Federal Power Shok 270 gr .375.. Reviews Please

In my place, this is the cheapest ammo in 375 HH. Thanks.

Myself and a friend used our 375s a couple of years ago in Namibia. Game taken were, oryx, blue Wildebeest, giraffe and warthog. The Federal 270s worked fine.

Hi All, I appreciate this thread is a little bit old.
But to provide an answer to Mark- hunter, not been able to source Federal Power Shocks here but we have reloaded Federal Brass with Speer 270g BTSP. We used them on a selection of PG on our last trip to Eastern Cape, they worked well. I think the Speer 270g BTSP, just doesn't get appreciated now??? The Federal brass reloads fine , no issues as yet!!! Would not hesitate to recommend.

Two questions:
1. Has anybody tested Federal power shok, 375 HH in Africa, 270 or 300 grains? Which Animals? Eland, Buffalo, Giraffe, Zebra?
2. Is federal casing any good for reloading?
Been shooting my 375 CZ 550 now a month and used 3 boxes Federals PS's 300g and here's my findings.
1- Very accurate on the shooting range, groupings spot on from day one....
2- recoil nothing serious....
3- Black Wilde bees @ 250m broadside; cup and bullet seperated; recovered weight 182g, not impressed
4- Zebra @ 120m, recovered weight 202g, cup and bullet seperated; fine
5- Black Wilde Bees @ 200/250m, perfect mushroom 229g. Very nice
6- Giraffe @ 50m required 4 shots, bull carcass weighed 568,3kg. Recovered 2 bullets. Absolutely shockingly poor performance by bullets. Cups recovered, both bullets basically disintegrated. 80g and 68g recovered..............
7- Blue wilde Bees @ 150m into the chest, went down on the spot, recovered weight 168g.

I'm not an expert, but compared to the Swift/Barnes/Hornady used on my 416 I'm not buying the Power Shoks again...........

Been shooting my 375 CZ 550 now a month and used 3 boxes Federals PS's 300g and here's my findings.
1- Very accurate on the shooting range, groupings spot on from day one....
2- recoil nothing serious....
3- Black Wilde bees @ 250m broadside; cup and bullet seperated; recovered weight 182g, not impressed
4- Zebra @ 120m, recovered weight 202g, cup and bullet seperated; fine
5- Black Wilde Bees @ 200/250m, perfect mushroom 229g. Very nice
6- Giraffe @ 50m required 4 shots, bull carcass weighed 568,3kg. Recovered 2 bullets. Absolutely shockingly poor performance by bullets. Cups recovered, both bullets basically disintegrated. 80g and 68g recovered..............
7- Blue wilde Bees @ 150m into the chest, went down on the spot, recovered weight 168g.

I'm not an expert, but compared to the Swift/Barnes/Hornady used on my 416 I'm not buying the Power Shoks again...........
you can not compare them to a swift bonded bullet .

Have used Federal Power Shok 375H&H 300 grain SP on several hunts over last few years. Have managed to take every animal cleanly with it.....Bison, Cape Buffalo and Plains game included. Recovered bullets from African game were all fully mushroomed with decent weight retention. I didn't weigh them but no complaints from me.....it's affordable (so far), available, accurate and reliable. I used it because it was only brand available locally in country when I hunted South Africa and Mozambique in 2018. I knew that in advance so was able to practice with it. FYI, Cape Buffalo was angling away and picking up speed when I pulled the trigger (125-150 yards). Bullet entered just behind ribs on right side and was recovered lodged in off (left front) shoulder). Animal traveled about 50 yards before collapsing. No insurance shot needed. Before the critics get started, I was hesitant about taking that shot buy my PH disagreed....glad I listened to him. No issues with using it on Plains Game either. Bison (taken last year in U.S.) was also moving.... crossing in front of me right to left full out.....pulled the trigger at about 60 yards. Hit him in left front shoulder....knocked him completely off his feet and he never got up. Never recovered the bullet so don't know if we just missed it or it fragmented into pieces. I didn't care either way.....it did it's job....both shoulders were broken. Probably better ammo out there for .375 but I have solid confidence in Federal Pwr Shok SP .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross