Elephant caliber

A correctly placed frontal or side head/brain shot with a high quality solid ( Barnes, Woodleigh, etc) out of your 375 will cleanly kill the elephant. Pick the 300 or 350 gr bullet that gives you the best precision. If you still want the 458 but have not bought one, the go with the 458 Lott. Look at a pre-owned CZ 550 Safari. CZ quit making these in 2020. I borrowed my PH's in the Outback and killed two fine buff. Well made before 2020. As for elephant, I have killed two, both with Heym Express bolt rifle in 500NE. Look at Ammoseek.com for ammo.
 
I'm starting to put my mind towards wanting to complete my Big 5. With that in mind, I'm trying to decide on a caliber for an elephant. I currently have a Winchester M70 in .375 H&H for everything else. I originally was going to go with a .458 Win Mag but from what I've been reading/researching, there's mixed reviews on the Win Mag for elephant. So then I've been looking at the .458 Lott. I don't have the $15-75k+ for a double rifle (my plan is a non-trophy elephant and a green rhino hunt) and I want something that I can still buy commercial ammo for. Therefore, my two choices of the Win Mag and the Lott.

For those of you with actual elephant experience, is the Win Mag enough juice or do I need the Lott? Especially if SHTF and a charge occurs.
The 458 Win Mag is enough provided you stay within 50 yards/meters though the 416 Rigby/Rem calibers are very fashionable/effective.
 
A correctly placed frontal or side head/brain shot with a high quality solid ( Barnes, Woodleigh, etc) out of your 375 will cleanly kill the elephant. Pick the 300 or 350 gr bullet that gives you the best precision. If you still want the 458 but have not bought one, the go with the 458 Lott. Look at a pre-owned CZ 550 Safari. CZ quit making these in 2020. I borrowed my PH's in the Outback and killed two fine buff. Well made before 2020. As for elephant, I have killed two, both with Heym Express bolt rifle in 500NE. Look at Ammoseek.com for ammo.
Honestly though, for elephant I’d trust whatever rifle you handle best under pressure more than just chasing bigger caliber numbers.
 
The 375 H&H is all you need. It's a great DG round that also includes elephants. Of course, if you want another rifle just to have another rifle.......
 
Back in the good old days of hunting elephant in the highland rain forests of Ethiopia, after trial and some near fatal error,
we chambered every .458 WM in the company on out to .458 Lott.
 
I askes the same question a while ago
Consensus was for ele and hippo
" if your hunting pacyderms it needs to start with a .4"
So i got 1 gun and its a 404 its gonna be what i put my memoriess in
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,571,295
Members
169,335
Latest member
Mark225
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top