Federal Power Shok 270 gr .375.. Reviews Please

DOC-404

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Guys,
I can get a few (6) boxes of 270 gr in .375 at a good price. Problem is I don't know them at all.
Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Doc.

I bought a box of these when I first bought my M70. They were as cheap a .375 load as I could find and were for boresighting purposes and to just get used to the gun. Dang things were quite accurate is the most I can tell you. If I didn't have my handloads, I'd hunt PG with these in that pinch.

I bought a box of these when I first bought my M70. They were as cheap a .375 load as I could find and were for boresighting purposes and to just get used to the gun. Dang things were quite accurate is the most I can tell you. If I didn't have my handloads, I'd hunt PG with these in that pinch.

I cannot give you a update on this exact load, but will tell you to be careful of shooting any big game animal with an unproven bullet. I used a hornady interlock 300 in a 375 ultra on my last safari-- the bullet broke up on all game shot with it. I shot a Red heartbeest at 255 and it did not go thru...shot a waterbuck between the front legs at about 90 yards and it did not exit the chest cavity--and last but not least had to shoot a 2000lb livingston eland 5 times to put it down...if your are going to shoot anything you are paying for shoot the best bullet you can---Barnes,Swoft, CEB, Nosler...ect... just for note these bullets shoot sub 3/4 in in my 375... I'll stick with the swifts at a little over a inch for my next big game animal...

The aftermath....

seland2.jpg

@ Phil, hell's bells mate, these things are really accurate out of my CZ 550..! 3/4 inch at 100 meters. Did some tests on a wet pack and the penetration and expansion was excellent. No core separation at all. I'm actually quite impressed.

@ Ed, I hear you and I agree. I must tell you though, I dropped two Eland bulls this season using a very under-rated bullet, the Sierra Gameking in 250gr hand loads. Both one shot kills with outstanding results.

@ Phil, hell's bells mate, these things are really accurate out of my CZ 550..! 3/4 inch at 100 meters. Did some tests on a wet pack and the penetration and expansion was excellent. No core separation at all. I'm actually quite impressed.

Not surprised at all, makes me wonder sometimes why I do all that load development. Fortunately the wife wasn't at the range to see the results or I'd be selling all of my equipment!

The bullet is a standard soft point cup and core bullet.
I guess it is very similar to the Sierra Game King.
I am sure it will kill any PG including Eland, but I would not feel confident about using the bullet on Eland unless I had a full broadside shot and could put the bullet just behind the shoulder or in the neck.

The bullet is a standard soft point cup and core bullet.
I guess it is very similar to the Sierra Game King.
I am sure it will kill any PG including Eland, but I would not feel confident about using the bullet on Eland unless I had a full broadside shot and could put the bullet just behind the shoulder or in the neck.

I have to agree...I have never had a problem with a serria game king..it is one of my fav. bullets in a 375...I shoot 300's in it all the time..just tried something new and got burned.

Ed

definately surprised me how accurate they are to phil when i picked up my 375 which is remm.700 sps d,g i got a box of power shoks to test drive it on the way home and was stunned st the groups on a ghost gum tree (white skin like bark) at about 130 metre .we just picked a spot and three of us fired 3 shots each and the groups wouldnt have been any bigger than three inches . not bad straight out of the box.
i only got em cos they were the cheapest .

I wouldn't hesitate on using them at all on my hunts for PG . Also found them to be accurate.

I have been shooting them on the range for 2 years in my M70. At 100 yards, they shoot as good as I can shoot. I haven't used them on a game animal yet, but I will use them exclusively on plains game on my upcoming African hunting trip, unless my PH/outfitter suggest to me to use something else.
Guys,
I can get a few (6) boxes of 270 gr in .375 at a good price. Problem is I don't know them at all.
Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Doc.
If that price is $31 - $37 per box, buy them! I have 10 or 11 boxes in my safe. All of them came from Academy Sports, but not all Academies carry ammo of that caliber.

I saw on Gunbroker today a place has 4 boxes for $208 with free shipping. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=553324615

Not quite the bargain sierraone is talking about, but a reasonbly good deal. I wouldn't hesitate to use these on PG. I used Remington Core-lokt, another low cost but quality bullet and have had good results with them and very good accuracy.

I have used Power Shoc in 300 win mag for deer hunting with no issues. I would think the 375 would be just as reliable!

When I was considering it, this is the best price I found for American made ammo

http://www.ammunitionsupplycompany.com/Federal-375A-Power-Shok-375-H-H-Magnum-Soft-Point-p/375a.html

clear1x1.gif

Federal Power-Shok .375 H&H Magnum Soft Point 270 Grain Ammo - 20 Rounds/Box
clear1x1.gif

375A-2T.jpg

PBox_Border_Left_Top.gif
clear1x1.gif
PBox_Border_Right_Top.gif

clear1x1.gif

Price / Box: $47.48
Ammo / Product #: 65961

Stock Status:In Stock
Product Code: 375A

Description
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
Extended Information
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif

clear1x1.gif

Federal 375A Power-Shok 375 H&H Magnum Soft Point 270 GR 20Box/10Case

Ammo Product Code 375A
Ammo Caliber 375 Holland & Holland Magnum
Bullet Type Soft Point
Category Large Game
Bullet Weight 270 GR
Ammo Muzzle Energy 4338 ft lbs
Ammo Muzzle Velocity 2690 fps

Attachments

• 375A-2T.jpg.png
    375A-2T.jpg.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 321
Last edited by a moderator:
I got the 300 gr for about the same price about 2 months ago when I got my 375 ... shoots well ~ 1 MOA. Still waiting to test on an animal!

Got four boxes of Remington Safari Grade 375 H&H ammo loaded with 300g A-Frames for $40 a box awhile ago. Haven't seen them on sale since. They are our goto ammunition for our 375s.

I also shoot powershok on the range, but when hunting in Africa on a 1xxxx USD safari I prefer the A-frames (never let me down)...

Two questions:
1. Has anybody tested Federal power shok, 375 HH in Africa, 270 or 300 grains? Which Animals? Eland, Buffalo, Giraffe, Zebra?
2. Is federal casing any good for reloading?

I used Federal Power Shok 300 gr. in my .375H&H two years ago in South Africa. Took Cape Buffalo and Plains Game. One shot on each animal with no issues whatsoever. Longest shot was approx. 100 yards. Have also used it on Elk (30.06) here in U.S. with no issues. Accurate and reliable IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg