Endangered ferret clone

Just tell me where these big guys are, I have the proper bakkie

3495137425_b5fc69dedc_b.jpg

American Lion would be a game changer

1614013749316.png

The American lion (Panthera leo atrox or P. atrox) is one of the largest types of cat ever to have existed, slightly larger than the early Middle Pleistocene primitive cave lion, P. leo fossilis and about 25% larger than the modern African lion.

The head-body length of the American lion is estimated to have been 1.6-2.5 m (5 ft 3 in–8 ft 2 in) and it would have stood 1.2 m (3.9 ft) at the shoulder. Thus, it was smaller than its contemporary competitor for prey, the giant short-faced bear, which was the largest carnivoran of North America at the time.

The American lion was not as heavily built as the saber-toothed cat Smilodon populator, which may have weighed up to 400 kg (880 lb). Sorkin (2008) estimated the American lion to weigh roughly 420 kg (930 lb), but a more recent study showed an average weight for males of 256 kg (564 lb) and 351 kg (774 lb) for the largest specimen analyzed.

Attachments

• 1614013644391.png
    1614013644391.png
    981.5 KB · Views: 91
What I've heard is that in Australia they were looking at the option of cloning for the extinct Tasmanian Tiger. Do not know if its true.

I expect in the next 5 years for a real thylacine to be verified, probably on the mainland. There are too many unconfirmed sightings out there. 100 years is not a long time.

Between the American lion, the velociraptor, mastodon and T-Rex... We‘re all gonna’ need a bigger trophy rooms.
Dip and pack and shipping costs are going to be outrageous.

Plus I believe we'll need bigger rifle calibers & guns. The good 375 may not be enough as a minimum caliber. :)

When I was in undergrad one of my Professors had done her dissertation on black footed ferrets. The founder population of all the reintroduced animals is less than 10 (7 I think). Even back then this was an idea, there are not a lot of historical specimens but from the studies that have been done there is a lot more genetic variability out there than currently exists in living animals. It is my understanding that the technology is still not able to produce a viable clone from older material, like the historical specimens but is coming along nicely.

I think there are several components of the Northern Hemispheres fauna that were wiped out that have unfilled niches. Maybe someday...

there could conceivably be a North American Pleistocene BIG SIX...

Columbian Mammoth
Wooly Rhino
American Lion
Short-faced Bear
Smilodon (Sabre-toothed Cat)
Giant Ground Sloth

To appreciate some of these animals you only need to go to the LaBrea Tar Pits in Hancock Park in Los Angeles and stand next to the amazing fossils.

Columbian Mammoth - incredible ivory...

Columbian Mammoth.jpg

Then there might also be a Triassic Big Five...

Last edited:
And why are Pronghorns able to run at 60 MPH?

American Cheetahs.

Lots of cool species that would be incredible to hunt this side of the Pleistocene-here at a couple examples. . .
4B2C1F57-8B02-4222-83D0-BACF41072566.jpeg
A1E62876-E506-4237-B6F4-A0CC95C96CDD.png

Kinda makes you wish for a life preserving pill so we could hunt some of these critters if and when they come back..

I expect in the next 5 years for a real thylacine to be verified, probably on the mainland. There are too many unconfirmed sightings out there. 100 years is not a long time.
That would be amazing. Some odd way I am interested in the fate of the Tasmanian Tiger. Would be great news if there are still specimens alive.

I read somwhere, on some of hunting shows a taxidermist had full mount of sabre toothed tiger, by combining the skin of some of the extant cats, plus sabre toothed tiger scull with teeth. it looked great.

There was one on display at SCI a few years ago, it was interesting to look at

C3B05088-963B-4661-90AA-163976203BF7.jpeg

you may get to hunt your mastodon after all-be a shame to bring them back just to watch them get wiped out due to global warming:ROFLMAO:

hello, how can i solve this problem with this page showing? eyeg

So what is the minimum caliber for velociraptor?
Gonna be a fun free range hunt for these suckers.
Pretty small so... .308, .30-06, 7mm, .303, something like that. Might even be overkill.

But a Jurassic Park 'raptor that's closer to Utahraptor or Deinonychus? Well I wouldn't recommend a SPAS-12... :p

Plus I believe we'll need bigger rifle calibers & guns. The good 375 may not be enough as a minimum caliber. :)
Read " A Gun For Dinosaur" by L. Sprague DeCamp.
Enjoyable little yarn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg