Doubles in Alaska, here and now

Post reply:
I also have a .500ne Merkel flavor, whuch I use for brown bears, etc, and cats, as in if I had to do Catepillars, w/tungsten solids. D8's and such.
The "old slow" 9.3x74R does a great job, fed the right bullets. Nothing gets threre but the bullet. Nothing. So it is ALL important. The bullet. PERIOD.
Best to you, happy shooting, mate, as the Kiwis say. h

Hi Harv, welcome to AH and it is nice to hear about your little Merkel Mod 141 9.3X74R double, and that you are happy with it. I also have two Merkel double rifles and both are my two favorite doubles for different purposes. I have a 140E-1 that is a 9.3X74R and for any place in North America it is the rifle I carry most often. The other is a 140-2 safari 470NE for the big bad boys, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a cape buffalo with the 9.3X74R with 286 gr Nosler partitions for the first shot, followed by several North Fork CPS copper expanding solids.
I have developed Macular degeneration so I am going to have to scope all my double rifles with lighted reticles so I can, at least, see the aiming point fairly clearly. I think the 9.3X74R Merkel will be the first done because it is the one I use the most and I think I will do a Docter Optic on the 470NE Merkel.
I've hunted Alaska, and Canada a lot and have used both double rifles and bolt rifles in both places, but, like you. I prefer the doubles.
................Again welcome here!(y)

Harv, welcome

I was so I missed the double shoot at birch wood too. Hope to see your rifle at a shoot in the future.

2017 Alaska double shoot is May 6, 10am Birchwood. Lunch at noon.
Cal

Hello Harv. You apparently have a "little one" 9.3 by 74r. I have a smaller one. 8 x 60r Also a Merkel. Wonderful gun and I love it.

I am sure yours is great too. You cant help liking doubles

Well done on the 9.3x74R I really love that round I'm just starting to load for it what heads are you using ?
Cheers
Wayne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross