Favorite cartridge/rifle for moose

Now a days i use this ugly thing, Sauer 303.
Sauer 303, with wooden stock is very nice looking rifle, modern seni auto, with traditional look! I always wanted one! ;)

+1 The Whelen is pretty hard to beat for any large bodied big game in North America.
My Uncle always hunted with a Remington in 35 Whelen. My Dad and his other brothers all had Remington 30-06's, so my Uncle, being the youngest, wanted to be different. I was always interested in the caliber, so it is a shame they don't make more rifles chambered for it.

@Pheroze
But at least there's a few 358 Norma.
More than the 300, 338 and 7mm mags combined.
Bob
I wonder why the 358 Norma is so popular. It seems an odd choice but I suppose that's from a North American perspective. Maybe the components etc. are just easier to get there?

is the sauer 303 a 303?
bruce.

Nope, a modern semi-auto available in chamberings ranging from 7x64 to 9.3x62. Not sure if it is a switch calibre design like 202 and 404 though.

Philip there are lots of guys more knowledgeable than me but a few things people don't think of.
Alaska can be pretty swampy. More so then say Wyoming or Montana. Consider that with footwear choices. Really study up on how to judge antler size. I know very experienced hunters who got it wrong.
I am a huge fan of shooting sticks now. If you're in waste high willows you can't go prone for a shot the way you can in the Rockies.
If you come through the Palmer area send a PM. I'll probably be moose hunting but if not I love swapping hunting stories.
Thanks so much! I guess I need to pack my sticks. Several have mentioned it.

Thanks so much! I guess I need to pack my sticks. Several have mentioned it.
Philip I like the collapsible Primos Trigger Stick. The traditional African style would be a bit awkward to haul around, especially solo.

I'm sure you already know weight might be an issue. If you haven't done backpacking between all your Safaris you might go to an REI and learn about the lighter camping gear from the granola eaters.

Depending on where you are silty rivers in Alaska can be tough on water filters. I always have a chemical backup.

Philip I like the collapsible Primos Trigger Stick. The traditional African style would be a bit awkward to haul around, especially solo.

I'm sure you already know weight might be an issue. If you haven't done backpacking between all your Safaris you might go to an REI and learn about the lighter camping gear from the granola eaters.

Depending on where you are silty rivers in Alaska can be tough on water filters. I always have a chemical backup.
Thanks. Yes I was thinking of taking my trigger sticks. They are my fav

Our team uses almost exclusively 308 and 30-06. And 12 gauge - young people who do not have 5 years of experience to purchase a rifle.
Rifles are mostly German, Blaser or Mauser with interchangeable barrels. They were designed with the Russian market in mind, since we have a limited number of guns, but you can have as many barrels as you want. There is a pair of Browning-Bar-2. Also 308 or 30-06, and only one has 338 Win.
Another popular model - civilian version of the SVD-Tigr, 7, 62x54R (not in our team).
Our "natives" (rural hunters) use the cartridge from the AK-47, for the SKS or civilian versions of the AK-Saiga. By the way, about shooting at the knees: doubtful. Moose on three legs run almost faster than on 4.
I personally use the semi-auto 308, a rework of the AK-47 "Vepr"
I use in 308, and now after looking at the carbine of Peter Larssen, I ordered a mount and a stock for my military Mauser 98k 7,92x57 .

We live in a funny time, first vests became mandatory, then masks. The only thing missing is the clown noses.
IMG-20201106-WA0006.jpg

Last edited:
I have used the 30-06 and 7mmRemMag. The 7mm with 145LRX handloads is my current moose rifle.

Two years ago my girlfriend killed her Maine bull moose with a 25-06 and 115TSX handloads. That bullet went completely thru both shoulders and exited.

Nope, a modern semi-auto available in chamberings ranging from 7x64 to 9.3x62. Not sure if it is a switch calibre design like 202 and 404 though.
There is such a miracle as the SVD-9 (Tigr-9) in the caliber of 9.3x64. This is the perfect "karamultuk" for forest hunting for elk, wild boar, bear. But it is almost impossible to get it, they were released in limited quantities. The military samples passed the military tests and proved to be very good, but they did not go any further. Civilians ones - they were bought up apparently by rich collectors. Dream.

Moose hunting is very popular where I live, west-central Canada. I would say the most commonly used moose hunting cartridges are .308, .30-06, 7mm Rem. mag, .270, and formerly the .303 and .30-30. In recent years a few more hunters are carrying .300 magnums.
I think carrying and shooting comfort ( thick bush "instinctive" shooting) are more important than power, and certainly more imporant than long range capabilities. But long range shooting is becoming "fashionable' and has influenced moose hunters choices. Long barrels, big scopes with twisty turrets and heavy rifles with noisy synthetic stocks are a mismatch for our local moose hunting, but there is a trend is towards those choices. I have killed most of my moose with .308/180 gr. and it was entirely adequate. I have also used .35 Whelen/250 gr., .30-06/180 gr., 7x57/175gr., and .375 H&H/300 gr. I could not say there was any noticeable difference in effectiveness. Ranges varied from 10M-300M.
Moose mainly rely on their excellent senses of hearing and smell to avoid predators. I have spooked several moose while stalking them with a hollow stock synthetic rifle. The noise the stock makes when a small branch scrapes along the surface is enough to alert a moose. I now avoid such noisy stocks. I prefer wood, and if conditions are very wet, laminated wood.

Last edited:
Our family has shot more moose with a 30-06 than anything else. .243, .257 Roberts, .280 Rem and 300 and 338 Win Mag have also put meat in the freezer. I may pull out the 375 H & H this year just for fun.
@aknome
All nice calibers mate except the 243. It is the bane of my life.
The old ought six is just reliable and keeps plodding along
Bob

@aknome
All nice calibers mate except the 243. It is the bane of my life
they say that in Sweden, 6.5 mm is the main caliber, and the main shot is in the lungs. However, this may be due to the fact that there it is an army caliber, and this fact always leaves an imprint.

I think, from my conversations with other hunters the same trends are in progress here.
Though the 338 Winchester is also a popular round. There is also a smattering of bigger bore folks such as myself. Which, I certainly do not profess as needed. But I like them, and I use them. In my area, 200 yards would be a Long-shot.
Fully agreed of the branches and twig scrapping against synthetics = noisy. The outer gel coated ones are quieter, but slicker in the rain / mist.
Moose hunting is very popular where I live, west-central Canada. I would say the most commonly used moose hunting cartridges are .308, .30-06, 7mm Rem. mag, .270, and formerly the .303 and .30-30. In recent years a few more hunters are carrying .300 magnums.
I think carrying and shooting comfort ( thick bush "instinctive" shooting) are more important than power, and certainly more imporant than long range capabilities. But long range shooting is becoming "fashionable' and has influenced moose hunters choices. Long barrels, big scopes with twisty turrets and heavy rifles with noisy synthetic stocks are a mismatch for our local moose hunting, but there is a trend is towards those choices. I have killed most of my moose with .308/180 gr. and it was entirely adequate. I have also used .35 Whelen/250 gr., .30-06/180 gr., 7x57/175gr., and .375 H&H/300 gr. I could not say there was any noticeable difference in effectiveness. Ranges varied from 10M-300M.
Moose mainly rely on their excellent senses of hearing and smell to avoid predators. I have spooked several moose while stalking them with a hollow stock synthetic rifle. The noise the stock makes when a small branch scrapes along the surface is enough to alert a moose. I now avoid such noisy stocks. I prefer wood, and if conditions are very wet, laminated wood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg