Favorite cartridge/rifle for moose

Lower cut off point, would probably be minimum caliber legal requirements.

I don't think there is such a thing as "best" as any caliber that kills quickly at the range you plan on shooting is good enough. Once you have enough gun to do that, how much better can you get? Lets see, there is dead, extra dead, really dead and graveyard dead. Any one of these will put meat in the freezer. I have used a 338win once,a 308win twice, a 300H&H once and a 270win 6 or 7 times. All of which put moose in the freezer. I'm not sure how to tell if one worked any better than the next. I think a better question would be where is the cut off point as to being too small. And, even that is pretty subjective. It will be interesting to see how many will say this or that whiz bang magnum is the best.
@Probono
The me the best rifle is the one you have at the time as long as it will do the job.
Bob

few yards behind. By a reflex and with intention I shot the moose in the shoulder area. What a mess.. We had to throw I would estimate 30-40 lbs or more of good meat. Could`nt even give it to the dogs.
puh ,there you have but quite spoiled dogs :cool:
hund-verwohnt-englische-bulldogge-gekleidet-wie-eine-prinzessin-auf-weiss-em1fhc.jpg

Funny thing: I've never owned a model '94. Back in the day I really wanted one, had a Winchester 88 in .358 Win., a Savage 99 (with the brass rotary magazine) in .300 Sav., a Marlin in 35 Rem and another in 44 mag. A Winchester .22 but no '94. I think that they are one of the handiest rifles ever, better to carry than a Marlin. (Without a scope...)
I always wanted a 1895 in 30-06 as well. Knew an ol one armed trapper that used one. But that is another story...
Rick, I am with you on wanting an 88 and 1895, and those calibers would be outstanding. I have the 99 in .300 Savage - it almost went to Africa this time and may well next time. And I have a 336 in .35 Remington. In fact, my largest moose fell to it; I was shooting the Buffalo Bore stuff from it.

I don't think there is such a thing as "best" as any caliber that kills quickly at the range you plan on shooting is good enough. Once you have enough gun to do that, how much better can you get? Lets see, there is dead, extra dead, really dead and graveyard dead. Any one of these will put meat in the freezer. I have used a 338win once,a 308win twice, a 300H&H once and a 270win 6 or 7 times. All of which put moose in the freezer. I'm not sure how to tell if one worked any better than the next. I think a better question would be where is the cut off point as to being too small. And, even that is pretty subjective. It will be interesting to see how many will say this or that whiz bang magnum is the best.

Agree with you on that I used a 270 on most of my game for 25 years. I grew up in North central BC when moose where plenty, one of my friends shot his Moose every year with a 243 all one shot kills. Bullet placement is everything.

there is no right answer here, just room for lots of opinions.

on another thread, it was asked, was the 308 was it enough for eland? it will kill em, probably not ideal and one would have to pass on some shots or angles. i have a similar take on moose that are probably not as large as eland on average.

I've killed em with 7mm and 3006, but graduated to a 338 win (which i think is about ideal for moose) and currently hunt mostly with a 375 ruger. (just happens to be my brown bear/guiding rifle). lots of moose have been killed with a 30-30, so...who is right? shot placement and good bullets are primary.

the only real advantage is that with a larger bore rifle and very good bullets is that there are no worries on tough shot angles. you WILL get enough penetration, even on tough angles to do a good job.

Hopefully heading to Newfoundland in the next few uears for moose. .375 Ruger loaded with 250 grain Barnes TTSXs if Barnes ever gets around to making bullets for reloaders ever again.

Either that or my .358 Win with a similarly premium bullet of about 200-225 grains.

Either should put a moose on the ground inside of 250 -300 yards.

Hopefully heading to Newfoundland in the next few uears for moose. .375 Ruger loaded with 250 grain Barnes TTSXs if Barnes ever gets around to making bullets for reloaders ever again.

Either that or my .358 Win with a similarly premium bullet of about 200-225 grains.

Either should put a moose on the ground inside of 250 -300 yards.
Very easily!

Weather permitting, I am headed out for a two day moose hunt starting tomorrow. I will be toting my Savage 99E/.308/handload 150 grain Partitions. Zero worries.

Weather permitting, I am headed out for a two day moose hunt starting tomorrow. I will be toting my Savage 99E/.308/handload 150 grain Partitions. Zero worries.
Perfect! My Dad has shot a lot of moose with his Savage 99C in .308 Win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!