Federal Premium Ammunition

brandondd24

AH enthusiast
Joined
Aug 9, 2015
Messages
440
Reaction score
321
Location
Wisconsin,USA
Media
12
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Member of
NRA life member
Hunted
Namibia,USA, east cape sa
Federal premium

Anyone else like this ammunition? I've used it for African Game and white tails in Wisconsin and never had any issue with them
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've thought long and hard about trying the trophy bonded tip on plainsgame out of my . 308. It shoots great, but in my limited experience, only using it on deer and hogs, it penetrates both too good but doesn't expand. I stuck with corelokts for both. In the end everyone seems to like Barnes TSX, my rifle likes as well, so I'll be taking vortex 150 gr.
 
Always had good results with federal premium for deer, elk, bear, lots or plains game, and buffalo
 
I use the federal premium in accubond, did excellent on my kudu, Zebra bw rh warthog gemsbok. So I guess I answered my own question !
 
I've thought long and hard about trying the trophy bonded tip on plainsgame out of my . 308. It shoots great, but in my limited experience, only using it on deer and hogs, it penetrates both too good but doesn't expand. I stuck with corelokts for both. In the end everyone seems to like Barnes TSX, my rifle likes as well, so I'll be taking vortex 150 gr.
 
I didn't know Federal loaded Accubonds. I'll have to look into it
 
Yep been using federal premium ammo in my 300 win mag for years. Got to love the 180 grain Nosler partion.
 
Glad for all your input, I see a lot of posts on here saying Barnes and others
 
The accubonds federal premiums are 168 grain
 
My hunting partner uses the 180 grain partitions
 
I believe they're good ammunition if your particular firearms likes them. My .30-06 does not like anything but my Hornady hand loads with GMX, SST or Interbond bullets.
 
I'm a Barnes fan, but I've used the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw with excellent results on buffalo and giraffe. I'd have no problem using it (or the sledgehammer solid) if I couldn't get the Barnes.
 
I've used it (the 30-06 variety) on big hogs in the States and PG in Africa. All of my shots were at ranges from 110 to 220 yards, bullet performance was excellent. All animals were DRT. Maximum travel distance was from vertical to horizontal.
 
But never federal premium

I think this is because federal premium is a marketing brand and not the actual bullet, which is what you're getting the actual feedback on.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and there is actually a single Federal Premium Bullet.
 
Royal27, I believe you are correct. It is available with several different projectiles.
 
I have used it in the past but I myself have switched to barnes vortex ttsx for my 300 win mag.

I did tell one of the guys who went with me this year to try it for his 270. We got some in 140 grain trophy bonded bear claws. I loved that bullet but we did have one fail on this trip. It was on a blue wildebeest shot at about 50 yds in the shoulder. The front 1/8" of the bullet bent over on a 45 and only went in a few inches. The next two shots with one being as it ran away finished it.

The rest all worked well but that one did not at all. Just shows all bullets can fail sometimes.
 
For that buffalo hunt you want to do the Federal Premium Trophy bonded Bear Claw should work nicely! I will be using that on Hippo this year.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,288
Messages
1,570,685
Members
168,957
Latest member
piecripsiwel1973
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top