Eastern Cape

D-Orcutt

AH veteran
Joined
Sep 15, 2021
Messages
189
Reaction score
262
Media
17
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Europe
1
What are some must hunt animals in the eastern cape, I enjoy seeing new places so if it’s my only trip there what should I make sure is in my list.
 
I would add cape grysbok to KMG ‘s list, I definitely should have hunted grysbok and a Vaal rhebok when I was there in 2018. Of course this depends on how you feel about the little ones.
 
Cape bushbuck and Vaal Rhebok were the first two animals I thought, but I would also want a true cape kudu, not one that has been supplemented with southern greater kudu genetics.
 
Vaal Rhebok was a fantastic hunt. I highly recommend it
 
The place I hunted had 6 or 7 of the tiny 10. Also had very large gemsbok. I didn’t think the eastern cape was known for gemsbok but apparently where I was has some of the best gemsbok genetics in SA. Caracal and bushbuck with hounds would be cool.
heck I would love to have a good ole drive with dogs for whatever tickled my fancy.
a trip for hunting all game with dogs would definitely be of interest to me.
 
What are some must hunt animals in the eastern cape, I enjoy seeing new places so if it’s my only trip there what should I make sure is in my list.
The EC has the largest diversity of game. EC Kudu, bushbuck, nyala, black wildebeest, burchells zebra, blue duiker, val rhebuck, are some that come to mind.
 
Mtn reedbuck occur in most of the same places as bushbuck and vallies-I would include them On a bucket list.
I would also echo the great diversity available in the ec including some very old cape kudu bulls with good size
AA06BD7C-28A3-47FC-9E1D-1E21D8A4ED61.jpeg
FF293286-7820-441D-922D-43D408D1C310.jpeg
 
Same as above mostly. Cape Kudu for sure along with Cape bushbuck. Then add Vaal Rhebok, and Mountain Reedbuck. Blue diker and Bushpig are good there also. Then anything else you might want.
 
I realize this thread is about specific species in eastern cape, but you should also consider the areas you will hunt. The eastern cape has been the most scenic area I’ve hunted in Africa. I split my hunt into two, part on coast and part in Karoo about 4 hours apart. Lots of landscape photos in my report.
 
If you’re doing the tiny 10 you might Also look at a Klipspringer. Cool little animals. I took a good lechwe in the East Cape. Also my best Impala. He was over 25 inches. The Vaalies are a wonderful animal to hunt too.
Bruce
 
Lechwe was a wonderful surprise! Mine came from the edge of the Karoo, which I agree you should visit while you are in the ec
19825CB7-59EA-4D00-A7A9-447C017CD752.jpeg
69861287-0CEA-4325-9976-48D0C9F46C24.jpeg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,232
Members
169,510
Latest member
SelenaWick
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top