Everything I hate about plastic guns in one picture

I think one plastic gun nobody on this forum, or it’s generation of handlers will call soulless is the Rhodesian FAL. Real guns with plenty of soul, used by real men with even more soul…

Image1677177046.373252.jpg

I see a divergence in reactions to the OP. Some here are able to see the somewhat tounge in cheek/somewhat serious comment it made and replied in the same or at least conversational tone while others have taken a different tack altogether with a couple taking offence and replying as if it was a personal attack or at least a generational attack on them personally. I saw the op and subsequent posts making a statment using the "plastic guns" trope to make a deeper comment on how society has changed from when things madewere intended to last where they are now made to a price point and the loss of actual build skill.
I can relate to that in another vien where when I started in the building and joinery industry, we would build the house from the foundation to the roof where now they have sub crews to do each component so no-one (as a rule) has the skill and knowledge to do the complete job themselves. In the joinery shop we would machine the timber from rough sawn and make all the door and window frames, doors and windows plus all the cabinettry where now it is all units from the build store with cabinettry being foe the most part compressed wood of one type or another with veneers to give it some character. Not the same thing at all and completly in line with what @rookhawk was saying.

You know my humorous initial post was really lamenting the underbelly of societal issues rather than the actual fact we use petro-chemicals to make firearms, right? :)

But the damning societal commentary is really about the beta-male. There are sadly a ton of people out there that cannot maintain anything. Plastic guns and Jiffy Lubes are symptoms of this. I'm looking at three guns right now behind my desk that are in for their annual maintenance. Each took about 5 minutes to have a bit of hand rubbed oil "topped off" to put them back into the condition they were last year at this time. No big deal and pretty hard to mess that job up, but people are paralyzed by service/maintenance/repair of about anything.

Plastic guns need a lot of maintenance too, people assume a stainless barrel means that everything in the action is stainless. (almost never true) They've actually been the guns I've handled that were most likely to be non-serviceable. (because the owner assumed they were maintenance free and now there are issues)

At any rate, we are entering a world where people are helpless and unskilled. We need more people that can gap a sparkplug or clean a gun properly.
@rookhawk
Fortunately I own a diesel so no more setting the gap on spark plugs and don't get me started on setting the gap on a set of points.
There's something cathartic about rubbing some oil into the stock of a rifle and remembering the hunts you have shared together.
I put some silicone spray on my plastic and stainless rifle and the dam thing almost slipped out of my hands. Just not te same.
Bob

@rookhawk
Fortunately I own a diesel so no more setting the gap on spark plugs and don't get me started on setting the gap on a set of points.
There's something cathartic about rubbing some oil into the stock of a rifle and remembering the hunts you have shared together.
I put some silicone spray on my plastic and stainless rifle and the dam thing almost slipped out of my hands. Just not te same.
Bob
Yep, I remember my late maternal Grandfather showing me how to change spark plugs and replace the points (and gaping them) and condenser on my '64 Olds, my first car. Then using a timing light to set the distributor and then locking it down. I later bought a '65 Ford F250 in the '90s and did all the tuning and MORE to it. Back when you had room in the engine compartment! LOL

Yep, I remember my late maternal Grandfather showing me how to change spark plugs and replace the points (and gaping them) and condenser on my '64 Olds, my first car. Then using a timing light to set the distributor and then locking it down. I later bought a '65 Ford F250 in the '90s and did all the tuning and MORE to it. Back when you had room in the engine compartment! LOL
I can’t help to much with points and carburetors, I’m too young. I’m sure I could tell you a thing or two about 7.3s however.

I think one plastic gun nobody on this forum, or it’s generation of handlers will call soulless is the Rhodesian FAL. Real guns with plenty of soul, used by real men with even more soul…

View attachment 519288
Have a FAL, Para model. Like it also.

@CoElkHunter
Never used a timing light just set at 12 to 15 degrees btdc as set off dizzy spark. Adjust the carry using garden hose like a stethoscope to get the most uninfore sound. Worked a treat.
Bob

I can’t help to much with points and carburetors, I’m too young. I’m sure I could tell you a thing or two about 7.3s however.
@Wyatt Smith
Is a 7.3 some new caliber some one is bringing out to fill a gap somewhere.
HA HA HA HA
Bob

I fail to understand why a grown man would give a ratsazzz what gun another fellow hunter is using. I'm in Shane's campe too.......they're just tools.
@JGRaider
Some shooters/hunters own tools for hunting and some are just tools as well.
Not directed at anyone just based on experience of people I've met
Bob

I'm a tool junkie. Been collecting since I was a kid; hand saws, drills, Daisy BB guns, hatchets, axes, bows & arrows, .22 rifles, .hand planers, shotguns, loppers, chainsaws, wire twisters, centerfire rifles wrench & socket sets, etc. Have used all of them their fullest extent. Some have gone to the landfill, others to the steel mills. Eventually, 95% go to one of the mills with an electric furnace. Back in my steel mill career, I saw a bucket dumped that would make some on here need medication. I'm sure there were a few in this operation and sorry, these weapons were not all junk.

I'm a tool junkie. Been collecting since I was a kid; hand saws, drills, Daisy BB guns, hatchets, axes, bows & arrows, .22 rifles, .hand planers, shotguns, loppers, chainsaws, wire twisters, centerfire rifles wrench & socket sets, etc. Have used all of them their fullest extent. Some have gone to the landfill, others to the steel mills. Eventually, 95% go to one of the mills with an electric furnace.

Hello Hogpatrol. My name is Dewald and I have a problem as well…

Hello Hogpatrol. My name is Dewald and I have a problem as well…
The ones with barrels attached to plastic, aluminum, composite or wood handles are the toughest to bypass buying,

I'm a tool junkie. Been collecting since I was a kid; hand saws, drills, Daisy BB guns, hatchets, axes, bows & arrows, .22 rifles, .hand planers, shotguns, loppers, chainsaws, wire twisters, centerfire rifles wrench & socket sets, etc.
Don't forget blow guns and sling shots!! :)

I'm a tool junkie. Been collecting since I was a kid; hand saws, drills, Daisy BB guns, hatchets, axes, bows & arrows, .22 rifles, .hand planers, shotguns, loppers, chainsaws, wire twisters, centerfire rifles wrench & socket sets, etc. Have used all of them their fullest extent. Some have gone to the landfill, others to the steel mills. Eventually, 95% go to one of the mills with an electric furnace. Back in my steel mill career, I saw a bucket dumped that would make some on here need medication. I'm sure there were a few in this operation and sorry, these weapons were not all junk.

@Hogpatrol
You should have seen the 1,000s of guns destroyed after 1996 in Australia by Jack boot johnny Howard's new laws.
Bob

@Hogpatrol
You should have seen the 1,000s of guns destroyed after 1996 in Australia by Jack boot johnny Howard's new laws.
Bob
I can just imagine. The bucket I saw had Lugers, Enfields, Garands, M1 carbines, Springfields, Mausers and side by sides that looked like they were still plenty usable. The gun guys at the plant were crying, me included.

I can just imagine. The bucket I saw had Lugers, Enfields, Garands, M1 carbines, Springfields, Mausers and side by sides that looked like they were still plenty usable. The gun guys at the plant were crying, me included.
@Hogpatrol
Screenshot_20230225-104951_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230225-104959_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230225-105129_Google.jpg

The sheer stupidity of the Australian government. Historical weapons went as well but I still wonder ow many disappeared into private collections.
There's more guns in Australia now than pre 1996 , we just can't have semi auto. They don't rwalize a single shot will kill you just as dead as a semi. Joe citizen doesn't know the difference they are guns and I'm not going to disarm you because I can't tell the difference between a single and a semi. Come to think of it I ain't tell the difference between shit and clay.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross