Fell in love with a working girl

redriverjake

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Europe, Middle East, Australia
She's nothing fancy but but I sure do love her lines. Holland Royals and Westly Droplocks are fine as wine but I'll take a long bar Webley every time. She's an old girl with not much makeup on anymore, her case colors long ago rubbed away but she still locks up smooth and tight and her tubes are clean as a whistle. She speaks loud and clear but her stories of adventures long ago are hers and hers alone. Even now she whispers to me of a yearning to return to wild lands where great beasts still roam and I will acquiesce to her subtle request.

Army & Navy .470 NE
25" barrels
Ejectors
1 standing rear/ 2 folding rear sights
Ivory front bead

20240328_191228.jpg
20240328_191343.jpg
20240328_191419.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you. A bit disappointed though. I expected pictures of a young gal with big boobs, short dress, mesh stockings, and stiletto heels.

She may be well worn but if she's still tight that's what counts. I'm talking about the rifle of course.

Good for you. A bit disappointed though. I expected pictures of a young gal with big boobs, short dress, mesh stockings, and stiletto heels.

She may be well worn but if she's still tight that's what counts. I'm talking about the rifle of course.
Hahaha, sorry to disappoint, Bwana, but I can only afford one at a time and the one with two barrels can help me more at the moment.
My kind of lady.

As a bonus, It appears to be built on the stronger Webley & Scott PHV-1 boxlock ejector action.
Yes sir, I do belive you're correct.

She's nothing fancy but but I sure do love her lines. Holland Royals and Westly Droplocks are fine as wine but I'll take a long bar Webley every time. She's an old girl with not much makeup on anymore, her case colors long ago rubbed away but she still locks up smooth and tight and her tubes are clean as a whistle. She speaks loud and clear but her stories of adventures long ago are hers and hers alone. Even now she whispers to me of a yearning to return to wild lands where great beasts still roam and I will acquiesce to her subtle request.

Army & Navy .470 NE
25" barrels
Ejectors
Ivory front bead
haha had me going with the title I was going to ask where you found her and if she had a sister.

Thanks for sharing, great looking rifle. Dreaming of a double myself.

Congrats, I as well agree on Webley Long Bar, Have a Manton 470 that family will have to pry from my cold dead hands upon my death.

As much as Army & Navy don‘t carry the name value as Holland and Holland and the other London shops, they are still worth a very pretty penny. They also usually come with expertly crafted Birmingham actions and are also well stocked. There is also a lot of romance to the Army & Navies as these were guns typically purchased by young men being deployed as commissioned officers to the far reaches of the empire. The guns really did see the action and adventure you read about in novels. It would be a dream to own an Army & Navy, let alone use one on a DG hunt. Your example is particularly gorgeous. I have an old Army & Navy 12 gauge and the font on the barrels is identical. It gave me goose bumps. All this being said, I think “working girl” is a bit beneath that beautiful gun. No matter what people say, it definitely is a lady.

haha had me going with the title I was going to ask where you found her and if she had a sister.

Thanks for sharing, great looking rifle. Dreaming of a double myself.
Hahaha, these ladies are just as expensive as the two legged ones but won't try take half of your stuff if they leave !

Thank you for the compliment and I honestly believe that dreams of such things are what make life worth living. The romance of Africa and of other wild places is what makes this world tolerable for folks like us and the double rifle is as much apart of that romance as anything else in my humble opinion. I waited for a long time until a rifle "spoke" to me before pulling the proverbial trigger. Money is better spent hunting until that special rifle comes along. Best wishes.

As much as Army & Navy don‘t carry the name value as Holland and Holland and the other London shops, they are still worth a very pretty penny. They also usually come with expertly crafted Birmingham actions and are also well stocked. There is also a lot of romance to the Army & Navies as these were guns typically purchased by young men being deployed as commissioned officers to the far reaches of the empire. The guns really did see the action and adventure you read about in novels. It would be a dream to own an Army & Navy, let alone use one on a DG hunt. Your example is particularly gorgeous. I have an old Army & Navy 12 gauge and the font on the barrels is identical. It gave me goose bumps. All this being said, I think “working girl” is a bit beneath that beautiful gun. No matter what people say, it definitely is a lady.
Yes sir, I don't think that anyone could have said it any better. Many moons ago I did a stint in the Army myself, so that particular history of this rifle and others like it resounds to me. I do wish I could somehow track the life of this rifle, who it belonged to, and get an idea of where it's been. I greatly appreciate your words. Thank you for the reply. Cheers

Army & Navy .470 NE
25" barrels
Ejectors
Ivory front bead
You are a true poet my friend!!! Curious many Army Navy guns were made by such manufacturers as Westly Richards. I have owned one. Might be interesting for you to check out the rifles provence to find out

You are a true poet my friend!!! Curious many Army Navy guns were made by such manufacturers as Westly Richards. I have owned one. Might be interesting for you to check out the rifles provence to find out
Thank you, sir. I appreciate the compliment. I knew that many different makers were commissioned by them but I didn't know that the documentation still existed. By any chance do you know were I can find that?

Thank you, sir. I appreciate the compliment. I knew that many different makers were commissioned by them but I didn't know that the documentation still existed. By any chance do you know were I can find that?
I was fortunate…I had @rookhawk advising me. He tipped me off to this. I would reach out to him to see how he would advise you finding out who made your rifle. In my case I was able to supply the serial number to Westley Richards and they easily found my gun in their records. $100 later I had their certificate of manufacturer which was really cool showing it was built in 1908

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle!

A vintage pre-war British double is near the top on my gun bucket list. Until then the modern production Merkel and Chapuis will have to hold me over

and the rest of us thought Blue Hair and They/Them pronouns tattooed for the world to see was your type

Gotta love those old British doubles! One of the finest 577 NE guns I've ever had the pleasure of shooting was an old Army Navy double.

Army & Navy .470 NE
25" barrels
Ejectors
Ivory front bead

ANCSL records are held at the University of Glasgow. For about 100 GBP a volunteer will pull your build sheet and ledger details for your gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frozenanna

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you