Federal Premium Ammunition

Yea Federal Premium is a marketing brand that loads premium quality bullets in nickle plated cases and does a few extra steps like sealing primers. I've used it in and my Winchester 375 H&H as well as 416 Rem Mag both seem to like the Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Woodleigh Hydro Solids. Both guns also seem to like Remington Premium loaded with A Frames. I used Federal Premium on my elephant and lion. Wish I had taken it for the leopard and Livingston eland.

My .375 loves the federal premium loaded with A-frames!

I'll give a plus 1 on the Federal Premium with the TBBC. I have used them with no issue. billc's comment is the first problem I have heard with them. Goes to show anything can happen.

Didn't know you could get Federal Premium with A-frames now. Sounds like a great choice too.

I'll give a plus 1 on the Federal Premium with the TBBC. I have used them with no issue. billc's comment is the first problem I have heard with them. Goes to show anything can happen.

Didn't know you could get Federal Premium with A-frames now. Sounds like a great choice too.

First time I had seen it happen myself. I use them a lot a few years ago so I was shocked when the tracker showed us the bullet. I felt bad because I told the guy to use them as they were the best choice cabelas had at the time.

I think at one time or another all the different bullets have failed. Just some never get recovered to see how bad and some fail more then others.

Yes used them in my .375 for buffalo, waterbuck, and nyala

We used the 150g Partitions in our 270s when I was ill (couldn't reload). It worked fine but when I chrono'd it later we were only getting 2650 fps. My handloads (watered down from my younger days) easily get 2900 fps with the same bullet.

Yea Federal Premium is a marketing brand that loads premium quality bullets in nickle plated cases and does a few extra steps like sealing primers. I've used it in and my Winchester 375 H&H as well as 416 Rem Mag both seem to like the Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Woodleigh Hydro Solids. Both guns also seem to like Remington Premium loaded with A Frames. I used Federal Premium on my elephant and lion. Wish I had taken it for the leopard and Livingston eland.

This is true, but I believe that Federal has a few propiratary bullets - the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (which is available as a Speer bullet for reloads, again, I think) and the Sledgehammer Solid, for instance.

This is true, but I believe that Federal has a few propiratary bullets - the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (which is available as a Speer bullet for reloads, again, I think) and the Sledgehammer Solid, for instance.

Aren't those actual Speer bullets?

Aren't those actual Speer bullets?
I think they are, but I don't know if anyone else loads them commercially. Speer website isn't very helpful.

Anyway, both are great bullets.

Federal premium

Anyone else like this ammunition? I've used it for African Game and white tails in Wisconsin and never had any issue with them
Going back for plains next year and taking T bonded Tip...Used Fed nosler partitions 1st time and Swift Scirocco last which were very accurate,,sure penetratedbut I'd like a little more expansion..180gr in /06..Way they are made they can't come apart and xpanded size looks about right..I will find out I suppose.

Last edited:
Yes, the TBBC and TBSS (solid) are Speer bullets. You can't get them as a reloading component; only in loaded ammo. And as Speer is a Federal company, you can only get them from Federal. Federal does have their own proprietary bullet, the Trophy Copper. This came about because Freedom Group (Remington) bought Barnes Bullets, plus I think the patent finally ran out on the Barnes design. So now Barnes loads their own or you get them from some specialty place like Superior or Double Tap. Another item - Remington doesn't load Swift bullets anymore.

I just picked up 2 boxes of Federal 300 gr. A-Frame from MidwayUSA. On sale for $59.00/box.

I have over 50 head of game in my collection. 95% of that was killed using Federal Ammo. That being said you have many choices with them. I stopped using them since they don't have ammo for my 375 Ruger and they no longer offer Barnes TSX in 3oo WSM. My 270 WSM shoots sub minute with Winchester 140 accu bonds. I would have NO fear at all shooting Federal ammo on any game anywhere. They give you lots of choices with most calibers.

I think this is because federal premium is a marketing brand and not the actual bullet, which is what you're getting the actual feedback on.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and there is actually a single Federal Premium Bullet.
Your right Royal, federal does not offer their own bullet.

Johnny,
Read my post above. Federal does indeed offer their own bullet.

I'm sorry skimmed through it quickly

No worries, I've done the same plenty of times myself.

Swift a-frame and woodleigh hydrostatic, 300gr, for .375HH

Just awesome stuff!
Woodleighs would have been my next choice if none grouped well.

Does anyone reload the plated brass from federal? Any problems if so?

I reload both 375hh and 470ne plated brass from federal with no issues so far...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross