Finally have my .470 dialed in!

deewayne2003

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Back in February I purchased my .470 Sabatti and the previous owner had filed down the original front sight and per the instructions of Ken Owen, who re-regulated this rifle, I made a temporary front sight as detailed in my previous post.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/first-group-with-my-first-double-470-n-e.55281/#post-624119

Between work, COVID and all the other distractions of life it took longer than expected but I got the temporary front sight calibrated and sent the rifle off to Ken so he could fit a new front sight and have him give it a general inspection/service.

I had told Ken that this rifle was exceptionally accurate and I guess he wanted to confirm that before ordering the new front sight so he installed his own custom peep sight on the rifle and shot it with my loads at 50yds from a standing rest.

50yds With Ken's peep sight, standing rest and my loads
HQ30qnv.jpg

So with accuracy confirmed he installed the new front sight and sighted in 2" high at 50yds just like I wanted and I could not be happier!
4rc0AEE.jpg

Good news! Now plan the hunt!

That is an accurate gun. Can I ask why 2inches high at 50yards with a 570ne double?

That is an accurate gun. Can I ask why 2inches high at 50yards with a 570ne double?
Same reason I sight in my scoped hunting rifles 2" high @ 100 yds = Personal preference

I seem to be much more accurate with a "6 O'clock hold" sight picture vs. keeping the sights on the bullseye.

Excellent regulation!

Is Ken still offering this service? My brother has a 9.3 by Sabatti that could definitely benefit from it.

How is that sabatti for function?

AZDAVE - Yes Ken certainly does good work and it was nice to talk to a man with that much skill and talent that is both humble and helpful!

FYI he mentioned that he had 3 mauser rifles that he had done and were for sale a .404Jeffery, a 10mm and another one that I can't remember the caliber..... Think he was wanting $4k +/- for each and it certainly was tempting to add a Ken Owen .404J to the collection.

NJC - Yes ken is still doing work; when I spoke with him before sending my .470 off he mentioned that he had just gotten a Sabatti .500 in that he was about to start working on.

@deewayne2003
Did you get to OZ for your hunt mate.
Bob

Sadly enough Bob with the travel restrictions in place, it was prudent to suspend my buff hunt until I can enter the country as both a visitor and without spending 2 weeks in quarantine upon arrival.

It is a shame though, I was very much looking forward to spending 2 weeks buff hunting and then we had planned to drive to the remote North West and spend 2 weeks fishing & spearfishing.

I am sure I will return to OZ someday..... Just with all the restrictions everything is still up in the air.

Sadly enough Bob with the travel restrictions in place, it was prudent to suspend my buff hunt until I can enter the country as both a visitor and without spending 2 weeks in quarantine upon arrival.

It is a shame though, I was very much looking forward to spending 2 weeks buff hunting and then we had planned to drive to the remote North West and spend 2 weeks fishing & spearfishing.
³
I am sure I will return to OZ someday..... Just with all the restrictions everything is still up in the air.
@deewayne2003
Mate Australia looks like being shut to overseas visitors until at least next year. Life sucks it's killing our tourism operaters

im so glad u have this success with a sabatti! they have gotten a bad rap but i am absolutely delighted with my 9.3x74r and 450 NE sabattis. they both are regulated great and would not hesitate to add another to my collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.