Double tap or safety shot!!

Wow, same here! I almost can't believe that he just said that. Furthermore, I have never even heard of an outfitter doing that on a Whitetail hunt!
He didn't - he said it eight years ago. ;) :E Shrug:

But to your point, I am not going whitetail hunting with any guide who brings a rifle with him - much less actually intends to use it.

He didn't - he said it eight years ago. ;) :E Shrug:

But to your point, I am not going whitetail hunting with any guide who brings a rifle with him - much less actually intends to use it.
But remember, more "undead" whitetail bucks have injured more hunters in the US than any other big game animal. Maybe the guide SHOULD be carrying a "stopping" DR? Ha! Ha! Ha!

But remember, more "undead" whitetail bucks have injured more hunters in the US than any other big game animal. Maybe the guide SHOULD be carrying a "stopping" DR? Ha! Ha! Ha!
Deer do indeed injure more people than any other North American wildlife - but most are through auto accidents.

Last edited:
3 Hunts in RSA and 1 in Namibia - personally, I’d prefer it if they didn’t shoot but understand in terms of safety and if the animal is suffering and I don’t have a shot

Hunt 1 (PG RSA) is the only hunt I’ve had the PH take a shot. It was after I made a poor shot with the bow on an Impala. The PH had another PH bring both our rifles and while tracking it started fighting with the dogs. I’ve got a bum knee and can’t run as well as I should the PH got there first. The only time the PH carried a rifle this hunt was while Bushbuck hunting because they knew they had an overly aggressive bull hippo in the area.

Hunt 2 (DG RSA) - PH carried a rifle and told me from the start he’d only shoot if our safety was at risk or I said otherwise.

Hunt 3 (DG RSA) - Same situation as above. Wasn’t required.

Hunt 4 (PG/DG Namibia) - PH only carried a rifle while stalking the elephant. Wasn’t successful but we’d talked before and his plan was to not shoot unless safety was a concern. There was one stalk where he recommended shooting due to location and time running out.

Too funny!

The day I need anyone to back me up on a whitetail will be the same day I need help changing the tennis balls on my walker.

Having said that, I caught up to a buck I’d been stalking with a bow. He was below me in a ravine trying to circle back and I put an arrow down through his boiler room…or so I thought. He dropped like a stone and I sat by the big rock I’d hid behind and watched him for about 20 minutes while I finished shaking. He never moved a muscle.
I never approach one that’s down without a nocked arrow, so when I went to touch an eye with the arrow, his very much alive front end came around to get me. I had spined him and revenge was his priority. It was a good thing that he was close to expiring as he was weak but it didn’t stop an antler from tearing off a belt loop as I sidestepped. :oops: Even so, I drew and finished him, without the aid of a backup from a gun.
So yes, agreed, the “dead” ones are to be approached with care…but a back up on a whitetail? Probably not.
Ever been squirrel hunting and picked one up you thought was done in? :ROFLMAO: It may or may not hurt you badly when it bites but it will surely fill your shorts! I wonder what back up is appropriate for that.:unsure:

Last edited:
Too funny!

The day I need anyone to back me up on a whitetail will be the same day I need help changing the tennis balls on my walker.

Having said that, I caught up to a buck I’d been stalking with a bow. He was below me in a ravine trying to circle back and I put an arrow down through his boiler room…or so I thought. He dropped like a stone and I sat by the big rock I’d hid behind and watched him for about 20 minutes while I finished shaking. He never moved a muscle.
I never approach one that’s down without a nocked arrow, so when I went to touch an eye with the arrow, his very much alive front end came around to get me. I had spined him and revenge was his priority. It was a good thing that he was close to expiring as he was weak but it didn’t stop an antler from tearing off a belt loop as I sidestepped. :oops: Even so, I drew and finished him, without the aid of a backup from a gun.
So yes, agreed, the “dead” ones are to be approached with care…but a back up on a whitetail? Probably not.
Ever been squirrel hunting and picked one up you thought was done in? :ROFLMAO: It may or may not hurt you badly when it bites but it will surely fill your shorts! I wonder what back up is appropriate for that.:unsure:
I had to laugh about the squirrel not being "quite done". I have had that experience when I was a kid with a squirrel and with a coon. The coon was hanging from my saddle horn when he let me know "it was a mere flesh wound". Trying to get the coon to let go and still stay on my now excited horse was quite interesting. :LOL:

Back on topic, unless there is a safety issue, everybody else needs to stay out of it.

Safe hunting

Deer do indeed injure more people than any other North American wildlife - but most are through auto accidents.
Although, I remember reading an article about three years ago, where an older gentlemen had shot a whitetail buck in West Virginia. He went to get his "dead" deer, and the deer "awoke" and stabbed him in his heart with an antler and killed him. I'm staying with elk hunting as it's safer. LOL

Too funny!

I'm never hunting whitetail bucks! OR squirrels, without a back up! LOL

Unless it's a life or death situation, or the PH has my permission, they better not "Double tap" my shot, or they can pay the trophy fee. Following up my shot ,with their own, a nano second after, is something that would really irk me.

No offense to the PH's.
The "nano second" after shots seem proof that the PH was not correcting a bad shot, just preventing the possibility of one, and that would irk me, too.

I have a question. The scenario is while looking for DG game a wounded DG (elephant) shot by a hunter from another hunting party crosses your path. Do you kill it or let it keep going on its way. If you do kill it do you have to claim it as yours.

In my experience in Mozambique last year, a government Game Scout accompanied us on all of our hunts.

He could "make the call" if he felt like a dangerous animal needed dispatching, and the government would claim it.

He gave the OK for my PH to shoot 3 problem lions. (We didn't run across them while we were hunting).

In my experience in Mozambique last year, a government Game Scout accompanied us on all of our hunts.

He could "make the call" if he felt like a dangerous animal needed dispatching, and the government would claim it.

He gave the OK for my PH to shoot 3 problem lions. (We didn't run across them while we were hunting).
Thanks. Is it normal for a government Game Scout to accompany hunting parties? This is the first time I have read this on this website, or any other.

I don't know about other African countries, but it was in Mozambique.

My only other experience was in South Africa. I believe there, with maybe some limited exceptions, the property owner (which is usually a rancher, and not the government) owns the animals. My guess would be that the property owner there expects to be paid for a dead animal, regardless of the circumstances.

I doubt that ranchers let many elephants roam on their property because they are so destructive.

Last edited:
On my paid hunt, I want to shoot my animal and finish it myself.
Medium game.. but things can go wrong, and a sure shot can turn out bad, ie a gut shot or leg shot must be finished asap. I would like the guide to carry a rifle too.. Obviously it's going to be slung 99% of the time. But if searching for a wounded animal and if spread out he can finish it. Also a rifle can fail, and a second rifle immediately at hand is great.
Dangerous game.. again I want to kill my own animal. But after my 2 shots if it's running and getting away, or under 15m charging then the PH can shoot.
Dangerous game.. on a different notes, as an outfitter, myself and guides discuss this and all safety issues before the hunt starts. 98% want to shoot their own animal from start to finish.. and as discussed the guide only shoots if it's getting away or close and charging. 2% want us to shoot after as well, to make sure it's down.. however we still hold back if it's looking good and we don't need to.
The Problem... Some guides also want to load, and aim... and boom off goes their shot aswell. I've had new guides do this, they have been reprimanded.

I don't like this. Personally I am concentrating on helping the hunter place his shot perfect.. I am often watching through the binos.
I heard a story of a German hunter, not impressed by the previous animal/s and a number of PHs appearing for his Elephant hunt.. the hunt got closer and closer, the situation I guess overly exciting... all of a sudden a volley of shots.. The Eli was down.. the German hunter approached his main guide and said I did not shoot, I am not paying, as he opened his double with live rounds.!!

Some people i have guided out right refuse, some ask for help and some never even knew it could happen!! I am talking about the Professional hunter following up with a shot of his own right behind the clients to finish an animal and stop it from running off wounded. I would be interested to hear your thoughts/preferences?

I am not sure what others refer to it as, but I call it a "safety shot". Basically when a client fires, the professional hunter follows it up with a quick shot of his own in the correct area, directly after.
As a PH I often find this topic to be a bit of a taboo and discuss it in depth with my clients before hand to make sure they are comfortable with the notion of it before setting out on a hunt. Most are seasoned hunters and would frown at the idea of another putting a bullet in their prized trophy, while some are nervous and would rather the animal go down immediately than spend 3 days of their 10 day safari tracking a wounded animal.
I understand that under certain circumstances it is difficult to put in a "safety shot", but what I would like to know is have you ever requested it? Been offered it or had it done without your knowledge?
Not sure if this is similar (mostly because I am not registered to hunt dangerous game and so have not put clients onto a dangerous animal) but is the same sort of thing discussed when a PH is required to put down a charging buffalo/lion/leopard or is it standard operating procedure amongst big 5 hunting that the PH will have the final say on a wounded animal? (I know the answer "generally" from speaking with other PHs but Im interested in the general mass of hunters)

Thanks and happy hunting as all ways!;)
None of the above....
PH should only shoot if the wounded animal has chance of escaping or when life is at danger...this story of "immediate backup shots" is not on....
Yes an experenced PH would have discussed with the client before hand and situations differ but this bang bang.crap you see on videos is not on.....Sullivan is one of them.....wait dont shoot....no not now....take him take him....bang bang bang....bs.....

Eg. Hunting elephant ckient wants to do a brain shot....bang....elephant turns yes the PH should shoot....

Most times on any other game get client into good position....make sure client is comfortable with the shot(something you should have discussed before the time) and let him hunt his animal and do your work after.....

What were you doing for the those 90 yards after you fired your rifle? We’re you even with the PH or 2 steps to the rear?

I know you didn’t ask me, and I don’t know what Brad did. But one part of the PH’s job is to ensure a safe hunt for the client. As a client you do what the PH tells you to do, it’s for your own good and the PH’s also. My typical experience has been the PH leads the way with me either by his side or just a step or two behind and to his side if possible. Exact positioning also depends on the cover.

Each and every situation is different. In some situations it’s fairly obvious when the animal drops at the shot and doesn’t so much as flinch on the way down and after. In other situations it’s not so obvious. Either way don’t make any assumptions. The approach is with eyes on the animal and proceeds with caution. And why wouldn’t you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeannaDost

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg