EBOLA Contract?

Oh yeah, although I scrupulously avoid still water, I've done a lot of tiger and vundu fishing in the white water of the lower Zambesi--up to my chest fishing with one eye out for crocs and the other eye on a big bull hippo 50 yards out.

just got back from 3 days on the lower zambezi , fishing from below the mupata gorge to up river just past the big 5 lodge on the zim side and didnt see any of this white water..............mostly brownish in colour :confused: and i would love to see you try and take a vundu standing chest deep in water, as i have a sneaking suspicion it would take you for a ride instead ;)

A

Agreed. You should be quite safe. It is also true that an African-travelor has a lot more to worry about than Ebola. I certainly wouldn't plan a hunting trip into Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea at the present time but other nations are probably safe--from Ebola that is. Certainly other diseases are more common but likely more survivable. Malaria--especially Falciparum malaria--is still a big killer. HIV is a big problem in Africa and it is very important to avoid any kind of blood contact with Africans, or anyone else, for that matter. I heard of an American in a multi-passenger taxi in Lusaka. There was a traffic accident in which the American was cut up. The American remembers that an African, with blood running down his arm onto the American, helped him up. The American got HIV.

Other diseases to worry about are African tick bite fever and Q-fever, both of which are borne by ticks. I've had both diseases and experienced years of ill-health because of them. Check your skin for ticks. One poster here, mentioned wading around in the water, I think, of Mozambique. Make no mistake about it, wading around in the still water [running water is probably safe] of any African country is to take an unacceptable risk. Bilharzia [Schistosoma haemotobium] is a huge problem. Many back country Africans have it and, via urination, contaminate the water. The larvae penetrate completely intact skin such as the skin of the feet or legs. Bilharzia is not only debilitating but causes most cases of urinary tract cancer in Africa.

Spoonieduck, seems you are really painting a dark picture of Africa, your scenario about contacting HIV, seems like a one in a billion chance...I certainly don't put my clients in a "multi-passenger" taxi, don't know of any other hunting outfitter that would.

Bilharzia, I have never met any one or heard of any one getting the disease. And I have waded through enough swamps in my life and still will.

Malaria, that is one to worry about, but very treatable. I have had malaria twice in my 13 years of hunting in Mozambique. I don't take any anti-malaria pills because of the amount of time I am there. The first time I got malaria, I was still in Mozambique, cost me about 5 dollars to be treated, second time I only got the malaria once back in South Africa, nine days later, cost over 500 dollars to treat. If you been in a malaria area and feel as though you got flu symptoms just get tested for malaria. Malaria does kill but in real remote rural areas.

Tick bite fever....if you can handle a hangover, you will survive tick bite fever..Q-fever..?

One that does make me nervous is lead poisoning...had two bullets between my legs and three past the ear.

just got back from 3 days on the lower zambezi , fishing from below the mupata gorge to up river just past the big 5 lodge on the zim side and didnt see any of this white water..............mostly brownish in colour :confused: and i would love to see you try and take a vundu standing chest deep in water, as i have a sneaking suspicion it would take you for a ride instead ;)

I do hope your going to post some pictures and a report ,mate ...........specially of this vundu

Last edited:
The only "contract " I think I would need would be, in case flights were canceled (due to a quarantine) (which would be my luck) that the outfitter would provide suitable housing until I found a job locally. Then I could find my own housing. Stuck in Africa (with a gun) phucking sounds good if you ask me... I agree with spike, except the fact that the US government has NO plan. He appointed a "czar "(nonetheless) who has no knowledge of Ebola ...??? That's what scares me about the disease, not the disease, but the ignorance.

Okay....we all have to die sometime. Might as well go out doing what you love to do most. LOL! I'm sorry. You are FAR more likely to die of influenza than you will from Ebola. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/15/opinion/frank-bruni-scarier-than-ebola.html?_r=0 Matter of fact, I'll eat my hat if anyone on this site ever dies from Ebola. How many of you actually eat right and exercise on a regular basis? For those who don't, that alone will kill off most.....but do you see people freaking out over that? And how many of you smoke....even cigars (which are higher in nicotine)? Trust me. I'm all about taking care of yourself and prevention. I'm surrounded by health professionals, a gym rat, and eat an anti-inflammation diet. I say....enjoy that occasional visit to Dunkin Donuts, just make sure you wash your hands afterwards. :)

While I have absolutely no fear of ebola as to the areas I will travel in, comparing one fearsome affliction to another even worse is a little like ignoring a rattlesnake by you because you know there are deadlier snakes out there. Just use common sense, a few normal precautions, and live life the best you can!

Ok K-man, that is way to much common sense for a public forum!

Well on the other hand, this public forum seems to be way ahead of most when it comes to common sense and sensible advise.

+1 to that about this forum. Lots of great people on this site!

I saw this and thought it be relevant to post with all the Ebola "fear mongering" and straight out BS out there.
imrs.php

Attachments

• no-ebola-map.jpg
    no-ebola-map.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 97
I saw this and thought it be relevant to post with all the Ebola "fear mongering" and straight out BS out there.
imrs.php
How about a map of the U.S. with the same markings?

+1 on that! I need to send my relatives both maps.

I do hope your going to post some pictures and a report ,mate ...........specially of this vundu

bluey.....short video for you.

http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/river-monsters/videos/giant-vundu-caught-under-dam.htm

spike.t or other Africans that read this,

Have you ever seen the vundu walk on land?

I have heard of it in my youth but never seen it. One story was of a watercourse in the dry season. When a pool was about dried up and the birds would come in and start feeding on the fish, at night the vundu would make a night pilgrimage down the dry water course to the next pool a couple hundred yards away.

I feel like I trust the people that told me this but would like further verification if anyone has seen this.

Thanks.

thanks wheels,l like that blokes program.

bluey i found an old photo of a vundu caught in the luangwa at the reserve where we used to be involved with. finn was 7 yrs old then, and the other is dave who was our manager there at the time with one he caught he is holding it. this one could possibly have been the new luangwa record but we didnt have any scales there

zambia 2006 572.jpg
zambia nyimba fishing 064.jpg
zambia nyimba fishing 062.jpg

Spoonieduck, seems you are really painting a dark picture of Africa, your scenario about contacting HIV, seems like a one in a billion chance...I certainly don't put my clients in a "multi-passenger" taxi, don't know of any other hunting outfitter that would.

Bilharzia, I have never met any one or heard of any one getting the disease. And I have waded through enough swamps in my life and still will.

Malaria, that is one to worry about, but very treatable. I have had malaria twice in my 13 years of hunting in Mozambique. I don't take any anti-malaria pills because of the amount of time I am there. The first time I got malaria, I was still in Mozambique, cost me about 5 dollars to be treated, second time I only got the malaria once back in South Africa, nine days later, cost over 500 dollars to treat. If you been in a malaria area and feel as though you got flu symptoms just get tested for malaria. Malaria does kill but in real remote rural areas.

Tick bite fever....if you can handle a hangover, you will survive tick bite fever..Q-fever..?

One that does make me nervous is lead poisoning...had two bullets between my legs and three past the ear.
In terms of bilharzia, it is, indeed, a common infection although likely most people don't know they are infected. The parasite load tends to increase over the years due to multiple exposures. The people most at risk are farmers who spend a lot of time exposed to irrigation water and commercial fresh water fishermen. Generally speaking, most infected people are asymptomatic or only experience bouts of non-specific malaise--flu-like symptoms. Only the most severely infected show hematuria [blood in urine], bouts of chronic urinary tract infections and urinary tract cancer.

Now, there is a bilharzia-like condition in the U.S. but the symptoms are minor. There's a schistosomal parasite that's primary host is certain waterfowl. The parasitic cycle is bird to water snail back to birds. The parasite is not adapted to human beings, but the larvae have a try at it. The larvae are capable of penetrating human skin but human host resistance stops it on the spot. The larva dies producing a skin reaction resembling [and feeling like] chigger [red bug] bites. I have a couple of ponds frequented by numerous waterfowl. Twice I've had to go diving for lost fishing poles. All of my skin--face, arms, legs--not covered by clothing had a couple of dozens of schistosome "bites". I no longer go diving in my ponds.

African tick bite fever can be prevented with adequate prophylactic antibiotics. Even should a person become infected [with or without prophylaxis], he can be readily cured with appropriate antibiotics. Real problems arise, however, should the infected person not recognize that he is infected and therefore fails to get prompt treatment. Such individuals may experience chronic problems for years. It's a bit like Lyme Disease--also caused by a tick-borne bacterium. If it's treated promptly, complete cure. If it's missed, even appropriate antibiotics may not clear the bacterium from the victim's system. Q-Fever shows a similar pattern. It won't kill you but should the victim not be appropriately treated, he may have significant long-term problems.

Malaria? Most cases of malaria in southern Africa are Falciparum malaria--the worst variety. It is responsible for black water fever and cerebral malaria. There is real mortality. There is also no immunity even should you survive a case. I think we should all take prophylactic meds when in significantly malarious regions. One problem is, though, that in most areas of southern Africa there are only a few cases of malaria. Also, most malaria prophylactic drugs have certain side effects. Should a person take drugs with real side effects to avoid a remote chance of malaria? I generally don't because I've had problems with some of these drugs. So far, I've gotten away with it.

Another "cute" infection is Sleeping Sickness transmitted by tsetse flies. This disease is due to a microscopic trypanosome parasite. It causes Nagana--almost 100% lethal in livestock--but wild game is apparently immune to it. A mutant version of the same parasite causes sleeping sickness in humans. I've seen only one case and that was in a doctor's son. They were hunting in Botswanna. The father, who knew they'd been bitten by tsetse flies, immediately broke off the safari when his son fell ill. On the trip back, the boy's blood was tested a couple of times. When he arrived at my hospital, I examined his blood smear. It was loaded with trypanosome parasites. We got him on an experimental drug and he survived. Now I've been bitten by tsetse flies many times and have never had a problem. Then again, I probably never hit a real hot one.

In terms of lead poisoning, you made a joke but hit on something, anyway. People who are shot--even with lead bullets or fragments remaining in their bodies--rarely get lead poisoning. I think this is because the foreign body is quickly walled off by scar tissue with few blood vessels. The lead is then unavailable for absorption into the system. The rare exceptions are those people who have bullets in joint or body cavities. The lead bullet may them move around relatively freely and small amounts of surface lead oxides may be absorbed directly through the delicate membranes that line these cavities. I hope so, anyway, because I've been shot a couple of times, myself.

Off topic but I'll discuss vundu: I've only fished for them once so I'm not a great expert. My guide contacted me before the trip and asked me to bring a stiff salt water boat rod. I purchased one and brought it over. My guide, whose name will go unmentioned, took one look at it and laughed. He brought out the only rod he had that he considered suitable for vundu. It was thicker and less flexible than a broom stick. The reel was loaded with 100# line. He gave me strict instructions not to lose his rod. On his advice, I cranked the drag all the way down and baited it up with a big chuck of tough heart. I had a heavy lead weight and threw it out as far into the Zambesi as I could. The biggest problem was the current. Despite the heavy weight, the line would quickly be pulled down current until my bait was almost up against the bank. This meant that I had only a few seconds in which my bait was in 'vundu country'. This meant a lot of casting, retrieving and cleaning junk from my line. It would have been a lot easier from an anchored boat.

Well my first vundu struck when the line was almost directly in front of me. It hit like a ton of bricks and headed directly out into the strongest current. I was not about to lose my guide's precious broom stick so I held on for dear life which means I was pulled towards the water. Before I turned the fish I was definitely chest deep in the Zambesi. I got him, though, by fancy rod work and by reversing the fish's tactic. I backed out of the river and, once I had the fish in the shallows, I kept backing up until the fish was on more-or-less dry ground. I was afraid to grab it, being experienced with the dorsal and pectoral spines on channel cats. Turns out Vundu have no such spines.

Now in the U.S. BIG catfish are old catfish and aren't nearly as good to eat as smaller ones. My vundu, however, was superb. Steaks were more like pork chops than muddy catfish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShellieWei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!