Elk hunt gear?

Whitworth375

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hey all, havent posted in a while but looking for some advice.

A friend and i recently sent deposits on an elk hunt for 2023 and were looking for reccomendations on boots, packs etc for the hunt. It is a fully guided hunt based out of wall tents, late september in Alberta. We will be flying out then taking either ATVs or boat into camp. So whats everyones best boot they can reccommend??

Thanks!

Kenetrek boots, badlands pack and a Pelican Air case.
I have the uninsulated and the 400 gram kenetreks - If you’re hiking / stalking i’d choose the uninsulated. If you’re sitting on a point or in a stand go with the 400s. I use mine in colorado and they are the best boots I’ve found for cold weather hunting.

The badlands packs are the most durable and comfortable that I have found - tons of options depending on what you specifically need.
I’ve been using Pelican cases for years, they can be left out in the elements, dropped in the water, insect/pest proof and lockable.

I have a boyt rifle case I’ve flown with a bunch without issue and little cheaper then Pelican. KUIU pack i have has treated me well. All gear seems to be brand based. Someone will swear by sitka, firstlite, kuiu, etc and no one is wrong. I strongly recommend if on Facebook to join some gear groups for the above brands. Can find some bargains. I have big box store wool layers and name brand coats/puffys. Unless you just want to be matchy matchy and look a million bucks you can get warm and comfortable for decent prices

I should have explained the pelican air - it’s a suitcase, not a rifle case. Its great for throwing all your gear in and not worrying about the dust/dirt/rain/bugs getting into your stuff. The pelican gun cases are good but pretty heavy

Boots - Lowa, Kenetrek, Crispi, Irish Setter Elk Tracker…all depends on what your environment is.

I’ll recommend Darn Tough socks with whatever boots you pick.

Edit: I forgot to mention Meindl boots.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far. Weve got the hard gun cases covered. Will have a look around at cabelas for packs to take our gear in with. The boots i wear now for work are timberland pros and they are super comfortable but im looking for something with a bit more ankle support

I wear a pair of Meindl boots with 400gms of insulation when the weather is going to be rough such as snow.

I also wear a pair of Meindl hikers if the weather is going to be warm and nice.

I hate to think of the number of miles and the elevation gain and loss that I have done in those boots.

For a backpack I just use a 1900 or so Badlands day pack.

For your travel into camp ask your outfitter. I did a 23 mile pack in on horses on a bear hunt and used 2 duffel bags that would sit on each side of the pack horse.

Kenetrek boots, badlands pack and a Pelican Air case.
I have the uninsulated and the 400 gram kenetreks - If you’re hiking / stalking i’d choose the uninsulated. If you’re sitting on a point or in a stand go with the 400s. I use mine in colorado and they are the best boots I’ve found for cold weather hunting.

The badlands packs are the most durable and comfortable that I have found - tons of options depending on what you specifically need.
I’ve been using Pelican cases for years, they can be left out in the elements, dropped in the water, insect/pest proof and lockable.
+1 on the Kenetrek boots and Badlands pack. Everyone knows Pelicans are tough.
The Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400s are the most comfortable boots I own. Felt broken in when I put them on the first time. They will meet your need for ankle support. Mine are ten years old now, have many hundreds of miles on them, and have many to go before I'll need to replace them; and I will buy another pair of Kenetreks when that time comes. Planning on getting a pair of the uninsulated soon.
Don't want to know how many day packs I have bought. There's a small heap of one's that survived, but didn't satisfy all the needs; there have been a bunch that were given away or thrown away. Haven't bought myself another one since 2008 when I bought a Badlands 2200. A few years later, I bought my son one. When I packed my bighorn's full body cape, head, and backstraps off Pikes Peak, the pack didn't have any problems; I, on the other hand, had to rest often, lol.
Thanks for the replies so far. Weve got the hard gun cases covered. Will have a look around at cabelas for packs to take our gear in with. The boots i wear now for work are timberland pros and they are super comfortable but im looking for something with a bit more ankle support

From what you mentioned ,you may want to pack a pair of muck boots as well for the quading or if you’re floating the river at all. If you are in muskeg or water alot a pair of mucks are very handy to keep you dry.

Disclaimer. I never hunted there but I hiked all over BC and parts of Alberta on packrafting trips. Parts of Alberta feel like Colorado (drier mountains). Other places feel more like Michigan (forests and Muskeg).

I would talk to your outfter and get an idea what to expect. The hunt might not be what a normal Colorado hunt would look like (or it might be very similar).

A friend and i recently sent deposits on an elk hunt for 2023 and were looking for reccomendations on boots, packs etc for the hunt. It is a fully guided hunt based out of wall tents, late september in Alberta. We will be flying out then taking either ATVs or boat into camp. So whats everyones best boot they can reccommend??

Thanks!

I would ask your guide what he uses and the type of terrain

Typically a kentrek mtn guide 400 would be an excellent choice for rugged cold hunts but Terrain and hunting style is an important factor..maybe you could get by with say a crispi Colorado or altitude

Weight limitations?

Two pairs of boots and a boot dryer is ideal...if no electronics then check out grawkshaw boot dryers

Badlands will be great if your not packing any meat...again ask your guide what he wants you to pack...somthing 3-4000 cubic inches to accommodate some down clothes with out needing to play tentras

If your packing meat but elk is a rare thing then kuiu might be a good option but I destroyed one packing out 11ish bulls in a fall once..maybe there better now

I would go with Crispi boots, specially if you are going up and down mountains. I am a huge fan of KUIU clothing, design for mountain hunting and very light. Socks, smart wool, or KUIU socks.

You did not mention which season you will be hunting. Also what part of the state. Makes a big difference.

Kennetrek, period. I have three different pairs depending on what I am doing and will wear nothing else now after years of wearing other boots and being disappointed.
I would also highly recommend Darn Tough socks.
As I am sitting here perusing AH, I am wearing a pair of my Kennetrek uninsulated hiking boots and Darn Tough socks, the same setup I will be wearing for my Buffalo and crocodile hunt this summer.

View attachment 463482

I have hunted elk quite a bit in Montana. For a late September hunt in Alberta, I am guessing you need to be prepared for a wide temperature range. I use Kenetrek Hardscrabble (https://kenetrek.com/products/hardscrabble-hiker ) non-insulated boots for warm to cool weather conditions. If it turns cold, I have a pair of 400 gram insulated Cabelas/Danner that are similar to this https://www.danner.com/men/hunt/santiam-8-brown-400g.html. A good pair of Kenetrek or KUIU gaiters are helpful in wet or snowy conditions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.15.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.15.14 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.15.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.15.19 AM.png
    730.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.15.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.15.28 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.15.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.15.29 AM.png
    537.1 KB · Views: 43
This is what I wore for pheasant hunting in SD in late November. Multiple layers of Kuiu gear and Durbarry Galway boots. You might not need the orange vest but underneath it I had waterproof rain gear, mid layer, merino wool (another mid layer in day pack), bottoms were storm rain pants, attack pants, merino wool long johns. Temps were from 10 to 45 or so.

full

This is what I wore for pheasant hunting in SD in late November. Multiple layers of Kuiu gear and Durbarry Galway boots. You might not need the orange vest but underneath it I had waterproof rain gear, mid layer, merino wool (another mid layer in day pack), bottoms were storm rain pants, attack pants, merino wool long johns. Temps were from 10 to 45 or so.

full

Always liked those boots. Very cool.

Thanks!
Hello W. my favourite are Asolo mod. Lagazuoi GV, and Scarpa mod. Ladakh GTX. The first one is lighter and easier to break-in, the second is a bit tougher and heavier, but maybe better in steep mountains. Both are of outstanding quality, and I used both in the same purpose you will. One advice I would give you, is to use them a lot before the hunt, break-in very well, get used in them with the same soks you will adopt during the hunt. Give a chance at that two Italian brands: you'll not be disappointed.

Boots check out. Salomon or White’s. Good boots reasonable prices
Pack, if it’s something you will use a lot in the future, Kuiu. If your not going to use it in the future or just day hunts. Eberlestock X2 is a good pack, for the price

Stone Glacier and Kifaru for the packs, have tried others. They just carry the weight the best for me. Whatever pack you decide on make sure it has solid stays. Some of the packs mentioned above will not take a lot of weight.​

Boots, I like Lathrop and sons. Take what everyone tells you with a grain of salt. Boots will not fit everyone the same, try on as many as you can. You might want to go up 1/2 a size too, your feet will probably swell with all the hiking and if you plan on using thicker socks that will only add to the issue. Mole skin, take it, could be the difference between an enjoyable hunt or missing time in the field. It is cheap insurance.

Once you get your gear, load up you pack with weights and go for a walk. 30# up to whatever you can reasonably handle. 30# every thing felt fine, when the weight got over 60#, well then you started finding things. Had an EXO pack, under 50#s was very comfortable. Tried it with 80#s hang it up. The belt system was not good for my body type. Use everything before you go, the last thing you want is to start out on a trip with untested gear to figure out it is not working the way you thought.

Socks, like others have mentioned Darn Tough, Farm to Feet, and Smartwool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTup

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.