Farquharson 450/400

Thank you, guys. Truth be told, after the initial euphoria from purchase I'm finding it a little hard to justify ever choosing to use that Army & Navy double over my go-to H&H scoped single shot in .375. The H&H weighs a good 2lbs less, plus I just shoot that thing with absolute confidence and my load makes everything I hit fall on the spot. When I bought that H&H intending it to be "the last rifle I'll ever need," perhaps I knew what I don't want to even admit to myself...

Perhaps I'm becoming... sensible in my old age? Or perhaps I just need to force myself to make some memories with the Army & Navy double. Either way, my zest for collecting fine British classics may be a tad ahead of my ability to rack up safari after safari. It would take me to, oh, 2040 to be able to use them all with one safari per year!

I think I need to be talked out of this bout of commonsense. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you, guys. Truth be told, after the initial euphoria from purchase I'm finding it a little hard to justify ever choosing to use that Army & Navy double over my go-to H&H scoped single shot in .375. The H&H weighs a good 2lbs less, plus I just shoot that thing with absolute confidence and my load makes everything I hit fall on the spot. When I bought that H&H intending it to be "the last rifle I'll ever need," perhaps I knew what I don't want to even admit to myself...

Perhaps I'm becoming... sensible in my old age? Or perhaps I just need to force myself to make some memories with the Army & Navy double. Either way, my zest for collecting fine British classics may be a tad ahead of my ability to rack up safari after safari. It would take me to, oh, 2040 to be able to use them all with one safari per year!

I think I need to be talked out of this bout of commonsense. :ROFLMAO:
I am having similar deliberations. My single shot .375 is all the rifle I "need" for hunting but I enjoy firearms and can usually justify a reason to save for and purchase another "want." Even if they do not always have an immediately obvious use that would justify the purchase. I have all the high-tech, tactical, synthetic and precision instruments I need but there is something about wood and steel and history that will always call to me. Double rifles, here I come!

Either way, my zest for collecting fine British classics may be a tad ahead of my ability to rack up safari after safari. It would take me to, oh, 2040 to be able to use them all with one safari per year!

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a gun I like and thought, "that would be great to take to Africa". Then like you, sensibility kicks in and I realize how many times I would have to go to use all of the guns I've shared that thought about.

Which brings up a good question. How many hunting trips could the average guy pay for if he sold the rifle's he'll "use it someday"?

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a gun I like and thought, "that would be great to take to Africa". Then like you, sensibility kicks in and I realize how many times I would have to go to use all of the guns I've shared that thought about.

Which brings up a good question. How many hunting trips could the average guy pay for if he sold the rifle's he'll "use it someday"?

That's a hell of a good question and one that I have debated in a slightly modified form: how many hunting trips could I afford if I just stopped buying rifles?

Answer: in my case at least one more each year. I think it can all be summarized in the following formula:

If: (Ecr + HT) > (Enr - HT)
Then: dont' buy new stuff and go on safari

Where: Ecr = enjoyment from current rifle; HT = hunting trip; Enr = enjoyment from new rifle.

That's a hell of a good question and one that I have debated in a slightly modified form: how many hunting trips could I afford if I just stopped buying rifles?

Answer: in my case at least one more each year. I think it can all be summarized in the following formula:

If: (Ecr + HT) > (Enr - HT)
Then: dont' buy new stuff and go on safari

Where: Ecr = enjoyment from current rifle; HT = hunting trip; Enr = enjoyment from new rifle.

Nice. I'm not criticizing anyone for buying firearms if that's what they want. It's more or less just something I keep in mind when I see a new bright shiny thing. In the same tone of, "I could never use them all anyway".

You collection of British classics is well worth it though I'm sure. The H&H for one is a thing of beauty. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!