Eland

As much as I love the venerable .30-06, I reckon they're on the light side for eland. In fact in Zim, its not even legal to use the .30-06 on eland (or giraffe and lion for that matter). Its a big animal, use enough gun. The .375 is just perfect! With a good A frame or Bear claw, you're good to go. I have hunted eland in SA, Zim and Moz, and no where do they even come close to the eland of the Niassa Reserve. Truly an awesome animal! I took this one with a client with a .416 and we certainly didn't feel over gunned (Buff were also on the menu, so that might have had something to do with it!)

eland october.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I love the venerable .30-06, I reckon they're on the light side for eland. In fact in Zim, its not even legal to use the .30-06 on eland (or giraffe and lion for that matter). Its a big animal, use enough gun. The .375 is just perfect! With a good A frame or Bear claw, you're good to go. I have hunted eland in SA, Zim and Moz, and no where do they even come close to the eland of the Niassa Reserve. Truly an awesome animal! I took this one with a client with a .416 and we certainly didn't feel over gunned (Buff were also on the menu, so that might have had something to do with it!)
The OP plans on using a 340 Weatherby with 250 grain Nosler Partition bullets.

Thanks for all the feedback you guys are getting me more excited about hunting eland. Up til now my favorite plains game animal is the kudu but that may change after this trip. The farm we're hunting on is just over 100,000 acres and not high fenced so it should provide for a good tracking hunt like everyone has been suggesting. I'm getting pumped. I'll be using my 340 Weatherby, probably with 250g Nosler Partitions.
Just something to keep in mind. Eland will travel huge distances, so they may or may not be on a farm on a particular day or time of year. This makes it an even better trophy when you are successful.

Agree with everything said, its a really fun hunt. They are big and powerful, use enough gun. I used a 338 win mag with 225 barnes x, put 3 shots in a small triangle on his shoulder at 150 yards, and he tipped over. He mighta been dead on the hoof after the fist shot but I wasn't going to take any chances. Enjoy that hunt, it will be awesome.

Thanks for all the feedback you guys are getting me more excited about hunting eland. Up til now my favorite plains game animal is the kudu but that may change after this trip. The farm we're hunting on is just over 100,000 acres and not high fenced so it should provide for a good tracking hunt like everyone has been suggesting. I'm getting pumped. I'll be using my 340 Weatherby, probably with 250g Nosler Partitions.
Ok let's don't get go get delirious now !! Kudu is still the PG KING !! :ROFLMAO:

I took an eland several years ago with a 30'06 using 180gr Nosler partitions. When hit he became drunk, staggered about 70 yds and collapsed. Shot just behind the shoulder, low in the lungs, one shot kill. Nothing wrong with the '06 or the Nosler partition bullet.

Ok let's don't get go get delirious now !! Kudu is still the PG KING !! :ROFLMAO:
I think you are confused lol. Here’s my personal best eland and personal best kudu. I’ll pick the eland every time if standing next to each other.
72E7F42F-2F3F-4EED-8D2F-8F8648039824.jpeg
FF08189B-E2F8-4B58-9F70-E213C88336FA.jpeg

You'd probably pick a White Claw over a 12 yr scotch also :ROFLMAO: That kudu is quite fabulous !
I would not choose the white claw, but don’t have a very average bushbuck stand off to the side of the eland and kudu. I’d have a very angry PH.

I would not choose the white claw, but don’t have a very average bushbuck stand off to the side of the eland and kudu. I’d have a very angry PH.
So true, any old bushbuck ram is the trophy of kings. But eland are great fun and who can argue that a kudu is a sneaky bugger.

I'll look into some of those other bullets and maybe pick up a few if I can find any, but I've had really good luck with the Noslers. I usually shoot 210g partitions for most everything but have used the 250's a few times. My wife shot a 1600 lb B&C WY buffalo in '99 that died quickly with one shot. We've also shot a number of moose and a bunch of elk with that gun. I use 210's on the elk.
While I use the Barnes TTSX in my 30-06 I can honestly say there is nothing wrong with the Nosler Partition for an eland. Particularly a 250 grain 338 caliber. The 338 Win mag using the same bullet has been a standard brown bear round in Alaska for a long time for a reason. If you hand load it wouldn't hurt to use a bonded or monometal bullet, if you are using factory ammo keep using what works. I personally took my eland with a 300 Win Mag with 180 grain PMP soft point ammo. One properly placed shot brought it to the ground, another for insurance.

I too went after eland in Namibia, and left without one. They can disappear into the mopane amazingly well and if it's clear and kinda hot they can switch to mostly nocturnal activity. I saw a mature bull once in that hunt. The next time in the East Cape of South Africa worked, but that bull ducked and weaved into the brush amazingly well too. Don't let the size deceive you into thinking they're easy to find.

I just hunted my first Eland in Namibia last October. Absolutely great hunt. After several hours of tracking we made contact with a herd of cows that had three bulls hanging off to the side. It was my first time to be close to these animals. The difference in size and color is amazing. They look like massive blue-gray mountains, moving through the cow herd. Great animal, great hunt, and the best eating I have ever had.

I just hunted my first Eland in Namibia last October. Absolutely great hunt. After several hours of tracking we made contact with a herd of cows that had three bulls hanging off to the side. It was my first time to be close to these animals. The difference in size and color is amazing. They look like massive blue-gray mountains, moving through the cow herd. Great animal, great hunt, and the best eating I have ever had.
Who did you hunt with in Namibia, I haven’t been yet and would love a true tracking hunt for eland there?

AKNY5501.JPG

As you can see here, Eland can live in pretty rough country. We spent two days spotting and stalking, then a half day getting him packed out of the truck. Really a fantastic experience.

Last edited:

I wouldn't think twice about that combo, if you shoot it well, just roll with it. I've used a 338WM with 225gr partitions in Africa for a pile of PGs, it has never failed to preform well.

I used a 300 shooting 225gr eld-x bullets, dropped in his tracks at 300ish.

Last edited:
Those 250 gr NPs will work but not quite as reliably as TSXs, A-Frames or TBBCs. In this case and that animal, higher impact velocity out of something like the 340 at the most likely range of less than 100 yds, is not your friend. Perfectly placed shots, that don’t have to plow through heavy bone or a drum full of wet fodder… no problem. But field conditions/angles are rarely perfect or predictable. I’m with all the posts suggesting a tougher bullet. Bullet/ammo is not the place to go half-arsed based on DRT anecdotes or stories. Eland bulls are big, tough animals.

A free range or huge property eland hunt is one of Africa's great experiences. The traditional way to do it in Namibia is to find a set of tracks at a waterhole early in the morning and to walk him down. It is very similar to a buffalo hunt. My cape eland was taken after two demanding days of tracking. On the first, we were blown after six hours by a young satellite bull that winded us setting the whole group off toward Botswana in a cloud of clicking (you'll hear it) dust. The next day we spent around four hours on a track, and I made a free hand shot at a patch of shoulder in the thick stuff. He is both mature and a high SCI gold.

38 Eland - Eden Namibia

The second was a Livingstone from the Zambezi Delta of Mozambique. There we spent three full days following tracks, maneuvering around herds, and finally taking a tremendous old bull on the last day of the hunt. He also scores very high.

Livingstone Eland - Mozambique

What you don't want to do is pot one of these magnificent creatures from a waterhole. Tell your PH you would love to try to walk him down. He will be thrilled.
Wow! Beautiful animals @redleg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois