Favorite animal hunt

1. Tie- Leopard and buffalo I probably won't hunt another leopard but will hunt multiple buffalo.
2. Tie- Oribi and Vaal Rhebok
3. Tie Roan and Hippo.

Will update after next years elephant hunt.

For me my favourite hunt was my Canadian moose/elk horseback hunt just south of the Alaska Hwy. It was a dream hunt from a young age and was my biggest outlay for a hunt to that time. Being in Northern BC, being picked up by Super Cub beside the hwy, flown into camp, seeing the wonderful landscape, hunting amongst bugling elk, moose, stone sheep, caribou and grizzlies, sleeping in my cabin tent with my rifle close by. Stuff my dreams are made of. Nice elk and a last day small legal moose.

IMG_1055.jpeg
IMG_1761.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably Bob Marshall Wilderness elk hunt. Horseback 22 miles into the backcountry from trailhead with a traditional canvas tent camp. Everything I dreamed of doing. Beautiful ride in, then dumped 7 feet of snow on top of the mountain, below zero temps. Physically demanding…rivaled climbing mountains in B.C. Goat hunt! Spotting several bulls, sliding down the mountain, following my grizzled guide, closing the distance to get set up for a shot on a mountain monarch 7x7 bull but he had disappeared and shooting a 6x6 instead which I was happy with!

Climbing back up the mountain, wondering and questioning myself, can I even make it? Wanting to quit, feeling pain and exhaustion, must rest every 20 yards but must go on! One step at a time, can’t lay down and die, like an automaton, keep going….. finally making it to the top, guides made a fire and the relief of seeing our horses…still another 2 hour ride back to camp but so happy to have made it up the mountain. Was it worth the cold, the pain, the soreness, pushing yourself to your maximum limit and beyond? Yes! The answer is yes!

IMG_1295.png
IMG_2005.jpeg
IMG_2126.jpeg

So far for me it has been buffalo but I see elephant and leopard in the near future so that may change. For non dangerous game hyena would be my favorite.

I’ve been asked several times what’s my favorite hunt. My answer is the next one!

As far as species in North America, big mule deer, mountain sheep and bugling elk are all great and it’s tough to pick just one. Those mornings when the elk are really fired up, you’re right in amongst them and you hear hundreds of bugles are hard to beat.

I’ve been very fortunate to take some giant old bucks/bulls/rams over the years. I knew about my biggest mule deer for a couple years and two of my clients missed him before I got him myself on the last afternoon of the season in 2017. As for my best bighorn, I spotted him six days before the season and then he disappeared for five days! A buddy and I found him again the night before season and I was able to get him on opening morning. He turned out to be the biggest ram ever killed in the unit. My best elk was killed with a muzzleloader on one of those crazy rut mornings with bulls bugling all around me. Took a while to weed through them all to finally get within range of the bull I was after.
IMG_3513.jpeg
1681894010641blob.jpeg
1681901738763blob.jpeg

As for African animals, my lion and sable are probably my favorite hunts. It took three days to get the lion after I first saw him and two days to get my best sable.
IMG_2229.jpeg
IMG_7722.jpeg

Hard to just pick one animal or even just one hunt.

But for me in Africa my two most hard-won species would be my Elephant and Bongo,
I did 45 days for my elephant and struggled heavily on my bongo hunt finally connecting on day 8.

My elephant hunt took me across two countries with many of days coming to the end of the tracks with no legal bull by Tanzania standards so finished a 21 day Safari there then traveled to the Timbavati in South Africa where I got lucky to take a bull of a lifetime. Its been one of my most rewarding hunts.

With my Bongo the humidity was hard from me coming from a high desert atmosphere, it didn’t help I was 28 pounds heavier (overweight) but we finally connected on a big bull after 7 days of getting out butts kicked, even up till I left I was complaining about the forest but after being back home and locking back ( and having lost 26 pounds) I would go back tomorrow.

Last edited:
I’ve been asked several times what’s my favorite hunt. My answer is the next one!

As far as species in North America, big mule deer, mountain sheep and bugling elk are all great and it’s tough to pick just one. Those mornings when the elk are really fired up, you’re right in amongst them and you hear hundreds of bugles are hard to beat.

I’ve been very fortunate to take some giant old bucks/bulls/rams over the years. I knew about my biggest mule deer for a couple years and two of my clients missed him before I got him myself on the last afternoon of the season in 2017. As for my best bighorn, I spotted him six days before the season and then he disappeared for five days! A buddy and I found him again the night before season and I was able to get him on opening morning. He turned out to be the biggest ram ever killed in the unit. My best elk was killed with a muzzleloader on one of those crazy rut mornings with bulls bugling all around me. Took a while to weed through them all to finally get within range of the bull I was after. View attachment 595863View attachment 595864View attachment 595865
As for African animals, my lion and sable are probably my favorite hunts. It took three days to get the lion after I first saw him and two days to get my best sable.View attachment 595867View attachment 595868
some great hunts!

Like many it is really kind of hard to say what is my favorite, like @Scott CWO mule deer and elk are tops at home. When it comes to Africa I think chasing big kudu that can disappear in a heartbeat has to be right up there at the top based upon what I’ve been able to hunt so far.

IMG_2275.JPG
IMG_1373.JPG
IMG_5417.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG

If locally in the midwest US, Wisconsin for Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock when the leaves fall. Where I live, it would be tree rats! I really like the start of our hunting seasons when it starts to move into autumn and finding a good spot to sit in some mature hardwoods. A rimfire rifle preferred over a shotgun.
For the few times in South Africa, it would be Bushbuck. So similar to our white-tailed deer but stop and stalk versus sitting in a ladder stand.

I have a bunch of good hunts under the belt and still working on my favorite. :LOL:

Some photos of last 4 years or so of good hunting with family including friends.
Very blessed to share these and able to do these hunts. This year I will be doing a giraffe cow management hunt not hunted a giraffe myself yet.

Taking my new 7x57 in Limpopo for meat and then whatever I can arraneg or come up with along the way. Hunting is part of my ife and the moments are there to cherish and there is always more favorites coming up.

2.jpg
4.jpg
9.jpg
19.jpg
20190809-093559.jpg
20210717-152252.jpg
20220702-164138.jpg
20220703-092856.jpg
20221211-125511.jpg
20230608-085231.jpg
20230609-123432.jpg
20230609-124116.jpg
Boston-28.jpg
IMG-20220318-WA0038.jpg
Kimbuff2.jpg
Njala.jpg

I have a bunch of good hunts under the belt and still working on my favorite. :LOL:

Some photos of last 4 years or so of good hunting with family including friends.
Very blessed to share these and able to do these hunts. This year I will be doing a giraffe cow management hunt not hunted a giraffe myself yet.

Taking my new 7x57 in Limpopo for meat and then whatever I can arraneg or come up with along the way. Hunting is part of my ife and the moments are there to cherish and there is always more favorites coming up.

View attachment 596242View attachment 596243View attachment 596244View attachment 596246View attachment 596247View attachment 596248View attachment 596249View attachment 596250View attachment 596251View attachment 596252View attachment 596253View attachment 596254View attachment 596255View attachment 596256View attachment 596257View attachment 596258
Bravo @Frederik living the good life for sure!

Favorite animal hunt.....

The ones shared with friends. Whether it's hunting whitetail deer, rabbits, doves, squirrels, or turkeys its all about making and sharing memories and the stories of the hunt.

To choose only one animal to hunt, it would be grouse. These birds are just fun to hunt.

Taking my best friend out hunting for his first tume. Guided him around and showed him how to hunt.
First game was an egiptian goose with a 17hmr.
Followed a few days later with a rabbit via spot a stalk and 12ga sxs.
Followd by a few pigeons and after many tries a nice doe was his first "big" game taken.
Never achieved a boar sadly.

All in a friends lease.

He died short time after all this at the age of 40.

Bravo @Frederik living the good life for sure!
It helps to live in Africa for sure.

Working hard making plans scraping monies together dreaming and so on. When I pass one day I'm taking nothing with me so might as well spend time enjoying what this life on earth can give us.
I'm sure hunting will even be better in heaven.

Seems to me looking at the photos buffalo comes up quite a bit last few years although only 3 is mine the rest is friends and my son.

Scott, CWO.

You guys consistently kill the largest of each species In Colorado. Especially MD

I’m gonna need those coordinates for where you killed that that Bull :ROFLMAO:
Haha well my bull is nice but yours is bigger!

I enjoy hunting in all its forms, days spent archery and rifle hunting for whitetails in PA are some of my fondest memories. That being said, I DREAM of my african safaris past and those to come. My favorite to hunt ... Zebra. Hands down. Then Kudu, Gemsbok, Eland, WIldebeest, Nyala, Bushbuck, Impala, Blesbok, Hartebeest, Springbok, Warthog, Bushpig .... and the list goes on.

For US it would be a hard choice between waterfowl and whitetail. Both are extremely nostalgic for me but I would probably say whitetail. We got an awesome camp with great guys and I love hunting with my dad.
For Africa, my giraffe was super cool, but I would say the eland was more fun to hunt. It was a hard stalk and they are so wary. Seeing that huge bull with that black mop and drooping dewlap got the adrenaline pumping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noafrica4me

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you