Express Sight Question

5shot

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
How far above the scope bases should the V Notch be for an Express Sight? Should the whole blade be above the base or is a portion of the blade enough for quick shooting?

Of course, the optical part of the answer is that it does not matter. As long you can see the rear sight, you can aim accurately.

Of course, the mechanical part of the answer is that in order to avoid too much triangulation, you do not want the iron sights overly high above the bore axis. But you would need to have them bizarrely high to have an accuracy issue as distance increases.

But all of this is vastly irrelevant to the true purpose of express sights. The true purpose of this big shallow rear V and this big fat front bead is not accuracy, it is speed, and herein lies your answer. Your express sights should be instantly visible without any visual encumbrance, for instant acquisition and snap shot as you get the rifle to your shoulder. Express sights were designed for very close range, very fast shooting at charging animals. You cannot afford to take the time to search for them among a clutter of metal on top your rifle.

If time were not the issue, much more refined micro-metric mechanical sights would be on every DG rifle. But it is not the case... Actually, many folks find that acquiring the big shallow V of the rear sight might even take too much time, and they prefer the rear ghost ring for even faster shooting: all you need to focus on is the front sight... And of course, shotguns do not even have rear sights (yes, I know, they shoot a pattern, not a bullet, but the point stands: you generally do not have the time to use a rear sight on a flushing quail...).

If your scope bases slow down the use of your express sights, they defeat the very purpose of express sights. How high does your rear sight need to be above the scope bases? Only you can determine that for yourself, but I personally do not want scope bases that hide even the lower portion of the rear sight. I find that it is OK for the scope bases to hide the rear sight base, but not the rear sight blade itself.

Just my $0.02. I hope that it makes sense to you :)

Thanks for the reply...I will make sure the Island is sufficiently high that the entire blade is visible. The front scope base is only 0.175" above the receiver, so there is no need for an extremely tall Island anyway.

Bear in mind that you may have to file the V down to sight in. Depending on your setup, it may prove easier to change front sight beads, blades or whatever you end up with. I have two rifles with Express sights and had to file both in, but despite their shortcomings, I like them and often shoot pretty well with them. I found an London Small Arms Enfield sporter (factory) in the LGS a few years ago, wearing express sights that were still untouched despite the extreme vintage of the rifle, around 100 years or so. I was advised by many to leave that rear sight alone, but was finding it difficult to get the results I wanted so went ahead and filed it in. Couldn't be much happier with it.

Thanks...I'm going to lay the sights out to make sure I can get a good 50 yard zero without having to more than a little filing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KerstinPaq

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.