Extra foam inserts for Double rifle cases

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by curtism1234, Oct 3, 2019.

1. curtism1234

curtism1234 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
    I am about to order more pieces of foam

Thinking about cutting the foam insert in half and then cutting out the rifle shapes. That way there is a lot of flexibility in terms of rifle combinations.

Is this a common practice and are two halves inside the case stable for travel?

Tra3 and Rph95 like this.

2. Mark Biggerstaff

Mark Biggerstaff BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I never have tried cutting in half. But I do have 3 different inserts for my Pelican 1750. All depend on which rifles and gear I will be taking.

3. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    My Pelican came with 3 pieces of foam. I've cut one the shape of my rifle and the other two are the top and bottom layer. I read on a previous post, a suggestion to buy an inexpensive memory foam mattress topper off of Amazon and use it for the top and bottom layer and use the foam that came with the Pelican for cutting to fit various rifles.

4. smokepole

smokepole AH Member

Member of:
    nra life member
    Hunted:
    south africa, Zimbabwe, AK, VA, TN, NM, CO KS, SD, MT (USA)
    My son and I recently purchased a one and a two gun pelican. we took out middle foam and put each rifle in a shotgun soft case and they fit perfect length wise and lay beside each other without overlap. With case closed guns are protected from each other side to side and from each end. Leaves room for removed bolts and 4 boxes ammo. Did the same with one gun in single case. Sent to Moz for 2 weeks then back to SA for a week. All traveled well. The added bonus you have a soft case to use in camp/hunt vehicle.

5. Tra3

Tra3 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Namibia
    Good idea. Take photos.

I’ve not had any problems with items migrating in the closed case. There is a fair amount of extra room in a pelican double case for knives, bipod, extra scope, etc.