Farm Murders

Bostmeyer

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We are looking into a trip with Kuche safaris in August but we are heading so much about the large amount of farm murders targeting safari sites. Has anyone heard anything about this? How serious is it becoming? Is hunting trips safe at this time?
Thanks to all the group members for the support and advice!

Take extra ammo--use it if you can, leave it behind with the good guys if you can't...

Yes hunting trips are safe. I would not stop in Johannesburg as a tourist though without a guide. Where have you read about any farm murders targeting safari operations? An active hunting camp with a large staff, several PHs, and multiple hunters is not an ideal target. An elderly farmer living away from town with only a few staff is who is at risk.

I have heard nothing with respect to safari operators being victims. As noted above, they represent a very high risk target. You will be fine. Like anywhere else in the developing world (really sad that now includes South Africa), don't go adventuring on your own.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 21.35.33.png

The folks targeted.

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 21.43.36.png

The latest report states farms and small holdings. Nothing was stated about any Safari operation.

The "attack" stats are FLAT, NOT increasing year over year.

Apparently these guys track the issue.
AfriForum

If you are vulnerable you could be a victim! You’re out hunting you have a gun. Have a good time! You’re not in Chicago looking for a slice of pizza. Farmers are farming and that leads to complacency!
South Africa is a lawless and corrupt country not unlike ours.The outfitters down there are tough. I would not hesitate to go!

Hello everyone,

We are looking into a trip with Kuche safaris in August but we are heading so much about the large amount of farm murders targeting safari sites. Has anyone heard anything about this? How serious is it becoming? Is hunting trips safe at this time?
Thanks to all the group members for the support and advice!
Seemes your info is not coming from a reliable source.
Yes, Crime is bad murders are up but you will be guided and taken to safe areas by your outfitter.
Roaming around in Joburg or even Cape Town on your own is more dangerous than going hunting DG.

What has happened recently is police pulling over Safari vehicles and asking for permist on the firearms tryig to entice a bribe. But that has been stopped.

I am no hearing any thing about increased attacks. My son in law and several friends farm in the Eastern Cape, there was a murder there a few years ago, just scoundrels looking for money, the police got them pretty quickly.

As they say the most dangerous part of your hunt is from the airport to your hunting area.

I have been on 5 safaris in last 6 years. I feel plenty safe there. Never been an issue. PH will make sure nothing happens to you. Worse part is Airport in JNB. Just use common sense and don't go out and about in town without your PH or a guide. I feel safer over there than I do in Houston driving or shopping and I am packing a handgun 99%of the time here at home now a days. Go and enjoy Africa and don't worry about what you read in papers or hear say. I would be more worried about tick fever or malaria than being robbed.

I would be more nervous stopping my car at a light in Florida (especially with Canadian plates). Or going to Walmart in Idaho where everyone has a gun under their shirt. I can't remember ever reading about schools in South Africa being shot up. The last time I hunted moose on the opener up here (circa 1993) I thought I was going to have to shoot it out with some hopped up looney. Angry about something but totally incoherent. Then there's the Vietnamese guy who shot and killed everyone in a hunting camp (nine as I recall) over a tree stand dispute. Was that last year when the old guy supposedly out of the blue shot another duck hunter and then disappeared in the swamp? Wonder what that was really about. The survivor's story didn't make a lot of sense to me. Duck hunters purposely shooting at each other is apparently a common occurrence in Arkansas. I remember listening on the CB radio as guys were shooting at each other during a 1987 salmon derby in Washington. Your hunting experience in South Africa will be MUCH safer than hunting here... or Christmas shopping in an American mall.

I heard the same news in 2018 on my first trip and again in 2020 on my second trip. Yes, they were pulling over vehicles to get a bride and we experienced this but my guide was tough. He was very knowledgeable in handling every situation.

The only issue we had was running into poachers while on the hunt but the PH handled it. The news at the time was about massive riots in Johannesburg but when I got to Johannesburg they were small and very isolated. It wasn't all of Johannesburg but a couple townships that we avoided.

Go enjoy and don't believe everything you read. Talk to your PH. I am going in August with my wife. I am not overly worried, but I will be cautious.

I am no hearing any thing about increased attacks. My son in law and several friends farm in the Eastern Cape, there was a murder there a few years ago, just scoundrels looking for money, the police got them pretty quickly.
I had thought that South Africa was the “safest” African Country to hunt in? That the risk was higher in Zim and some other Countries - that was years ago and never had any details to support that claim either way. Most of the Hunting warnings now seem directed at Mexico. The advice from others on this thread makes sense: don’t wander around alone and stay with your PH.

I had thought that South Africa was the “safest” African Country to hunt in? That the risk was higher in Zim and some other Countries - that was years ago and never had any details to support that claim either way. Most of the Hunting warnings now seem directed at Mexico. The advice from others on this thread makes sense: don’t wander around alone and stay with your PH.
I think you are confusing most developed country with safest. I think Namibia and Botswana have the best record for being for being the most stable countries.

I’ve only ever hunted in Namibia (4 times) and have never felt unsafe. I will be in RSA and Zimbabwe this year and next before going back to Namibia in 2025 and don’t anticipate any issues. Basic situational awareness is important, make sound decisions to include booking with reputable outfitters and PHs and all should be fine. Like others have said, I am more on edge in some of the bigger metro cities here in the states that I have ever been while in Africa.

I have been there 7 times in the last 6 years. South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe. I have never encountered an issue. Heading back in July of this year.

Pack your bags and have a great hunt. The only downside is you will be wanting to book your next hunt before you ever finish your first hunt.

Johannesburg and Cape Town both have extremely high crime areas like all US cities such as New Orleans. Stay in reputable hotels before your PH picks you up and you should be safe and sound. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

I would be more nervous stopping my car at a light in Florida (especially with Canadian plates). Or going to Walmart in Idaho where everyone has a gun under their shirt. I can't remember ever reading about schools in South Africa being shot up. The last time I hunted moose on the opener up here (circa 1993) I thought I was going to have to shoot it out with some hopped up looney. Angry about something but totally incoherent. Then there's the Vietnamese guy who shot and killed everyone in a hunting camp (nine as I recall) over a tree stand dispute. Was that last year when the old guy supposedly out of the blue shot another duck hunter and then disappeared in the swamp? Wonder what that was really about. The survivor's story didn't make a lot of sense to me. Duck hunters purposely shooting at each other is apparently a common occurrence in Arkansas. I remember listening on the CB radio as guys were shooting at each other during a 1987 salmon derby in Washington. Your hunting experience in South Africa will be MUCH safer than hunting here... or Christmas shopping in an American mall.
....WTF? A Walmart in Idaho where everyone has a gun under their shirt is nearly the safest place on earth, second only to a gun show in ID or MT, where everyone has a gun under their shirt AND several on the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg