/hard as it is either rare or just not made around here(USA). PS. 375 flanged was from the last big RIA auction, curious if it was from anyone on this site.
IMG_20230212_075653741.jpg
IMG_20230212_075927429.jpg

Love that VC!

PS- I have some loaded 375 Flanged and some brass if interested PM me.

How does your Baikal shoot? I have one as well and I heard horror stories from some about regulation etc but mine dialed right in with some of my homegrown rounds I can see how pricey it could get with todays prices on ammo how finding what she likes would pose a problem but I'm wondering if they got a bad rep because a normal double that's built of fine quality is regulated by professionals and then set to that particular bullet , and these being a "off the shelf" type rifle takes a little work to get it there , but mine has proved to be much fun , now if I could find it's little sister the 30-06 I'd be in hog heaven lol, I know they are not fine quality doubles but for us poor folk it kindles the dream

And that over under is beautiful as well enjoy

My Baikal has the approval of my grandson. All I’ve killed with so far was a cardboard box that got both barrels. The box never moved.

82A915D3-22D7-4C88-8168-3998B11CF868.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
How does your Baikal shoot? I have one as well and I heard horror stories from some about regulation etc but mine dialed right in with some of my homegrown rounds I can see how pricey it could get with todays prices on ammo how finding what she likes would pose a problem but I'm wondering if they got a bad rep because a normal double that's built of fine quality is regulated by professionals and then set to that particular bullet , and these being a "off the shelf" type rifle takes a little work to get it there , but mine has proved to be much fun , now if I could find it's little sister the 30-06 I'd be in hog heaven lol, I know they are not fine quality doubles but for us poor folk it kindles the dream

And that over under is beautiful as well enjoy
It shoots ok, went thru a few boxes, got it regulated, but problem I had issue. My eye/glasses and the iron sights don't work well. Regulated it with 405gr remington full pressure.

I did some interesting/cheap mods to the baikal, pretty much had it shooting even LR barrel one inch apart at 25yd, but my eye don't work well with the iron sights on it. So farther shots made me waste boxes and ain't cheap. Tried mounting red dot waste of time.

Really nice, I’d be excited too.

Chill645, I like both of them, congratulations & thanks for sharing.

Looking into finding ammo for the 375 as I want to know if it still shoots like this
IMG_20230214_175146953.jpg

A local auction house has one of the Baikal .45-70s up for auction. I think the final price will be less than $1000. Hopefully, much less.

I am very tempted. I know it is marginal for dangerous game. However, I have read about rechamberings to .45-90 and .45-120. Are there other rechamberings that would make sense? I thought of just sticking with my 9.3x62 but the thought of a double is interesting.

What say you?

Under $1k should be a fun gun to own and maybe pop pigs with..

I thought about chasing one for the purpose of rechambering to 45-90… but a few guys on AH advised it wasn’t a good idea due to thin barrels potentially not liking the additional pressure.. so I dropped the idea..

Would not advise rechambering as the barrels are as minimal as can be, the taper start right after the length of the 45-70 cartridge. I thought the so thing, but haven't seen a rechambered one yet.

A local auction house has one of the Baikal .45-70s up for auction. I think the final price will be less than $1000. Hopefully, much less.

I am very tempted. I know it is marginal for dangerous game. However, I have read about rechamberings to .45-90 and .45-120. Are there other rechamberings that would make sense? I thought of just sticking with my 9.3x62 but the thought of a double is interesting.

What say you?
Some of the heavier .45-70 loads push a 500gr bullet about 1600fps. Would that action stand that? The 500gr soft lead bullet at 1200fps took an awful lot of Bison in the 1800s.

Some of the heavier .45-70 loads push a 500gr bullet about 1600fps. Would that action stand that? The 500gr soft lead bullet at 1200fps took an awful lot of Bison in the 1800s.
The barrel on the Baikal-Remington MR221 says the max pressure is 2200 BAR or 31900 HST. I am not sure how this translates to the CIP/SAAMI standards.

The barrel on the Baikal-Remington MR221 says the max pressure is 2200 BAR or 31900 HST. I am not sure how this translates to the CIP/SAAMI standards.
Could you contact the manufacturer? They might know. I am not sure of the pressure on ammo similar to Buffalo Bore. They do state their ammo is safe for the Marlin 95 which is a lever action.

Could you contact the manufacturer? They might know. I am not sure of the pressure on ammo similar to Buffalo Bore. They do state their ammo is safe for the Marlin 95 which is a lever action.
I can't speak for Buffalo Bore but Garrett who makes hot .45-70 ammo does give the pressure loads for their ammo. Some of it is OK and some is too hot.

From further reading, the 31900 HST is the same as 31,900 psi using a CUP measurement. The 2200 is the metric equivalent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg