Double Rifle Practice

I booked my first elephant hunt for late august. I started training on Sunday. In addition to loosing about 40lbs,I need to become totally proficient with my rifle. With the exception of stopping a charging medium/small whitetail deer with my krieghoff double in 2019, I really haven’t shot it much in recent years.

I’ve got a lot of work to do on my unloading/reloading. After spending some time practicing in the house with spent brass, I think I can save time by using gravity to clear the spent rounds, but I need to practice on the range to see if that works with hot brass.
This video is from my first run Sunday. I dont even have an ammo belt yet which is why you see me digging around in my pocket for shells.

Y’all follow along and see if I get any better over the next several months.

If anyone has any recommendations for practice drills please share.


View attachment 397434
 
Your second shot will be running. Also practice not using sticks, this was my case on my elephant hunt. Your shot will probably be less than 25 yards, mine was 30 feet. STUDY anatomy of elephant. Frontal brain shot is extremely difficult go for heart/lung.
 
Here we go again .We receive many double rifle hunters in our Consetion in the swamps of Argentina Mesopotamia.Many of them want training classes .First day we shoot double trigger s/s 12 gauge shotguns shooting pidgeons and doves and next day we move to the rifle .
Cheers from Argentina.
 
Interesting that this thread has come back around. When I posted this I was just getting back into dangerous game hunting after a long break caused by life.

Since the initial post I’ve taken 20 or so animals from honey badger to elephant with the double.

My grip and stance are better and more natural. I upgraded to ejectors. I also switched to reloading with my left hand shaving off a bit of time there. In general my confidence ability has grown considerably since that first video.

I may be facing another little break from dangerous game while I’ve got really little ones at home. We shall see what kind of hall passes I can manage. I haven’t shot my double in over a year. I need to make sure to break it out and shoot every few months.

I also have it on my things to do list to send my rifle in to Krieghoff for service and maybe see about picking up a set of 20ga barrels to create more opportunities for off season practice.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,348
Messages
1,573,689
Members
169,825
Latest member
tyaumiu
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top