Drillbit's Trophy Room Build

4vt5OhF.jpg

BpQXEYl.jpg

Low Voltage guys doing the last bit of speaker/CAT6 before everything gets closed up:
CAoEqHX.jpg

Attachments

• CAoEqHX.jpg
    CAoEqHX.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 318
  • BpQXEYl.jpg
    BpQXEYl.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 394
  • 4vt5OhF.jpg
    4vt5OhF.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 360
Your trophy room is going up very quickly, do you have an "in" with the contractor? What mounts do you already have to start "decorating" with? What others do you have plans for?

Just saw post. Looks really nice. Here is what I did. Room is 24x30 attached to house. Walls are 10 ft, vaulted to 14 ft then flat. I used sheet rock on all of ceiling and 1x6 tongue and groove No 3 or cabin grade poplar on all walls. Used clear satin water base polyurethane to seal wood. I can move mounts and screw holes are not obvious because of character of wood. Then used dropped track lighting with 2 tracks and moveable spot lights. See attached photos of a couple of sections. Lots of compliments on room esp wood. Waiting on buffalo to finish hanging remainder of mounts. Good luck.

20181220_223736.jpg
20181118_203833.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is going to be a beautiful trophy room. Congrats!!!

The contractors are motivated.
You are going to be sitting back in your arm chair by the end of January.

Smokepole - I love the look of the wood. Very clean and pops. I was debating on putting some up on the ceiling but it is pricey unless you are doing it yourself.

The contractor has been amazing - he has the guys working back to back, day after day. I think the workers are motivated to be paid in time for Christmas.

Workers are carrying up tiles for the roof. What a tough job!

20muBv9.jpg

Attachments

• 20muBv9.jpg
    20muBv9.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 292
Those tiles make for a very heavy roof. But they look nice.

Reactions: DCN
Looks like it's going to be quite the trophy room! Looking forward to seeing the finished product

@Drillbit Looks like you are off to a great start. I just got done and moved into a house we built and I did a nice size man cave. Your 30x40 dimension will be great and good choice in ceiling height too. My room is 20x30 and of course I wish it was a bit bigger. One thing you might strongly consider is putting 3/4" plywood on all the walls, before sheet rocking. That way you can hang anything anywhere you want and not have to find a stud. BTW, it looks like you are framing with 2x6 and that's a good choice for a taller, free standing structure. Going with the plywood will also help contribute to making a very strong structure.
I didn’t use the plywood and regret it. It totally limits how you can place your mounts. Good advice

Beautiful trophy room! I love the idea for the corners to maximize mounting space!

Hopefully you planned well for the outside walls, they filled them bad boys completely with foam. I don’t see any afterthought additions there without stripping it back to the studs.

Electrical and HVAC in. Spray foam insulation followed the very next day with 3/4" plywood. They are moving fast! In the corners I added 45 degree angles to allow for additional mounts and minimizing wasted space.

MYb4Dxs.jpg

Now that was smart man!

Now that was smart man!
Perfect. Finish the wall however you wish - I much prefer drywall and cool paint. You can hang where the muse directs - the studs are a non-issue.

Looks awesome!!!! Cant wait to see the finished product

Please don’t take offense, but I hate the canned lights in my house! They don’t point at anything and just create hot spots. I believe if I did it again, I’d put in track lights to highlight each trophy. JMO and probably as wrong as my canned lights(n)!

Please don’t take offense, but I hate the canned lights in my house! They don’t point at anything and just create hot spots. I believe if I did it again, I’d put in track lights to highlight each trophy. JMO and probably as wrong as my canned lights(n)!

You should look at some led can trims. they diffuse the light much better , are much brighter and use about 1/6 the wattage!

I will have both track lighting and can lights. All of them are on separate dimmers so I should have pretty good control of overall lighting. The only decision left is paint color. I'm leaning toward a tan color with some sort of faux effect to it to break it up a bit.

They worked hard right up to Christmas eve

yCmuMoE.jpg

dhv1uMK.jpg

RJ4fTra.jpg

Attachments

• yCmuMoE.jpg
    yCmuMoE.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 273
  • RJ4fTra.jpg
    RJ4fTra.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 251
  • dhv1uMK.jpg
    dhv1uMK.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 267
Yes 2x6 for framing. I'm putting on a tile roof so it needed extra support. And yes, adding 3/4" plywood on interior (idea I got off of this board). I'll have an HVAC unit above the closet with returns above the entry, so the interior space isn't compromised. Kitchenette - debated it but decided to pass and save money. Might put in some kind of liquor cabinet/butler's pantry type thing once completed.
wine rack???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosalineCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg