Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC; DSCOK
Hunted
Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, South Africa (Limpopo, Northern Cape), Namibia
On September 12th-14th, Corey Mason (DSC/DSCF CEO), Erica Tergeson (DSC Government Affairs Director), and Tim Fallon (DSC Board President) organized a small group of DSC/DSCF Board members and staff to fly in to Washington DC and meet with legislators in conjunction with the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation banquet. Over a two day period the group met with many Senators, Congressman and their staffs to discuss current issues important to our efforts with conservation here in the US and internationally, such as the proposed Endangered Species Act rule changes and the ongoing problems with trophy imports for certain species. It was a whirlwind schedule including meetings with Senator James Lankford (OK), Congressman Tom Cole's (OK) staff, Senator Mark Wayne Mullen's (OK) staff, Congressman Jake Ellzey (TX), Congressman Ryan Zinke (MT), Senator Ted Cruz (TX), Congressman Bruce Westerman (AR), and multiple others at their offices or attending the banquet.
DSC leadership was well received and well known to many of these legislators and well-placed to continue fighting for conservation through hunting at the US Capitol. Many of the people we met with, like Congressman Ellzey, Congressman Zinke, and Congressman Westerman were very aware of the topics we were discussing and making every effort in their committees to aid sportsman, shooters, and anglers. In other offices I believe some eyes were hopefully opened to some of the overreach and harmful rule changes and practices of the current administration and USFWS.
IMG_3362.JPG
IMG_3366.JPG
IMG_7383.JPG
IMG_7409.JPG
IMG_9697.JPG
IMG_9709.JPG

For myself it was an interesting look at how our staff and board members in DSC are informing the people at the Capitol and the administrative agencies of the benefits of conservation-based hunting and the need to overcome some of the hurdles these very agencies are putting up to hinder those efforts. How Erica and Corey managed these meetings was mind boggling to me. With the number of people seeking time with these elected officials and the unplanned votes and committee hearings, Erica still got us in front of almost every legislator she had on the schedule and if not we met with their policy staffs. We were nearly in a jog all day from one office building to another on either side of the Capitol from one 30 minute meeting to another. I was somewhat of a fish-out-of-water, having never owned a suit in my life, but I enjoyed the opportunity to watch our people inform the Senators and Congressman of our positions and was encouraged at the responses we received. Obviously the outcomes will hinge greatly on future elections but it was nice to see such a mix of all parties in attendance at the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation banquet.
Mickey Adcox

Great job and thanks for all your help!

Excellent, great to let us know, appreciated!

Mickey

Thanks for the time you volunteer with DSC and for updating us with this thread. Also thanks for keeping hunting on the minds of our congressmen.

You may not own a suit but your dress hat puts everyone's suit to shame.;)

Mickey

Thanks for the time you volunteer with DSC and for updating us with this thread. Also thanks for keeping hunting on the minds of our congressmen.

You may not own a suit but your dress hat puts everyone's suit to shame.;)
Thanks Wheels. The hat did kind of stand out in DC more so than in Oklahoma.

Outstanding!!!

On September 12th-14th, Corey Mason (DSC/DSCF CEO), Erica Tergeson (DSC Government Affairs Director), and Tim Fallon (DSC Board President) organized a small group of DSC/DSCF Board members and staff to fly in to Washington DC and meet with legislators in conjunction with the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation banquet. Over a two day period the group met with many Senators, Congressman and their staffs to discuss current issues important to our efforts with conservation here in the US and internationally, such as the proposed Endangered Species Act rule changes and the ongoing problems with trophy imports for certain species. It was a whirlwind schedule including meetings with Senator James Lankford (OK), Congressman Tom Cole's (OK) staff, Senator Mark Wayne Mullen's (OK) staff, Congressman Jake Ellzey (TX), Congressman Ryan Zinke (MT), Senator Ted Cruz (TX), Congressman Bruce Westerman (AR), and multiple others at their offices or attending the banquet.
DSC leadership was well received and well known to many of these legislators and well-placed to continue fighting for conservation through hunting at the US Capitol. Many of the people we met with, like Congressman Ellzey, Congressman Zinke, and Congressman Westerman were very aware of the topics we were discussing and making every effort in their committees to aid sportsman, shooters, and anglers. In other offices I believe some eyes were hopefully opened to some of the overreach and harmful rule changes and practices of the current administration and USFWS.
View attachment 558910View attachment 558911View attachment 558912View attachment 558913View attachment 558914View attachment 558915

For myself it was an interesting look at how our staff and board members in DSC are informing the people at the Capitol and the administrative agencies of the benefits of conservation-based hunting and the need to overcome some of the hurdles these very agencies are putting up to hinder those efforts. How Erica and Corey managed these meetings was mind boggling to me. With the number of people seeking time with these elected officials and the unplanned votes and committee hearings, Erica still got us in front of almost every legislator she had on the schedule and if not we met with their policy staffs. We were nearly in a jog all day from one office building to another on either side of the Capitol from one 30 minute meeting to another. I was somewhat of a fish-out-of-water, having never owned a suit in my life, but I enjoyed the opportunity to watch our people inform the Senators and Congressman of our positions and was encouraged at the responses we received. Obviously the outcomes will hinge greatly on future elections but it was nice to see such a mix of all parties in attendance at the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation banquet.
Mickey Adcox
WONDERFUL! Thank you and DCS for fighting for the rights of hunter and keeping conservation in the forefront.

Great! Its awesome to see.

Lobbying requires lots of work, and most folks do not understand the energy that goes into it.

Thank You!

'Seems like a pretty narrow band of states represented, although it is the D-SC. A wider net should be casted to have all major hunting states represented and heard!!! Perhaps SCI, et. al. do that?

It's likely that SCI et. al. are covering this concern, but (knowing it's D.SC,) it seems a rather narrow band of state reps involved...DC needs to hear this from 48+/- other states!!! And, would the outcome be any different if they drove, walked or bicycled-in?? lol

'Seems like a pretty narrow band of states represented, although it is the D-SC. A wider net should be casted to have all major hunting states represented and heard!!! Perhaps SCI, et. al. do that?
No, nothing to do with the “D” or a band of states. It had to do with committee chairs and members that have certain issues in front of them right now. There is nothing regional or selective about DSC. And yes it will take SCI, CSF, DSC and every other organization available to preserve our hunting rights.

No, nothing to do with the “D” or a band of states. It had to do with committee chairs and members that have certain issues in front of them right now. There is nothing regional or selective about DSC. And yes it will take SCI, CSF, DSC and every other organization available to preserve our hunting rights.
D highlighting Dallas of course (a disaster nowadays, actually-like most cities. The reason COPS was on TV!) The name limits the membership. ;) Consider "Milky Way Safari Club!" 'has a good ring to it! lol IF I were a US rep, and "lobbyists" from only TX/OK showed up I'd hear you out and then go on with other imp't. business. That's what I was saying...

Awesome! Thank you, and thank you for posting this! (y):)

Thanks for posting a recap of the trip and for volunteering your time to go. Congressmen and women need to hear from "real" people instead of just paid lobbyists. We seldom see what effect we have immediately but keep up the fight.
Thanks again

D highlighting Dallas of course (a disaster nowadays, actually-like most cities. The reason COPS was on TV!) The name limits the membership. ;) Consider "Milky Way Safari Club!" 'has a good ring to it! lol IF I were a US rep, and "lobbyists" from only TX/OK showed up I'd hear you out and then go on with other imp't. business. That's what I was saying...
The group wasn’t just TX and OK. Board members and staff were from FL and VA as well in our small group.
I will be the first to believe many politicians will shake hands and take a pic and move on. However these were like minded politicians in a setting based around the CSF banquet who knew and recognized DSC as a major advocate for US and international hunting conservation. For the most part they were also very aware of the challenges this administration poses to our continued ability to hunt here and around the world. I was happy to see some of those we met with at the banquet and lunch were Democrats from CA and the Northeast sitting next to Republicans from MT and TX. I would like to do some research on how some of those Democrats actually vote on the issues, but at least that week, they were pro-hunting.

The group wasn’t just TX and OK. Board members and staff were from FL and VA as well in our small group.
I will be the first to believe many politicians will shake hands and take a pic and move on. However these were like minded politicians in a setting based around the CSF banquet who knew and recognized DSC as a major advocate for US and international hunting conservation. For the most part they were also very aware of the challenges this administration poses to our continued ability to hunt here and around the world. I was happy to see some of those we met with at the banquet and lunch were Democrats from CA and the Northeast sitting next to Republicans from MT and TX. I would like to do some research on how some of those Democrats actually vote on the issues, but at least that week, they were pro-hunting.
as you surmise, politicians will SAY whatev they have to and DO nothing. the way it is now. DJT performed. Our economy is Job 1 (energy/industry/ag/exports!) Dems are clueless and only survive on spinning fables to inner-city people and selling out to international sponsors. ATL also maximum crime area (like Dallas). it's just not appealing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.