Finally got a model 70 safari in 416 Remington

Cleveland48

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I’ve been after one of these for quite awhile now. In the process I’ve picked up a interarms in 416 Taylor improved, and a ruger #1 in 416 Remington. And finally was able to grab one of the model 70’s. Hopefully it will arrive by the end of the week, but might be next week. Already have the warne maxima bases, and maxima QD rings ordered. Only bullets on hand are 300 TSX, and 350 TSX. Which I only have whitetail to hunt, so that will be fine. Really looking forward to start working up some loads for it. I may not ever make it to Africa, but between the 275 rigby, two 9.3x62’s, and now three 416’s. Ishould have a decent battery to choose from if I ever get to go lol.

Congratulations, I love my Win M70 in 416 RM!

In my experience the 300gr TSX is one of the best bullets for this cartridge. My personal load of 81.5gr of H4895 produces 2700fps and will be plenty suitable for any game up to and including cape buffalo. This load hits hard and kills fast! The one down side to the 300gr TSX is all the copper fouling it leaves behind in your barrel, especially at higher speeds. You will want to get a strong copper solvent such as Break Free BCF.

-Matt

Hi Cleveland48, what is the recoil like with your Ruger No1 in 416 Remington? Can you post a pic? Will you use it in Africa over the model 70? I have a Ruger No1 in 375H&H and it's game tally is increasing all the time, so far it has taken an impala, a warthog, eland, sable, two zebra, and a buffalo bull. It is great to carry all day, deadly accurate and far quicker to reload than you would think. Looks the part too.

Cleveland48,
Congrats on acquiring your Winchester Model 70 .416 Remington Magnum (formerly known as the .416 Hoffman). So, you now have three .416s? As time goes on, your .416 Taylor Improved will slowly make it's way to the back of your gun safe. When that time comes and it hasn't seen the light of day or a cartridge in it's chamber for many full moons, I would be interested in setting it free. I have some loaded standard Taylors that are screaming to be fireformed, but I can't help them yet. It's in your hands now. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Lets see some range shots with your new to you .416 RM when you get it.
CEH

Congratulations, I love my Win M70 in 416 RM!

In my experience the 300gr TSX is one of the best bullets for this cartridge. My personal load of 81.5gr of H4895 produces 2700fps and will be plenty suitable for any game up to and including cape buffalo. This load hits hard and kills fast! The one down side to the 300gr TSX is all the copper fouling it leaves behind in your barrel, especially at higher speeds. You will want to get a strong copper solvent such as Break Free BCF.

-Matt

I do like the 300 TSX. My load is IMR4166 and 2712 FPS in my ruger number 1. But yes it does seem to copper foul pretty good in my experience.

Hi Cleveland48, what is the recoil like with your Ruger No1 in 416 Remington? Can you post a pic? Will you use it in Africa over the model 70? I have a Ruger No1 in 375H&H and it's game tally is increasing all the time, so far it has taken an impala, a warthog, eland, sable, two zebra, and a buffalo bull. It is great to carry all day, deadly accurate and far quicker to reload than you would think. Looks the part too.

Recoil is pretty brisk but not terrible. I have shot right at 250 rounds through my number 1 so far, and all from the bench trying different loads. So far it has only accounted for 2 whitetail, but did a superb job on both. And I’ve always thought the number 1 was on of the best looking rifles ever made.

Cleveland48,
Congrats on acquiring your Winchester Model 70 .416 Remington Magnum (formerly known as the .416 Hoffman). So, you now have three .416s? As time goes on, your .416 Taylor Improved will slowly make it's way to the back of your gun safe. When that time comes and it hasn't seen the light of day or a cartridge in it's chamber for many full moons, I would be interested in setting it free. I have some loaded standard Taylors that are screaming to be fireformed, but I can't help them yet. It's in your hands now. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Lets see some range shots with your new to you .416 RM when you get it.
CEH

If that time comes you will be first on the list! I remember you asking about it a good while back, and I have not forgotten

4604.jpeg

I forgot the pic

Congrats! I absolutely love my m70 in 416RM, it’s one of the most accurate guns I own with the 400gr tsx’s. I can’t wait to use it on big game.

Congratulations on the new addition. Let me know if you are interested in some factory loaded ammo in 416RM. I have a surplus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.