Finally got to see my mounts

@CBH Australia I would have liked to have my mounts done closer to home, but I simply couldn't afford it. I do expect the possibility of somewhat lower quality from RSA, but only to a degree.
@Randy F The oval mark in the center was a wear spot more than anything if I recall correctly. I hope he didn't narrow it! I'm hoping nothing was changed as far as horn position etc on any of them. The too white I can live with, but the Warthog looks fake to me. Thank you for the kind words.
@DWB I would agree that it's hard to judge from photos, and I'm hoping I'll be pleased overall. But the Warthog has me concerned.
What was the difference in price between the cost to get dipped and packed and shipped and done locally vs having them mounted in South Africa and full mounts shipped home?

Oh boy. Very sorry to hear you’ve been waiting so long. I hope you’re at least getting updates and some kind of communication.
Good luck!
Negative.

@Jeffrey Masters Sometimes things in Africa move much too slow for our liking, and COVID certainly hasn't helped any! I agree that the whole point of the mounts are to bring you back in time to the experience, and I'm sure they will. I don't like the Warthog, but I'm not sure what I could ask them to do. ??

@Jeffrey Masters Sometimes things in Africa move much too slow for our liking, and COVID certainly hasn't helped any! I agree that the whole point of the mounts are to bring you back in time to the experience, and I'm sure they will. I don't like the Warthog, but I'm not sure what I could ask them to do. ??
One thing I noticed in the Taxidermy shop we visited, was the complete lack of ability to paint, and the fact that they black the horns. I only saw one shop mind you, but that shop did reasonable work except for that. I am not sure why they always black the horns. It does not look normal to me. I think the pictures looked very reasonable, and like you, the paint was not a favorite, but again, all the shops seem to do that. I hope you are able to be happy with your mounts. I can promise you one thing, no matter the size of the trophy, or the quality of the taxidermy, you will be the only person on your block to have those amazing experiences hanging on your wall. You are one of the few that is blessed to live the experience, rather than watch it on TV. Take care!

I'm glad you got pictures.
Some of us whent years without a text, email or even a returned phone call from our taxidermist of choice.....
Truth

I don't like the extra creases put into the Kudu neck. I absolutely hate it when taxidermist try to showboat or overplay features. WTH is wrong with making things as original as possible?

Your warthog ended up with great lashes and very pretty eyes;)

I was concerned that my warthog might have been switched on me but I put the photo from the day it was shot a photo of the skull that was left at the dip and ship shop and a photo from the skull when I got it back in the states and came to the conclusion it was the original.
On yours a taxidermist will not put the tusks in as deep as they started to make them look longer.
CACFF34E-C0F3-4E87-AAC1-73A598FC9AF7.jpeg

@375Fox I don't have them yet, so I can't see for sure but I know that it is still going to be a way for me even if shipping is a lot more.

Beautiful trophies. I agree with Randy F, seems like the kudu spread is narrower on the mount vs the trophy picture. It could be an optical illusion from the angle the pictures where taken. I would as for a different picture. I believe the kudu horns can come off, so it may be a matter of readjusting them. My 2 cents.

Way cool. R U going to put springboks on a grouping pedestal or going to showcase them separately? Both gemsbok and kudu appear wider in their hero pics than the finished work I’ve had this happen occasionally from African taxidermists because they are using a standard form. Easily fixed in the states to widen them out. I’m not a big fan of screws in horns anyway but I understand need for shipping. Nicely done. Jacques

Thank you everyone for your complements, kindness, and words of encouragement. If the horns on the Kudu or Gemsbok (or others) have been changed (angle,width,etc) what is my recourse and how would I be able to have it corrected? How could I tell for sure one way or another if there is a difference?
Also.... The Warthog..... Am I the only one that noticed it looks like it's dolled up to go on a date? And worse.... The nose! It doesn't even have nostrils! Is that really standard for a Warthog mount? It looks nothing like it did. (As per the field pictures)
If this is normal, and about all I can expect, then that's fine. But really? Is that the best it's gonna get?

They look good and portray the character of each. Never look too closely, you can spoil your enjoyment by being too critical.

I'm sure the horns for the Kudu & Gemsbok are removable, and I believe once you get them you'll be able to adjust the width by rotating them. If not, I'd get in touch with the taxidermist and have them correct the issue now. Trust me, once your trophies are here, you are SOL. Ask me how I know that.

Just a thought do you have measurements of the horns on the kudu and Gemsbuck? You could have them send you the lengths of the two mounts to compare with what you got when you shot them. There would be some shrinking but it wouldn’t be much.
I tried to superimpose the photos but the angle of view is so different it didn’t work.

@Kevin Peacocke Thank you. I wasn't trying to be TOO critical. For the most part I think they look ok. Except for the Warthog. I'm not really happy about him. I know that there are some very knowledgeable and experienced people on here, and was looking for some feedback. I'm glad I did, because I hadn't even noticed a difference with horn width. And if everyone says that's about all I can expect as far as a Warthog mount, then I'll trust their opinions. I just probably wouldn't get another one done! LOL

There are a lot of taxidermist that can do a pretty good warthog. That one of yours could defiantly be a lot better.

A female and male warthog
0Y2A7452.JPG

I have not been to Africa yet, dealt with your taxidermist (or any African taxidermist), etc so take this for what it is. I'm no taxidermy expert so I'm not even going to try and analyze the photos in detail but rather keep it simple.

If you think the horns need widening and the shop has had good communication, probably best to bring that up now.

As far as the warthog and coloration of capes...I'd wait to see how they look in person, like others have said photos can be deceiving. From what I can tell, the capes appear to be in good shape, which is possibly the most common major issue I've seen in taxidermy horror stories so if that's the case I'd be really happy that the capes turned out nice since that cant be fixed easily or at all.

IF the pig isnt to your standards and it's the best attempt from them, which it ought to be, my $.02 is youre better off paying someone to make it how you want it when it gets to you than going round and round with a shop that completed it how they think it should be done but not how you want it. Artists are stubborn sometimes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg